How to fix a lavalier microphone with Teraok tape on one's body?

ZhuYunhao

Hello everyone,m new here.I want to communicate with people here about some experience during film making,mostly about sound.

Sometimes we have to use wireless microphone during location sound recording,but how to fix a lavlier microphone(or button mic in the US?)on actor's body firmly with less noise?I find many ways to fold the BIG POWER TAPE(forgive my ignorance) and finally pick up the best one for me.I used to use 2 small pieces of triangle and put the microphone in the middle and then merge the 2 triangle together,but it is too thick and is easy to be found.so,what is your way to fix the lavalier mic? Or is there a kind of special appliance to fix the mic?

Forgive my bad English and i appreciate all the replies ,thanks:)

post-7267-0-42296800-1363428689_thumb.jp

post-7267-0-56819000-1363428693_thumb.jp

post-7267-0-70929100-1363428695_thumb.jp

4.post-7267-0-87295600-1363428697_thumb.jp

5.post-7267-0-92054800-1363428699_thumb.jp

6.post-7267-0-15588800-1363428807_thumb.jp

7.post-7267-0-19454800-1363428809_thumb.jp

8.post-7267-0-01525800-1363428824_thumb.jp

9.post-7267-0-82404600-1363428836_thumb.jp

10.post-7267-0-79437500-1363428842_thumb.jp

11.post-7267-0-65081300-1363428848_thumb.jp

12.post-7267-0-04410100-1363428861_thumb.jp

post-7267-0-78373500-1363428804_thumb.jp

Edited by ZhuYunhao

Hi there Zhu!

I would recommend checking out my iBook entitled Down to the Wire. It is available in the iBookstore for iPad. It will be available for more formats by NAB (Kindle, iOS iPhone and all Android Devices as standalone apps as well)!

Check out the link here:

~Thomas Popp
Video Mantis Inc.
thomas@videomantis.com

dealing with hiding little mic's on actors is a frequent topic here on jwsoundgroup.net

we call the little mics lav or lavs and Google searching with jwsoundgroup.net as the first search term will help.

the sticky triangle is an oldie but goodie technique that has been popular for years...

it also helps to insure that the lav cord is slack, sometimes by adding a stress loop

Very good comments above! And thanks to Vasileios for the list!

We should probably have a "sticky" section on the site for "Frequently Asked Questions" with a list of links, like "what's the best microphone for this situation," or "what techniques work best for avoiding clothing noise with lavalier mics?" or the age-old favorite, "what's the best frequency for wireless transmitters in This Area?"

[The words IT DEPENDS should be in there somewhere.]

Thom's book is a great place to start. BTW,from now on, I'm going to use the term Power Tape. Very descriptive!

Thank you for the recommendation:)

Haha~in China everyone in the film crew calls this kind of tape "Power Tape",because it can almost stick and fix everything .Usually the assistant of a recordist or a photographer will tie the "Power Tape"on his waist in case.

But...actually what do you call the tape?Dose the tape has a term in the US?

Rycote Undercovers & Overcovers (http://www.rycote.com/applications/lavalier/)

SoundGuys Solutions Lav-Strap (http://www.trewaudio.com/store/Lav-Strap.html)

Also read here:

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

Please don't use bolt and the big size letters.

:)

Roger that,i won't use bolt and the big size letters ~

Thanks for all the links you fond for me,i'll read them latter carefully:)

dealing with hiding little mic's on actors is a frequent topic here on jwsoundgroup.net

we call the little mics lav or lavs and Google searching with jwsoundgroup.net as the first search term will help.

the sticky triangle is an oldie but goodie technique that has been popular for years...

it also helps to insure that the lav cord is slack, sometimes by adding a stress loop

I see...Thanks for your patient reply:)

When I asked my teacher about the use of lavs ,he once said there are other special ways and rigs to fix the lavs in hollywood film making except for "sticky triangles".But I didn't konw the ways or the rigs exactly.At least in China,we have continued to use the sticky triangle way for a long time and no more advanced methods in use.Of cause what m saying is aimed at film making where lavs should be concealed without trace.(not docmentary or programs so that lavs can be exposed in the camera) .

I'm very glad to see your professionl advices and experience you shared with me.I think it is very helpful to get to konw the general workflow and some trick about film making from recordists all over the world.

:)

Zhu, I'm a huge fan of the Rycote undercovers and stickies. I'm guessing they're pretty hard to get in china, PM me your address and I'll send you a few in the post, the you can see if you like them.

I have just sent a message and thank you very much:)

P.S. It is 4:00AM in China,I have to go to bed...

But...actually what do you call the tape?Dose the tape has a term in the US?

I think you mean Duct Tape, sometimes incorrectly called Duck Tape (though there is also a brand by that name). There's a dozen or more different kinds of tapes, fasteners, and mounts that can work, but not all of them work in all situations. I'm constantly confronted with situations where the actor has a very tight T-shirt or extremely thin blouse, and no way would a bulky adhesive triangle work in this situation. On a cloth coat or a thick opaque shirt, maybe. 

Another option, for possible ideas? - offsite : http://www.neckmics....kmics/Home.html

Brilliant idea. Been thinking about developing something similar for a while. Using fimo or sugru for the pendant and a thin rubber or leather tube for the lanyard. Has anyone else tried this something similar - perhaps with a metal looking necklace?

d

• 1 year later...

Zhu, I'm begging you, please don't put that tape on anyone's skin. Ouch!

In China.We don't stick talent's body too.Only sticking on the cloth. 

Hi there Zhu!

I would recommend checking out my iBook entitled Down to the Wire. It is available in the iBookstore for iPad. It will be available for more formats by NAB (Kindle, iOS iPhone and all Android Devices as standalone apps as well)!

Check out the link here:

~Thomas Popp
Video Mantis Inc.
thomas@videomantis.com

Thanks,Thomas,But it's difficult to buy your Ebook to me,cause I only have a China zone APPLE ID,cant buy your book  in Chinese itunes. And an new USA APPLE ID can't accept my Chinese VISA。。must be a local card....But I'll figure out 。