Big Sweat

I actually work on a travel show with a host that sweat a lot. When I mean a lot, it is A LOT.

In warm countries, five minutes after he gets changed, his shirt is all wet. Since we film in harsh conditions (jungles, remote villages, etc,) I can't rig him in his A/C room because we don't have A/C rooms or any places that could keep him dry for a couple of minutes. On the last shoot in West Africa, I gave up and stopped hiding the mic on him because if I rigged the mic on his chest or shirt, tape wouldn't hold or water would go inside the capsule and affect sound quality.

I'm curious if one of you guy have any advices/methods for this kind of situations.

Best regards.

Marc

Get a body warmer and make pockets inside and place some of those ice packs you put in chiller bags inside, Rubens Barrichello of Formula 1 does this to keep cool before a race. You can buy A/C jackets in Japan.

Only other thing I can suggest is to place the mic upside down so sweat does not run into the capsule.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

What is his wardrobe like? In a similar circumstances, I once secured a mic underneath a talent's collar. Not ideal placement, but better than the sweat-soaked center of the chest. Not an option, though, if your talent only wears t-shirts.

A Mic Bra (available from the usual suspects) would keep a mic secure, but may be visible once a t-shirt gets wet and clingy.

Sometimes don't you just wish you could boom everything? :s

Great technique. Sweat can travel down the wire and into the tx, causing pretty massive damage. Perhaps hanging the tx with the antenna pointing down will prevent sweat from getting to the internals.

Sandwich the lav mic in sports tape, then safety pin through the sports tape and onto his shirt.

It will not fall off.

Zip bag the tx also.

Good luck

Mega

Thanks guys for the insights, I'll definitely try the mic bra option / mic up side down and the safety pin/ sport tape thing.

The producer and director agreed to show the mic. I know it's a travel/doc style show but as much as I love a cos-11 with my ears, I hate it with my eyes.

And, of course, boom everything would be amazing...

Kinesio tape is pretty good at sticking, but you do need to successfully dry the skin prior to application.

Mic on the outside is surely the best solution here.  Good that you asked and that it was agreed to.  Reasonable producers.

But keeping the pack safe from sweat is important too.  Sweat can seep in anywhere and destroy your transmitters.  Maybe it won't happen while you're on the show, but one day it'll fail and it'll be opened up, and you'll discover the guts are all corroded.  Happened to me.  I make sure my transmitters are never exposed to bare skin.  And try to keep the sweat from getting into the connectors.

This job sure is an adventure.  We're all pretty lucky that these are our problems.