Emesser for FX recording.

Matt

Hello Everyone,

I have a shoot coming up where I'm thinking the Emesser would be a good choice.  I'd like to provide both mono and stereo files to post and the M/S configuration seems like the way to go.  Just wondering, has anyone used the Emesser with a shotgun microphone?  Or do you need to use it with a hyper-cardioid or cardioid microphone?  Or does it matter as far as the stereo image is concerned?  

Thoughts?  Opinions?

-Matt

You can definitely use an Emesser with a shotgun mic and get good results. I don't find it to sound odd but of course if accurate the stereo imaging is of high importance, then a discrete stereo setup (XY/ORTF/AB) will be more suitable. If stereo is more of a bonus, and you mainly need a portable setup that will fit into your blimp then MS will be fine. However, if you can get in close to the sound source then I don't think there is much need for a shotgun, so a hyper or even a cardioid might be a good alternative (and it will improve the stereo image).