No New Content

Phil D

For the past week or so, I am unable to obtain any listings under the View New Content tab. It always tells me "No New Content"

I have logged off and on again, and tried playing with the settings, but nothing changes.

Same happens on my tablet. It seems to be ok on Tapatalk for android, however I use my deskotp 99% of the time.

I really miss this feature. It is working ok on other Forums that I visit.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Phil

I've had this problem in the last week as well. My work around has been to reload the page on tapatalk on my phone. After that, if I reload the page in safari for the full web version, it's back to normal. It seems, to me, that somehow the fact that the tapatalk mobile app is open when I try to reload the New Content page affects the site...or it's a coincidence. 

Any of the individualized routines (like Content I have not read, etc.) rely on cookies, whatever browser on whatever platform you are using. If there are problems with cookies on your system this will cause these individualized routines to function badly or not at all. This is not a fault of the site and there is little I can do about it on my end. Sometimes it is as basic as having your browser's security options set in such a way that cookies are not written properly to allow the individualized routines on this site to function properly. Cookies for other sites you visit may work just fine but the cookies associated with this site may not.

Tapatalk is a whole different animal. With Tapatalk you are actually not accessing this site directly --- you are accessing the site via your browser's Tapatalk plug-in which is actually accessing Tapatalk's site. Cookies associated with this sort of access are written by Tapatalk and are subject to Tapatalk settings.

I know this does not solve your problem but I think it can be of value if we all understand what's happening when we access JWSOUND site.

Tapatalk is a whole different animal. With Tapatalk you are actually not accessing this site directly --- you are accessing the site via your browser's Tapatalk plug-in which is actually accessing Tapatalk's site. Cookies associated with this sort of access are written by Tapatalk and are subject to Tapatalk settings.

Accessing the site through the Tapatalk App on my phone is different than accessing it through Safari on my computer? Aren't they both applications accessing the site directly? I'm not using Tapatalk in conjunction with my phone's browser (doesn't this eliminate the plug-in?), but the mobile app has an extra step to the content? 

In my non-computer-programming mind, I thought the site might be confused by both the mobile app and the browser accessing it under the same account and both wanting un-read content. Reloading the Tapatalk App seemed to be a work around solution the few times I ran into the situation I thought Phil was describing.

I was using some of the terms incorrectly. The Tapatalk app I was calling a plug-in and it is not a plug-in to your mobile browser. It is its own browser app that accesses Tapatalk's site. It is Tapatalk that access the site/forum, manipulates and re-configures it and serves it to your mobile device with a skin/theme/template that is better suited to the small screen. The IPB app (for mobile devices) is an app that accesses the default mobile skin/theme built into the forum site (JWSOUND) so that things display in a more mobile - small screen friendly way.

Something strange going on! Each time I come back to the forum the option "Just items I follow has been ticked!

Each time, I untick it, but when I return it has re selected that option again!

I have just had a new hard drive installed, and suspect it may be something to do with my computer's settings.

I have looked at security settings to allow cookies, but can't find anything yet.

My cookies appear to be working properly on other forums though.

I'm sure I'll get there eventually!

Thanks for all suggestions.

Laurence has pointed out to me that it is more than browser cookies involved with the individual tracking routines we are talking about. There are database entries made that produce some of this tracking. These are database entries tied to your individual profile I believe and may be subject to individual profile settings for notifications, following topics and so forth. I will continue to look into this for you to try and solve the problems you are having.

yes, I keep unchecking " just items that I follow" but when I come back again it is re-checked!

I have other issues with my computer, so I suspect it is something going on from my end.

It is being looked at and cleaned out this coming Saturday, so will see how it behaves after that.

Thanks for your help.

I will report back aftrwards.

I have just had some malicious software and all cookies removed from my computer, and all cleaned up by a PC Doctor.

I thought it would solve my issue, but my "view new content" preferences still reset to only items I follow, whenever I re-boot my computer, and there is nothing to see!

Interestingly, this doesn't happen if I leave the site, and come back.. only if I shut down my PC, and re-boot.

I have though discovered that when I change my preferences, the site automaticall pulls up the posts under my new selection - (I didn't realise this previously) - so it's not the end of the world. Just a couple of clicks, and I'm back where I wanted to be.

If anyone has any suggestions, let me know, otherwise I can live with it .

Thanks, Phil

• 4 weeks later...

I have logged in 3 times this morning (just to check that I'm not imagining things) and the site is now remembering my preferences for unread topics.

Nothing changed on my computer..maybe something connected with the tapatalk update you just did?

Although this has been happening on my desktop as well.

Who knows?

But alls well that ends well, they say,