PWP's sound cart project

Phil Palmer

I've wanted to go to a rack based sound cart for years, and tried on several occasions, but the base structure and stability were always the problem.  Brett Grant-Grierson has built several carts for mixers in the LA area and I met up with him to start a new project.  The start to finish photos can be found here: 

http://web.mac.com/pwpmixer/iWeb/pwpmixer/sound%20cart.html

Here's a photo of the finished product, before the gear is mounted.

~pwp

post-23-130815076123_thumb.jpg

Were you able to locate gel-filled tires for this (the duals)? 

No I haven't sourced the gel filled tires, we'll see how this goes.  Thanks for the tip though.

What gear will you put in this (how big  mixer, computer, etc)?

The gear in the rack will be on the front: Cooper 208D, DEVA V, Sound Devices 702T w/DVD-RAM, Marshall dual monitor rack, shelf with 8 Lectro UCR 411a's stacked in pairs, Fostex RM2, Furman power/light module.  On the back:  Lectro UMC16B, shelf with Comtek 216 base station and Lectro T1, patch bay, Intellex Balun.

Inside will be some power distribution which will feed to the base platform.  In the base platform will be a Furman Power Conditioner and a PSC PowerMax.  And a 4 space drawer.

~pwp

Phillip - Is that a Halliburton Shock-Rack? 

If not, what brand is it?   How many rack spaces? 

No, it's the SKB 16 space shock rack.  It's Rotomolded, so much easier for them to spit them out.  They make 2 versions now, one is 24 inches rail to rail, and mine which is 20 inches.  The larger version has doors that are on hinges, and fold back.  It's a bit larger than the one seen on my cart.

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=sku_rack_space_units-16-80&id=131&o=&offset=1&c=80&s=80

Also, Wolf asked me about aluminum rack drawers.  Starcase is making them in 2/3/4 space versions, but they're not cheap.  If you want to save the weight, you gotta pay.

http://www.starcase.com/4RU_alum_rack_drawer_detail.htm

~pwp

No, it's the SKB 16 space shock rack.  It's Rotomolded, so much easier for them to spit them out.  They make 2 versions now, one is 24 inches rail to rail, and mine which is 20 inches.  The larger version has doors that are on hinges, and fold back.  It's a bit larger than the one seen on my cart.

~pwp

Wow - SKB!  I have been using a pair of what I guess are the "older version" of SKB ShockMount Racks, and yours definitely looks nicer, stronger, LIGHTER, etc.... 

Mine are 12 space, still HEAVY, and the front and rear Lids have potential for being injured and dented around the rim, making the fit less than perfect.... yours looks like the "fit" is somewhat molded and more impervious to damage ... 

Lookin' good....

Mike Filosa, CAS

Atlanta

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking good Phil! It's a lot of equipment onboard, well organized and hopefully easy to use. I noticed you're using a Firelite external drive, sitting next to the Deva, which I use as well when I want tracks to go off to an external hard drive via Firewire. I have a question on your patchbay which appears to use standard Hosa rack mount product --- it just isn't clear to be how you are using those two patchbays and what you are doing about getting from patchbays to equipment that moves on sliding shelf, like the Cooper. I use 8 pair cable that is all encased in a single jacket. For the first time on the last movie I had a "patchbay failure" which took a long time to diagnose. Finally, I discovered that the lead which brought out my Mic 2 (2nd boom) input from the Cooper up to the patchbay in back (custom panel with connectors for Mic 1, Mic 2, AUX, etc.) had gpone bad! I guess repeted flexing of the whole 8 pair snake eventually damaged just that one lead. So I have re-done the whole affair, used 3 4 pair cables (higher quality also) and I'm going to hope for the best.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Phil,

Congratulations and nicely setup. It's amazing how much stuff you can cram into those SKB's and since yours is 24" deep you have lots of room on the rear side too.

Jeff, do you build your own cables? I got my cables from Zaolla, ( http://www.zaolla.com ) which is an 'upscale' division of Hosa. I'm using a three foot length similar to what's in picture 1. 

I bought the Aviom patchbays ( http://www.aviom.com/Product-Categories-6/Accessories-32/PB28-Modular-Patch-Bay ) which you can mix with all their variations of connector types. Picture 2.

Phil, just for comparison here's my SKB loaded to the gills.

Happy voyages with your rig!

RL

post-284-130815076669_thumb.gif

post-284-130815076675_thumb.jpg

post-284-130815076681_thumb.jpg

post-284-130815076688_thumb.jpg

Thank you to both Phil and Richard --- how nice it is that you both post just good images (and I am so pleased that my Discussion Group configuration allows this and people know how to use it). I just looked at the Zaolla website --- it looks like a really good company making really well made cables and snakes. Next time I will look into getting one of their D-sub snakes.

There seems to be quite a similarity between Phil's cart and Richard's; I guess it is in part due to the use of SKB case, but having seen Richard's cart I think it is considerably larger than Phil's.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Thanks for the cudos guys.  I'm pretty excited to finally get my gear into a case rather than have it on an open cart, as I've had it for the last 9 years or more.  The PSC cart has served me well, but it was never designed to carry so much weight.  Even with a reinforced axle, it was might wobbly and unstable.  I will always keep that cart around for playback and the mini-splinter unit type things that come up, but as a main cart...I had to go bigger.

The patch bays in are by HOSA and can be easily reversed, which is the design.  The top row is the output of all 8 wireless, and the main outs of Cooper.  The bottom row all 8 inputs of the Cooper, then a computer output, Time Code out, and Aux 1 and 2 output of the Cooper.  I had three 8 channel 4 foot snakes made up by Pacific Radio.  They do really great work, much better than I can do...and really fast.  One snake goes from the Lectros to the patch, then one is from the patch to the inputs of the Cooper, then the last is all outputs.

This SKB case is one size smaller than Richard Lightstone's version.  I believe Richard's case is 24" deep, and mine is 20".  Each has it's own advantages, I just went for the smaller version.  Here is a link to the SKB page with the cases:

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/prodlist.php?s=80&c=80&o=&f=sku_rack_space_units-16-80

My gear gets picked up Monday for work, so I get to jump right in with it next week.

~pwp