Antenna Distros in the bag

Tim Hays

I'm getting ready to add an antenna distro system to my bag and I'm wondering what you guys are using in/with your bags for antennas with your distro set up. I saw some Shure omnidirectional antennas at Location Sound Co. and thought those might be a good idea, but it seems like they's need to be up in the air, or if they were mounted on the bag I would have to make sure I was facing the talent. Maybe not. They also cover just about all the frequencies, so I could use them across all my blocks. Anyway, what's working for you guys & girls? Pictures would be much appreciated! 

Cheers, Tim Hays

A lot of people use Mini Circuits splitters with Lectro ufm 230 amps. The alternative would be the PSC Rf Multi SMA. I have both, but mainly use the PSC box simply because of ease of use. It has the same circuitry (so says Ron at PSC) but its all put into one system instead of having to get all the parts and all the cables made. Or you could go the Lectro Field Venue route.

I still havnt figured out a good way of mounting antennas on the bag though. For all you DIYers out there, this is your golden moment!

A lot of people use Mini Circuits splitters with Lectro ufm 230 amps. The alternative would be the PSC Rf Multi SMA. I have both, but mainly use the PSC box simply because of ease of use. It has the same circuitry (so says Ron at PSC) but its all put into one system instead of having to get all the parts and all the cables made. Or you could go the Lectro Field Venue route.

I still havnt figured out a good way of mounting antennas on the bag though. For all you DIYers out there, this is your golden moment!

Thanks Jon. I'm really interested in the antenna side of this. I'm probably going to go with the PSC distro box. But if you guys could tell/show me the antennas that you are using that would be great.

I just use the passive PSC shark fin and the Lectro dipole (because on the show Ive been working on, the cast tends to wander around, so just using shark fins isnt ideal in THAT situation). The PSC box can power active antennas, but it seems that (in the past) flipping on the antenna power switch can cause issues with the box. Im not sure if that is 100% fixed as of yet, so I highly recommend using passive antennas and taping down the antenna power switch so that it doesnt turn on. There are lots of threads on the specifics on that (With Ron from PSC chiming in as well) that you can look up.

Again, if anyone has a good way of mounting antennas to a bag please let us know! lol

Yep. Any PSC splitter sold this year has the "issue" solved. Units made earlier need to be sent back to be updated. No more taping the antenna power required, and was not the cause of the problem; was related to over driving the input of the RF amplifier.

+1 Anyone who wants more info just contact Ron at PSC 

Very curious about the Shure antenna.  It says it's a wide band dipole but dipoles work best at their resonant frequency which is the length they're cut for.  The overall length of the Shure is 11", so each element is approx 5", so it probably resonates around 500 mHz. DOn't know what makes it wide band unless they pack in a series of different lengths like a squished log periodic.  Would also like to see how people use them in bag mode.  Perhaps stuff one up each sleeve? 

Etiquette alert! Tim SAW the Shure antenna at Location Sound. And then posted a product link to it from Markertek. Tim, your killing me!

http://www.locationsound.com/ua860swb-passive-omnidirectional-antenna-p-2090.html

There. I feel better now.

Sorry Steve! Of course we will all purchase ours from Location Sound Corp! Best service, best price, best pancakes in town!

Very curious about the Shure antenna. It says it's a wide band dipole but dipoles work best at their resonant frequency which is the length they're cut for. The overall length of the Shure is 11", so each element is approx 5", so it probably resonates around 500 mHz. DOn't know what makes it wide band unless they pack in a series of different lengths like a squished log periodic. Would also like to see how people use them in bag mode. Perhaps stuff one up each sleeve?

I'll try to find the tuned version of this.

FB lousy on iPhone.

I think someone posted it on Simon's group.

DOn't know what makes it wide band unless they pack in a series of different lengths like a squished log periodic.

The usual scheme is to use LC (inductive/capacitive) loading. You can use multiple LC networks on any given antenna.

dipcar.jpg

loferan4.gif for multi frequency use.

This is the post from FB user - appears smaller (thinner at least) and has integrated cable.

"If anyone is interested in alternative dipoles this is a dipole from Lintec in uk but not on their website you need to ask them to make it up its called a "stubby dipole" and 620mhz covers all 38,39,40,41 but they can make your own spec a bit expensive but solidly made, have used for last 6 months in 788 bag and prefer it to the sna 600's I had been using , good on a mixer strap as well and doesn't poke your eye out.."

https://m.facebook.com/groups/464988533546827#!/photo.php?fbid=10151450038704184&id=581259183&set=o.464988533546827&relevant_count=1&refid=18

• 2 weeks later...

post-2650-0-06084800-1365294327_thumb.jp

This is my current yet odd configuration using the psc rf multi sma and the shure dipole antennas. I don't recommend this setup for any usual kind of scenario, but if you can get those dipoles up in the air you would get better reception.

I tried this out on a shoot and its about as useful as your regular whip antennas. I'm just too lazy to do anything about it right now, since all my job have been talkin heads and such!

Philip, that was my hope, but it makes perfect sense. I dont see any antenna system mounted down at the bag being THAT effective, when the whole principal is to get them up in the air. Im sure they would perform better if mounted on the shoulder straps of a harness.

I really believe that this is an area that deserves exploring by some of the more inventive users here: a good way to mount antennas for bag use so as to increase reception/range. And... go!

May I ask what the purpose of going through a mini circuits splitter/amp as well as a vr field? It was my understanding that the technology is already in the vr field, so a second splitter/amp system seems redundant. Forgive me if I'm missing something.