Shure Omni Antennas

JonG

This was brought up in another thread, but I thought Id make a new one to talk specifically about these. 

Has anyone used the Shure Omni Antennas?

These look like they might mount better in a bag situation than the Lectro Dipoles, and they also look like they are less susceptible to breakage or damage from the weather or environment. Im about to head back on the road to the swamps of Louisiana and I wont have the option of mounting my antennas to my boom pole as I did on the last show I worked on, so these would be perfect if they work with Lectros, which I assume they do.

Any thoughts?

I put those on my cart after I purchased a second venue just before starting this past season of smash. I was replacing my 2 dipole antennas. The second venue was in two different blocks than my first venue, so I switched to these as they are wide band as opposed to the dipoles which are narrow band. 

I also have to shark fins on my cart for the venues as well and have a habit of switching around between different combinations of the 4 antennas. But I ended up doing the majority of this season with the 2 shark fins. Maybe things got a little RF-heavier this year in New York or maybe I changed my superstitions. I like the idea of this Shure ones since I like having an omni option and being wide band fits what I need. 

They're not quite as big as they seem to look in the photo (which doesn't have another object to compare size). They have a a mic clip, which I attached to a gooseneck, that can sometimes lose it's grip on the antenna. But mine sat on top of a cart that moved around New York City (I try to run people over in Times Square and hop on and off curbs) for the past 8 months. 

They do look like pipe bombs. I imagine that might be a problem at the airport.

Well thanks to this forum Location Sound sold out of these guys, the Shure rep was in Coffey Sound today and didnt mention them, and Ametron had two, but I got them, haha!

If you are looking for them call in ahead of time to see if your dealer has them, or just order them online if you arent in any hurry. I'll be bringing mine with me on a shoot this weekend and will report back with my findings!

They are about 11" and look kind of like the Rode Mic Tube. The bottom is the BNC connecter. It comes with a mic clip that is larger than your typical clip that comes with an SM57 or 58, along with a little thread adapter. It also comes with two BNC cables, one about a foot long, the other about 10 feet I believe. You can tell they figured we'd be hooking it up to a splitter! I think its pretty cool that they come with all the accessories, but at the price they go for, I would hope so!

Well thanks to this forum Location Sound sold out of these guys, the Shure rep was in Coffey Sound today and didnt mention them, and Ametron had two, but I got them, haha!

If you are looking for them call in ahead of time to see if your dealer has them, or just order them online if you arent in any hurry. I'll be bringing mine with me on a shoot this weekend and will report back with my findings!

Jon,

I would love to see pics of your bag set up with these antennas. Thanks in advance.

This is the nasty beast that is going to break my back this weekend. Everything is stuffed into a Petrol 614 bag. I have the two Shure omni dipole antennas mounted on either side. I use an Oktava Stereo Mic Bar that lives underneath the Rx and BDS to mount the mic clips that the antennas come with. It is the same thing I use to mount my shark fin and Lectro dipole on other shows that don't involve booming scenes, but do require me to be mobile.

Everything is hooked up to a PSC RF Multi SMA, which has performed flawlessly for the whole season of the show I just wrapped, which went for nearly three months on the road in every kind of condition imaginable, including hot dusty deserts and heavy snowfall below 0!

This weekend will be the big test to see how well these antennas work. If I have to rewire this bag in the field and bust out the old shark fin and dipole, or resort to whips, things might get ugly. I will however report back with my findings!

My biggest hope is that these things perform flawlessly and become something that guys that do bag work can use. Mounting antennas is a huge problem when working out of a bag and staying mobile as we all know. In this case, I know that they are positioned low, but until I know how this show is going to play out, I will make decisions accordingly. From what I understand, range isn't the biggest issue here, as others have simply used their whip antennas. However, knowing the production company, they will probably try to push the limits, and if I can out perform the other guys, I can hold my place as king in that company! lol

post-2650-0-51292700-1363943553_thumb.jp

This is the nasty beast that is going to break my back this weekend. Everything is stuffed into a Petrol 614 bag. I have the two Shure omni dipole antennas mounted on either side. I use an Oktava Stereo Mic Bar that lives underneath the Rx and BDS to mount the mic clips that the antennas come with. It is the same thing I use to mount my shark fin and Lectro dipole on other shows that don't involve booming scenes, but do require me to be mobile.

Everything is hooked up to a PSC RF Multi SMA, which has performed flawlessly for the whole season of the show I just wrapped, which went for nearly three months on the road in every kind of condition imaginable, including hot dusty deserts and heavy snowfall below 0!

This weekend will be the big test to see how well these antennas work. If I have to rewire this bag in the field and bust out the old shark fin and dipole, or resort to whips, things might get ugly. I will however report back with my findings!

My biggest hope is that these things perform flawlessly and become something that guys that do bag work can use. Mounting antennas is a huge problem when working out of a bag and staying mobile as we all know. In this case, I know that they are positioned low, but until I know how this show is going to play out, I will make decisions accordingly. From what I understand, range isn't the biggest issue here, as others have simply used their whip antennas. However, knowing the production company, they will probably try to push the limits, and if I can out perform the other guys, I can hold my place as king in that company! lol

I dig the setup but am curious what you gain over the factory whips? I kinda get using an antenna distro in a bag with sharkfins because you gain the directional advantage of the fins. Isn't this two steps forward and one step back?

I anticipate that the cast will go from some nice indoor location to needing to be super far away from ME and no setup/takedown time being alotted for the transition, which is quite usual in reality tv. I was recently asked why there were drop outs when a caste member entered a mine shaft that was carved out of the side of a stone mountain. I'm no physics professor but I was shocked at how little thought that person had given the scenario!

I'm no physics professor but I was shocked at how little thought that person had given the scenario!

HA Recently I had some actors jump into a golf cart unexpectedly and drive off. When they were about 100 yards from me the producer wanted to know why he could no longer hear them lol 

This is the post from FB user - appears smaller (thinner at least) and has integrated cable.

"If anyone is interested in alternative dipoles this is a dipole from Lintec in uk but not on their website you need to ask them to make it up its called a "stubby dipole" and 620mhz covers all 38,39,40,41 but they can make your own spec a bit expensive but solidly made, have used for last 6 months in 788 bag and prefer it to the sna 600's I had been using , good on a mixer strap as well and doesn't poke your eye out.."

Hello it was me how posted on fb the lintec dipoles, they are called "stub dipoles" and can be made for any centre freq, any cable length and any terminating connector, not on the Lintec website but they will make them up on request they were 75GBP each..here are some pics..richard

post-50-0-72994900-1363997783_thumb.jpg

post-50-0-27259300-1363997809_thumb.jpg

post-50-0-03468900-1363997946_thumb.jpg

So they are cut to a specific freq?  I'd rather have something more broadband.  I wonder if they could make these sorts of tube antennas telescoping or something so they could be adjusted for freqs the way the SNA600 can?

philp

Some aluminum tubing, hose clamps and a balun. Could probably DIY for under $10.

So they are cut to a specific freq?  I'd rather have something more broadband.  I wonder if they could make these sorts of tube antennas telescoping or something so they could be adjusted for freqs the way the SNA600 can?

philp

Which brings us back to where we started -

The Shure UA860SWB is a passive wide band UHF omnidirectional antenna (470-1100Mhz).

Connector
Female, BNC-type
Dimensions
284 mm H X 39 mm Dia. (11-3/16 X 1-9/16 in.)
Net Weight (without cable)
275 g (9.72 oz.)

" So they are cut to a specific freq?  I'd rather have something more broadband. "

a compromise you get to make...

" they could be adjusted for freqs the way the SNA600 can? "

or just use the SNA...

another choice we get to make...

Antenna design is part physics, part voodoo...

" Any ideas of range limitations with these? "

well, line of sight,  and, especially: it depends

Thanks Mike.

JonG, that question was more for your analysis as you asses these antenna.  I am aware that you just now got these, and very few people here have ever tried them. I can't seem to find any documentation on that aspect. For what I need, long range is not a concern, but broadband is. Happy teching!

" So they are cut to a specific freq?  I'd rather have something more broadband. "

a compromise you get to make...

" they could be adjusted for freqs the way the SNA600 can? "

or just use the SNA...

another choice we get to make...

Antenna design is part physics, part voodoo...

I don't know about voodoo but multiband antennas are much more complicated to model.

Also, no antenna design software I have seen has algorithms for proximity effects of human bodies and bags full of other RF gear :)

After day one of using these antennas, I can tell you that they are very useful, however if you don't mount them high, they produce roughly the same results as your whip antennas. I think that they wouldn't be very good to use in an rf heavy zone like Los Angeles, but for out of town location jobs they would be better suited.

I think that if it is range you want, using a shark fin raised high will probably give you the best results.

But all that depends...