Shure Omni Antennas

JonG

Hello it was me how posted on fb the lintec dipoles, they are called "stub dipoles" and can be made for any centre freq, any cable length and any terminating connector, not on the Lintec website but they will make them up on request they were 75GBP each..here are some pics..richard

Hi Richard,

Can you tell us a bit more about your experience with the Lintec stubbies? What kind of receivers, distro, etc have you been using then with and what sort of results you've been getting?

Cheers

Paul

All in all, the antennas worked pretty well in the swamps of Louisiana, but like I mentioned before, I dont think that they did anything the regular whip antennas of your Rx already do as far as reception or range in concerned, when mounted low on your bag like mine were.

I did use them today in a facility that was right up against the Burbank Airport and did not have any reception issues whatsoever. In fact one of the talent walked off with my Tx at the end of the night and took it off and left it in an office on the opposite side of the building, and I was still getting full reception, which enabled me to locate it from listening to the ambient noise in the room! lol

Although they are a little big, I think that there are lots of inventive ways one could come up with to mount to their bag or harness, which is useful if only for the sake of wiring up your Rx in a nice and neat package and run them through something like the PSC RF Multi SMA.

I think I will leave them on my bag for now and try them out in other types of locations. I dont regret buying them, as they will undoubtably be a useful tool to have in the kit, and they will integrate well with my cart setup as well.

They are well made and pretty robust, so if you are worried about damaging your Lectro Dipole, this might be a good solution for those rough conditions!

Hi Richard,

Can you tell us a bit more about your experience with the Lintec stubbies? What kind of receivers, distro, etc have you been using then with and what sort of results you've been getting?

Cheers

Paul

hello paul, i got the Lintec stubbies to replace my lectro sna dipoles in a bag because the sna 600 were a nightmare to fit in a bag, the Subbies perform the same as the sna 600 and better than the whips, testing with whips on the receivers with a walk test then mounting the stubbies and same test the stubbies worked much better, i am using using lectrosonics SRB Receivers via a Micron RF distribution TUNED 600- 639MHZ, I Had used a 'Stubby' before on my ch69 kit and again was pleased with the results, when i have a zaxcom hop in the bag i move a 'Stubby' up onto one of the harness strapps, i had tried the micron dipole and the Badlands cheap dipole and both worked well but when especially on the strap i didnt think i was going to loose an eye putting the haness on and off using the stubbies,and the stubbies are also fully waterproof and almost unbreakable... thanks..richard

hello paul, i got the Lintec stubbies to replace my lectro sna dipoles in a bag because the sna 600 were a nightmare to fit in a bag, the Subbies perform the same as the sna 600 and better than the whips, testing with whips on the receivers with a walk test then mounting the stubbies and same test the stubbies worked much better, i am using using lectrosonics SRB Receivers via a Micron RF distribution TUNED 600- 639MHZ, I Had used a 'Stubby' before on my ch69 kit and again was pleased with the results, when i have a zaxcom hop in the bag i move a 'Stubby' up onto one of the harness strapps, i had tried the micron dipole and the Badlands cheap dipole and both worked well but when especially on the strap i didnt think i was going to loose an eye putting the haness on and off using the stubbies,and the stubbies are also fully waterproof and almost unbreakable... thanks..richard

Great, thanks Richard. I think I might just get a pair.

So they are cut to a specific freq?  I'd rather have something more broadband.  I wonder if they could make these sorts of tube antennas telescoping or something so they could be adjusted for freqs the way the SNA600 can?

I believe the antennas pictured above are the Lintec Dipoles, which look very slick:

http://www.lintec-antennas.co.uk/pages/catalogue/cat_dip.html

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

''like I mentioned before, I dont think that they did anything the regular whip antennas of your Rx already do as far as reception or range in concerned''

Might be because they're tuned from 450 to 1100 MHz ? Too much of a compromise for that type of antenna maybe ?

• 2 years later...

All in all, the antennas worked pretty well in the swamps of Louisiana, but like I mentioned before, I dont think that they did anything the regular whip antennas of your Rx already do as far as reception or range in concerned, when mounted low on your bag like mine were.

I did use them today in a facility that was right up against the Burbank Airport and did not have any reception issues whatsoever. In fact one of the talent walked off with my Tx at the end of the night and took it off and left it in an office on the opposite side of the building, and I was still getting full reception, which enabled me to locate it from listening to the ambient noise in the room! lol

Although they are a little big, I think that there are lots of inventive ways one could come up with to mount to their bag or harness, which is useful if only for the sake of wiring up your Rx in a nice and neat package and run them through something like the PSC RF Multi SMA.

I think I will leave them on my bag for now and try them out in other types of locations. I dont regret buying them, as they will undoubtably be a useful tool to have in the kit, and they will integrate well with my cart setup as well.

They are well made and pretty robust, so if you are worried about damaging your Lectro Dipole, this might be a good solution for those rough conditions!

Jon -

I am curious if you are still using these and what your thoughts are after all this time. 

Thanks!

Cheers,

Evan

I still have them, but I have since moved away from any sort of bag work that requires extensive range beyond regular whip antennas. On my cart I use PSC shark fins, and they work great. But I have not used the Shure antennas probably since not long after this last post, and I think the same can be said for my Lectro SNA600 dipoles as well. But I would be willing to hoist them up again and give them another whirl. I have seen others use them, and undoubtably they work well in many situations, but I also think that one of the best things you can do to increase range would be to reject unwanted signal, so instead of using wideband antennas, try limiting them to the blocks you do use, possibly via filters. Omni antennas such as these will increase your range if hoisted in the air and amplified, like most antennas will, but the omni pattern means that it will be receiving signal from all sides, so I would venture to guess that they might be slightly less effective than directional antennae. At least on paper it looks that way.

I still have them, but I have since moved away from any sort of bag work that requires extensive range beyond regular whip antennas. On my cart I use PSC shark fins, and they work great. But I have not used the Shure antennas probably since not long after this last post, and I think the same can be said for my Lectro SNA600 dipoles as well. But I would be willing to hoist them up again and give them another whirl. I have seen others use them, and undoubtably they work well in many situations, but I also think that one of the best things you can do to increase range would be to reject unwanted signal, so instead of using wideband antennas, try limiting them to the blocks you do use, possibly via filters. Omni antennas such as these will increase your range if hoisted in the air and amplified, like most antennas will, but the omni pattern means that it will be receiving signal from all sides, so I would venture to guess that they might be slightly less effective than directional antennae. At least on paper it looks that way.

thanks for the prompt reply, Jon!

Cheers,

Evan