Cinela Leo vs. Rycote Ball Gag

sepulchra

Hey Folks,

I know there have been other posts addressing this issue, but I think I have a slightly different use case. I've been doing a series of double ORTF recordings out in the woods with Schoeps CMC5/MK4 caps. With that setup, in an ORTF configuration, I cannot use full-size zeppelins. My setup for wind protection consists 4 rycote ballgags with the windjammer and they work "okay" but I'm still getting some buffeting on heavier gusts. I know they are never going to perform like a full zep, but I'm wondering if anyone has heard any of the cinela leo balls in heavy-ish winds. I'd love to hear some real world reports before I drop the cash on 4 of them.

If you curious to hear some of my results:

http://sepulchra.com/blog/?p=1994

http://sepulchra.com/blog/?p=2004

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Rabbit Ears Audio

In Schoeps web there are some info about this...

http://www.schoeps.de/en/products/categories/ORTF-Surround

I am not using CCM's but the full size CMC5 bodies, so I cannot use a full size zeppelin. Any thoughts on the LEO vs the BBG would be helpful:

This is the product.

http://www.cinela.fr/catalog.php?pid=74

I use both rigs but for a different purpose, dialog recording on set only.  I have both and use each very frequently, but primarily indoors. The microphone of choice for me has been the MKH50.  I have attached a photo for size comparison.  I believe each does a very nice job of wind protection, and find that the LEO is wighted better for the Cinela mounts (not surprising).

I feel, mainly from listening over the last month with each, that the LEO has a more natural sound and matches the microphone with only a foam screen.  My 2 cents only.

PWP

post-24-0-14646600-1363896206_thumb.jpg

"I feel, mainly from listening over the last month with each, that the LEO has a more natural sound and matches the microphone with only a foam screen."

I'm glad you finally said that --- I would have been very surprised if you felt that the Rycote Ball Gag sounded the same as the Cinela. The beauty of the Cinela windscreens, for me, has been the minimal affect on how the microphone sounds in the windscreens. I have not found any other windscreen (other than the ones that Don Coufal has built over the years) where the microphone sounds the same in and out of the windscreen.

I use both rigs but for a different purpose, dialog recording on set only.  I have both and use each very frequently, but primarily indoors. The microphone of choice for me has been the MKH50.  I have attached a photo for size comparison.  I believe each does a very nice job of wind protection, and find that the LEO is wighted better for the Cinela mounts (not surprising).

I feel, mainly from listening over the last month with each, that the LEO has a more natural sound and matches the microphone with only a foam screen.  My 2 cents only.

PWP

Thanks for that great photo, Phil. I'm curious have you used the cinela out in the wind with the fur outside? Does it hold up in the wind?

Thanks!

Michael

I haven't used it in wind, no.  I have used it outside with little wind, but it's not my go to mic for exterior dialog.  I use a Sanken CS3e in a Cinela Piano rig for exterior work.  If I can't pick it off with that, I'm into wires...

Again, I'm recording dialog 99.9% of the time both interior and exterior, so we're going for different results.

PWP