NPR is going digital. Huge auction of analog gear.

Eric Toline

Current bids are incredible... $650 for a full control room with console and outboard?? Somebody's going to start a new career or two with this gear.

(When I think of all those times I've fed those rooms. With a Zephyr Xtreme I sold a few years ago as being obsolete... _

Wow, that's an incredible amount of gear. I think I've used at least 1/3 of stuff exactly like this in the last 30 years -- sad to see it go for pennies on the dollar. Time marches on.

My joke for a long time has been, "no matter how much that thing you're about to buy costs, eventually, it's going to sell for $35 on eBay." 

My joke for a long time has been, "no matter how much that thing you're about to buy costs, eventually, it's going to sell for $35 on eBay."

Truth. I made myself very depressed yesterday by looking on eBay for the body of a Nikon DSLR I bought a few years ago for $650 with 2 great lenses.

$25 not working (ok, I'm alright with that)... $45 in perfect working order.

Such is the way of technology.

A lot of what NPR is selling is really useless junk now--all those DATs (prob w/ high head hours), DTRS decks (ditto) and pages of analog telco/audio/switching etc gear that no one but radio stations uses, or used to use.  I'm glad to see that, unlike the BBC World Service auctions, they are not selling a lot of stuff that they could still use in their new studios (mics, furniture etc).  

philp

" A lot of what NPR is selling is really useless junk now-...gear that no one but radio stations uses, "

NPR is a nerwork for radio stations, and many of their stations could get some tears more out of a lot of that gear...

as could college stations...

hope it goes that way.  win-win.