eliminating zaxnet whine

rich

whilst prepping for my next job, i stumbled on a way to remove the whine i was getting on the feed i was sending to my boom op on the 942 via zaxnet.

i was feeding a qrx100 with ifb board a balanced feed from the TA3 output of my 788. (wired TA3 pin 1 - minijack shield, TA3 2 - minjack tip, TA3 3 - minijack ring) and selected L-R in the ifb option menu of the QRX, and the whine disappeared, and the signal got louder. and i thought of course - it effectively makes the QRX input a balanced input, which eliminated the zaxnet whine that the jumper cable between the 788 and the qrx was picking up.

joy.

in theory, the ifb100 has a balanced input as it has an sta100 for its inputs. but then i guess if depends if the cold pins of the TA5 go anywhere on the ifb100.

but then, if you have a few minutes spare and a handy soldering iron, it wouldnt be too hard to find out. i would check it out, but ive powered my soldering iron down for the day.

whilst prepping for my next job, i stumbled on a way to remove the whine i was getting on the feed i was sending to my boom op on the 942 via zaxnet.

i was feeding a qrx100 with ifb board a balanced feed from the TA3 output of my 788. (wired TA3 pin 1 - minijack shield, TA3 2 - minjack tip, TA3 3 - minijack ring) and selected L-R in the ifb option menu of the QRX, and the whine disappeared, and the signal got louder. and i thought of course - it effectively makes the QRX input a balanced input, which eliminated the zaxnet whine that the jumper cable between the 788 and the qrx was picking up.

joy.

That is the best way to use the analog input as it eliminates any ground loop artifacts. This is why we like AES over analog interconnects in the sound bag. No loops to deal with.

Glenn

Senator. maybe i should have been more precise.

selecting L-R on the QRX ifb option input select and feeding the QRX a balanced signal makes the QRX input balanced, thus eliminating any noise picked up on the ifb input cabling.

Glenn. unless i am missing something, there is no way to use AES to feed the ifb input of the QRX, or the ifb100.

and i wasnt intending to use my nomad on this upcoming job.