Taking the plunge (financial and otherwise)

Nick Campbell

So....how bad do you really want to do this?  Please ask yourself this question honestly and often because your resolve will be tested at every turn.  Are a lucky person?  Do you have any savings, or a spouse/other you can live with (sponge off) while you get estab-ed?  If you feel like you kind of just have to give this all a go, AND you feel like the wind is at your back, somehow, then start looking for sound work wherever you are NOW, while casting about for where you might want to establish yourself next.  No reason to wait.  Re: gear--the truth it that you WILL end up buying some stuff you might not have an immediate need for, and the knowledge to understand the balance between what you have and what you rent will only come with experience.  Which you need to start getting right away, if you are serious about this.  In addition--network network network.

philp

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I moved from Holland to San Francisco when I was 23, and didn't have a wife with a good job to sponge off of. That's when I was going into music production. I ended up working at The Plant in Sausalito, because that was my goal.

Then I moved to Vancouver when I was 28.and started at the bottom again. Ended up working for one of the largest post facilities there.

Moved to LA 5 years ago, as sole income earner, as my wife couldn't work here.

Luck has had nothing to do with my career goals.

I would say in fact the opposite. I've succeeded in site of bad luck. First, when Iw as working at The Plant 25 years ago, and was recommended as a new trainee at Skywalker. And just before I was going to start, they shut the whole sprockets division down.

Then, about 3 months after moving to LA the writers strike hit. But I still found myself working pretty much full time during the strike.

Now is his time to try and make it in LA, as he doesn't have a family to support, or from what it seems any major obligations.

I moved from Holland to San Francisco when I was 23, and didn't have a wife with a good job to sponge off of. That's when I was going into music production. I ended up working at The Plant in Sausalito, because that was my goal.

Then I moved to Vancouver when I was 28.and started at the bottom again. Ended up working for one of the largest post facilities there.

Moved to LA 5 years ago, as sole income earner, as my wife couldn't work here.

Luck has had nothing to do with my career goals.

I would say in fact the opposite. I've succeeded in site of bad luck. First, when Iw as working at The Plant 25 years ago, and was recommended as a new trainee at Skywalker. And just before I was going to start, they shut the whole sprockets division down.

Then, about 3 months after moving to LA the writers strike hit. But I still found myself working pretty much full time during the strike.

Now is his time to try and make it in LA, as he doesn't have a family to support, or from what it seems any major obligations.

We've had this discussion before, Hench.  You worked very hard and made hard choices.  You also had some luck.  No one succeeds without it, even you.  Be grateful for the opportunities that have come your way.  

Re: finances, having some kind of cushion to move with or even start work with seems like a good idea when moving to a new city or a new career, I'd say.

philp

I really hate to keep flogging this, but luck has had zero to do with it. Persistence, hard work, constant calling and emailing people. That's what leads to succeeding. Not letting yourself get distracts by other nonsense. Like going out to bars until 4am, and then showing up hungover, and making mistakes. Not getting baked every night you go home.

And don't get your girlfriend or wife pregnant until you have a well established reputation and steady career.

The opportunities did not come my way by luck or by chance. I sought them out.

So, now back to Nickp.

Save some money. Start making contacts. And move to LA.

You can always leave if you don't like it here.

But why move to LA?  There are plenty of other places where he can pursue his goal, and have a much easier time achieving it.

That's where the big show is, just like NYC, but more importantly that is where he wants to go. You are right when you say he can get going in any market but he wants LA. Not everyone hates this place. Personally I love LA.

CrewC

If you are good at your work and people like working with you then you can succeed anywhere. Five years ago I moved out to LA from the UK and bought a Sound Devices 442, a Sennheiser 416 and a couple of G2 wireless mic kits. I started doing small corporate and Subway Tuna Craig's List gigs. Made some money, built on my equipment package  and slowly raised my day rate. At long last I have all the documentation needed to begin the whole process to get in IATSE 695. I just went to Contract Services last week to drop off all my pay stubs and completed the first of the safety tests. 

The point is that  with a good working attitude and  a plan to grow, then there is no reason why you can't make it in this business here in LA or anywhere else for that matter. A little luck does help out now and then of course. Just don't expect it all to happen overnight. 

But why move to LA?  .

Because this is where movies a made.

If you just want to earn a living, by all means, go wherever.

If you want to get a chance to work on big projects, or something more than a reality TV show or documentary, LA is the place to be.

Why work your ass off building a network of connections in a place where all you'll ever really get is low budget TV and the occasional documentary or commercial, when you can do it here in LA and end up working on really cool stuff.

Makes absolutely no sense to me.

Do it! Positive affirmations work all the time(at least for me).

+1 on what Martin said in his opening statement. I moved to the states in 2009 from Chile,with a film degree specializing in production sound.

I PA'd for about a year and a half when I got here not really knowing anyone and always harassed sound mixers about gear and setups etc...I saved up and bought a 442(my first piece of gear)... made a few connections here and there a long the way. Let me tell you it hasn't been a long ride but every year is looking better and better.

Definitely follow your heart on this but also have a plan,it sounds like you do. Be patient, it won't happen over night as someone said in a previous post. Always be willing to learn new things. This place is great for that and you have the best of the best to help you here if you ask nicely. It all works out in the end,if it doesn't then its not the end. Heck I'm moving to Asheville,NC in a few months...wish me luck!

Good luck and have fun!  Sounds like your head's in the right place.  I'm not big time or anything, but I haven't had to work any other job in 6 years since moving to NYC and have never, ever regretted it.  And my kit was worse than the one you're talking about!

One advantage of moving to a smaller market: you might be able to survive on cheaper wireless . . :ph34r:

I'm kidding though.  If you're serious, go where the work is.

I really hate to keep flogging this, but luck has had zero to do with it. Persistence, hard work, constant calling and emailing people. That's what leads to succeeding. Not letting yourself get distracts by other nonsense. Like going out to bars until 4am, and then showing up hungover, and making mistakes. Not getting baked every night you go home.

And don't get your girlfriend or wife pregnant until you have a well established reputation and steady career.

So, now back to Nickp.

Very wise words. I will follow them as well. (not in LA...yet)

Sawrab

" Luckily I'll have a BA backing me "

it isn't backing you in this biz...

and if you vgo to work in that biz, it will probably interfere with your potential in our industry.

I also consider luck a factor, improved by things like hard work knowledge, and experience.

I'm surprised that you haven't be warned to be sure to charge enough,  something you will be sorely tempted to ignore.

" We actually have more than enough crew already in Atlanta. "

experienced crew...

thus you will be working the lower tier, and thus, lower paying gigs.for a while.

So, now back to Nickp.

I hate flogging it too, but saying that luck had no part in your success is arrogant and untruthful.  You were READY when your luck turned, and good for you.  Be grateful for what you've been able to accomplish.  Attributing all of one's success to one's own effort often precedes a big fall, esp. in the movies.  Being humble about what you've been able to do does not diminish your achievements.

philp

I hate flogging it too, but saying that luck had no part in your success is arrogant and untruthful.  You were READY when your luck turned, and good for you.  Be grateful for what you've been able to accomplish.  Attributing all of one's success to one's own effort often precedes a big fall, esp. in the movies.  Being humble about what you've been able to do does not diminish your achievements.

philp

Well said.

philp

Incredibly well said.

philp

I don't attribute it all solely to my own efforts. I had help from people. People I contacted, met and got to know.

And I am extremely greatful to be doing what I'm doing.

But luck had nothing to do with it.

It was hard, non-stop work. Researching and contacting people and companies day in day out. And maintaining those contacts.

Treat every gig as if it was the biggest, most important gig of your life, no matter what it is.

It wasnt luck or coincidence that got me my current gig. In fact, I was told that one of the reasons I was brought in, was because I religiously stayed in contact from the day I arrived in LA, until 3 years later when a spot opened up.

Anybody who thinks an email and one phone call will get them the gig is sorely mistaken.

As far as being ready, I am always ready.

And remember the following:

"You have to open the door when opportunity knocks. How do you know when it's opportunity knocking? You don't. You just keep opening the door."

It's not arrogance, but quite the contrary. I firmly believe that if I can do it, so can someone else.

Luck is an excuse used by people who don't succeed for whatever reason.

It wasnt luck or coincidence that got me my current gig. In fact, I was told that one of the reasons I was brought in, was because I religiously stayed in contact from the day I arrived in LA, until 3 years later when a spot opened up.

No one claiming luck has something to do with your success is denying your hard work - but isn't it lucky that the spot you were offered opened up at all? What if that person that left/got fired/etc never did? There is a balance. I work extremely hard at keeping in contact, following up 'leads' etc, and sometimes (like this week where 4 jobs have just cancelled, postponed or changed dates to a different date when I'm unavailable) things just don't go my way. Bad luck.

No one claiming luck has something to do with your success is denying your hard work - but isn't it lucky that the spot you were offered opened up at all? What if that person that left/got fired/etc never did? There is a balance. I work extremely hard at keeping in contact, following up 'leads' etc, and sometimes (like this week where 4 jobs have just cancelled, postponed or changed dates to a different date when I'm unavailable) things just don't go my way. Bad luck.

People come and go all the time in this business. That's not luck. That's just the way it is.

And getting the call to fill that seat has nothing to do with luck. I'm sorry. I just don't buy the luck thing.

You want something. It's going to take handwork, focus and dedication. And in our line of work, talent.

And location is important as well.

Which is why I told the OP to move to LA, no matter what.

Colandro is right to fire off the warning about how hard it is here. Make no mistake, it is tough to make it happen in this crazy town.

I've lived here all my 37 years and been involved in many pursuits, artistic and technical and all are a tough time. You can definitely carve out a life for yourself but it won't likely be easy and you may end up carving out a totally different life than you originally set out for. Anyway, if you come to LA, you're a likable, responsible person and you don't mind hitting a bunch of free and lo/no for awhile you'll probably get on just fine.