Lectrosonics SRb with Sennheiser SK2000 transmitter

Bartek Baranowski

I'm looking into whether anyone has any experience using the compatibility mode on Lectrosonics SRb receivers with the Sennheiser 2000 and G2500 (plug-on) transmitters.

I've got 2 of the 2000 bodypack tx and one plug-on which i now use with the senn. ew g3 receivers, however i"m considering adding Lectro SRb receiver for better range and to go Lectro way in the future.

The questions I hope to get the answers for are:

1. will these 2 particular combination work and what might be the shortcomings of pairing the 2 systems?

2.is there a sound quality loss when compared to using the original, dedicated receivers?

3. How easy is the operation of the SR in that set-up? Are all the information on the lcd, like RF strenth bar, bateries power?

4. How much more range can I gain compared to senn ew100 receivers?  

5.Can I use an antena with the SR to receive signal from both G2 500 plug-on and sk2000 tx? Do you use one antena or need 2- one for each tx?

Thanks

Bartek 

I'm looking into whether anyone has any experience using the compatibility mode on Lectrosonics SRb receivers with the Sennheiser 2000 and G2500 (plug-on) transmitters.

I've got 2 of the 2000 bodypack tx and one plug-on which i now use with the senn. ew g3 receivers, however i"m considering adding Lectro SRb receiver for better range and to go Lectro way in the future.

The questions I hope to get the answers for are:

1. will these 2 particular combination work and what might be the shortcomings of pairing the 2 systems?

2.is there a sound quality loss when compared to using the original, dedicated receivers?

3. How easy is the operation of the SR in that set-up? Are all the information on the lcd, like RF strenth bar, bateries power?

4. How much more range can I gain compared to senn ew100 receivers?  

5.Can I use an antena with the SR to receive signal from both G2 500 plug-on and sk2000 tx? Do you use one antena or need 2- one for each tx?

Thanks

Bartek 

Hi Bartek,

You won't have a transmitter battery indicator. Our telemetry system is very different.

You will need two antennas for diversity operation whether you are using one or both transmitters.

The compander emulation is setup for the3000 and 5000 series. It will work but not perfectly with the 2000 series. Other posters can give you their actual use opinions of that and the other details.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

I spent quite a bit of time with a G3 transmitter and a 401 receiver.

During speech, it works, sometimes better, sometimes worse than the G3 receiver.

What I found unacceptable was the way the noise floor pumps between lines. Really, really difficult to work around. Also it felt like the overall dynamics were just not right. The pre-emphasis was off or something.

I purchased a UM400a after fighting with the sennheisers for two weeks.

My dealer smiled, like any good drug dealer, they knew I'd be back after that first hit. Clearly the Lectro equipment was much better in every way.

I'd use the emulation modes with the sennheisers if I were at a press events and could listen in on a transmitter that wasn't mine in a pinch or something but wouldn't rely on it for my day to day work.

Pm me if you want to hear a side by side comparison. I think I still have those test files somewhere.

I spent quite a bit of time with a G3 transmitter and a 401 receiver.

During speech, it works, sometimes better, sometimes worse than the G3 receiver.

What I found unacceptable was the way the noise floor pumps between lines. Really, really difficult to work around. Also it felt like the overall dynamics were just not right. The pre-emphasis was off or something.

I purchased a UM400a after fighting with the sennheisers for two weeks.

My dealer smiled, like any good drug dealer, they knew I'd be back after that first hit. Clearly the Lectro equipment was much better in every way.

I'd use the emulation modes with the sennheisers if I were at a press events and could listen in on a transmitter that wasn't mine in a pinch or something but wouldn't rely on it for my day to day work.

Pm me if you want to hear a side by side comparison. I think I still have those test files somewhere.

Hi Crussel,

Thanks for the real world input. The noise floor pumping can be mitigated with more transmitter gain, if that doesn't drive the transmitter into clipping. However, the emulation is definitely better when used with the 3000, 5000 series.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Yea, I was pushing the gain harder than was safe already, though that is what I did and it did help some.  

Looking back I'm glad it didn't work perfectly, I'm much happier with my full lectro system than I ever was with the Sennheiser systems.  Playing with compatibility mode gave me the opportunity to learn the equipment and realize just how much better RF stability the Lectro stuff has. 

I know it was the right call because I'm happier with the gear than I was with the money I spent on it!

I called Lectro's support before I did it and they said it wouldn't work so my expectations were exactly that.  I find that compatibility mode is a very useful tool for those times when you can't get your transmitter on someone but they are wearing one.  Lately (in sound reinforcement situations I'm seeing allot of the Sennheiser G3 or G2 units or the similarly priced Shure models.)  

Maybe one day when you guys are sitting around bored, you could add full compatibility for the lower end transmitters?  (can't hurt to ask) 

Thanks for the input Crussell. That doesnt sound to good. curious to find out weather anything changed in SRb rx in comparison to 401 in the way modulation mode works with other tx brands?

We have added additional modes (such as Audio LTD compander emulation) as time goes on but you can just check the manual (online) to see what modes a given receiver has. We have also made some subtle tweaks to the emulations as we've learned more. The SRb will be the same as the 401; no better, no worse. I will check with the crew on the G3 emulation and whether we want to do it.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

The Sennheiser mode you have now is so close.  Wether to add G3 compatibility or not,  I bet would really come down to a business decision rather than technical limitations. (Me showing how little I know about designing these things I'm sure, everything looks easy from the sidelines.)

I can see it being beneficial as a stepping stone for new users to work their way into the Lectro ecosystem using some of their old hardware while they save up for the good stuff.  

The Sennheiser mode you have now is so close.  Wether to add G3 compatibility or not,  I bet would really come down to a business decision rather than technical limitations. (Me showing how little I know about designing these things I'm sure, everything looks easy from the sidelines.)

I can see it being beneficial as a stepping stone for new users to work their way into the Lectro ecosystem using some of their old hardware while they save up for the good stuff.  

Thats exactly what I'm planning to do. I want to go Lectro way in the future but a year ago I've spent $1500 for the 2 seen 2000, which by the way have served me very very well. because of higher output power, their reach is way better than the ew100 and the bateries last 6-8 hours no problem. they work great as camera hop and IBF for the director. I dont want to get rid of the but I dont have an extra $3000 for new lectro. Buying just SR would allow me to add the lecrtro tx in the future and still use my senn for IBF or as spare systems. Would anyone else who has both Lestro SR and Senn 2000 SK tx ( G2 5000 SK plugin) care to do a short test and share the results? Thanks