what better between sennheiser ew100 g3 and old lectro

Squareboy

I'll get in early with "it depends"<br /><br />195D are great units, and sound great. They are fixed frequency units so if you are shooting somewhere and there is something else (interference) on that frequency there is little you can do; all you can do is get the receiver as close as you can. The Senn units are ok sounding and are frequency agile, so you can change the operating frequency to a "clear" frequency. <br /><br />I held on to my 195s and use them very occasionally <br /><br />I would check carefully what frequencies are good at you locations.

I'll get in early with "it depends"<br /><br />195D are great units, and sound great. They are fixed frequency units so if you are shooting somewhere and there is something else (interference) on that frequency there is little you can do; all you can do is get the receiver as close as you can. The Senn units are ok sounding and are frequency agile, so you can change the operating frequency to a "clear" frequency. <br /><br />I held on to my 195s and use them very occasionally <br /><br />I would check carefully what frequencies are good at you locations.

What he said. 

+1

Personnaly i would start with a senheisser for the frequency scanning and flexibilty. Also the g2-3s will grow with you and can be used as ifb's layer down your sound path.

Be carefull with the connectors and belt clip (on the g2-3's) since they are fragile. And range is not great but is usually enough.

The most important part is putting proper lavalier mics on your transmitters (Oscar sound tech tl-40's will give you great value for your $$$. forget the standard ones that come with the pack) and setting our gain structure proper.

Old lectros are good too but less flexible use wise.4aga4esy.jpg

Good luck!

If you have a little extra money you could look into the Lectro 200 Series. You'd pick up the ability to change frequency and they sound great.

Plus they can be a stepping stone to the 400 series since the emulation (compatibility) is very good. That is to say a 200+200 system today, a split 200+400 system tomorrow, then later a 400+400 with the 200 sold to pay part of the 400 cost. The 200's will have support for the foreseeable future and are probably pretty much depreciated. This is why we've taken the long range view in supporting older product through emulation.

Best,

Larry "Captain Jack" Fisher

The fidelity of my 195D's was awesome.  Yes, you'd want to make sure the freq was good in your area, however, I had one that I used up until a month ago (sold it for $600, bought in 1996) and it was working just fine in Washington D.C. (ask Lectro how fun it was to find a fixed freq in D.C.) 

That said, I like Larry's approach to owning Lectro's and will always vouch for their durability and quality over the Sennheiser (recently bought one for scratch track/ifb).  But it is a good point that you could gradually turn your G3's into IFB's and such.

How's that for confusing your decision?  I think overall, I'd run with Larry's approach...

Brian