Introducing the TASCAM DR-60D

Tom Duffy

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you go into detail about what's new? I see better preamps, which is always nice, of course— is there more?

I'd presume that the popping on volume adjust has been fixed, since that go so much ink on the last revision. Can you confirm that? What about being able to use the device as a USB Audio Interface? That's a pretty big feature for us mere hobbyists (and was the feature that kept me from buying the first revision).

dr-44wl and dr-22wl look like fun: usb bus power, wifi monitor, control and download, dual record wav and mp3.

Tom can you tell us some more:

~ Latency and range on the wifi?

~ Is it possible to disable the transport control of the wifi function and use it exclusively as a monitor? 

~ I was going to replace my h2 with h1 as a back up recorder to go with my sd302 mainly because it has a menu free set-up and handles the 302's tape out better (than h2) - menu set up is not a deal breaker but how it handles line-in would be - how do you anticipate these 2 products will handle the unbalanced line level (of the sd302) and is there much to choose between the 4 track and 2 track models in this respect?

thanks in advance,

dan.

~ Latency and range on the wifi?

~ Is it possible to disable the transport control of the wifi function and use it exclusively as a monitor? 

~ I was going to replace my h2 with h1 as a back up recorder to go with my sd302 mainly because it has a menu free set-up and handles the 302's tape out better (than h2) - menu set up is not a deal breaker but how it handles line-in would be - how do you anticipate these 2 products will handle the unbalanced line level (of the sd302) and is there much to choose between the 4 track and 2 track models in this respect?

Still waiting on real-word tests to know what latency and range are.  Like any WiFi product, there are infinite variable combinations, hence the Senators usual comment "it depends" (on too many factors to give a useful answer).

One controller at a time connects to the DR-44WL, so it's up to you not to press the transport buttons.   The HOLD function on the recorder would of course lock out the transport completely.

From specs listed in the back of the reference manual  and the specifications tab for each product on our webpage:

The DR-22WL has unbalanced line in on 1/8" stereo, max -4dBV, which is 6dB of headroom over -10dBV consumer unbalanced.

The DR-44WL has balanced in on 2x combo XLR/TRS, max +20dBu, which is 16dB of headroom over +4dBu pro balanced.

The dual recording ability of the 44WL and the combo inputs makes it a no-brainer if you're feeding it audio from something else.

As a hide-it-in-the-corner plant mic as well as an ENG interview solution, the DR-22WL has its niche.

---

Tom (TASCAM)

hi, and welcome, tweet: " feature for us mere hobbyists "

please keep in mind this is a forum of and for working professionals in production sound.

Sure, and I'm not going to say the device is useless for working pros if it lacks features that are mostly useful to hobbyists. At the same time, Mr. Duffy has stated that the price drop has come from "Economies of scale that weren't obvious" which suggests pretty strongly that the hobbyist market plays at least some role in the niche that the dr-60d has ended up in.

TASCAM has been making USB audio interfaces for 14 years (US-428 in 2000, Windows 98SE and Mac OS 9 ), so we're familiar with that market.

The needs and requests from DTM (DeskTop Music) computer users are completely different from DSLR film makers, so adding USB audio to the DR-60D makes very little sense...  

If the DSLR's HDMI output was being recorded directly into a computer, having USB audio fed into the computer at the same time might make sense, but HDMI recording is problematic, and DSLR filmmaking makes the most advantage of not being tethered, as far as I see it.

Thanks for the response, Tom. Actually, going through the camera's HDMI might suffice for me, the more I think about it. It's a bit sad to have to go through another DAC->ADC cycle when it seems likely that the right firmware in the Tascam would solve it directly, but oh well.

Guess I just need to wait for reviews on those volume knobs…