V lock battery in sound bag etc

pinkywinkieOZ

Hey everybody,

First off - happy Easter! While the rest of the country here in Australia celebrates a long weekend, we're getting ready for a 7am call tomorrow. Fab-o! Anyway.

Speaking with my cameraman tonight, he mentioned that he's come across some sound guys who use V-lock batteries in their bag, as well as some kind of plate mounted to the side of the battery on camera for the camera hop. I've never heard of either of these and was wondering if anybody here has?

I use NP1 batteries in my bag; lectro SRB with the battsled on the camera. I figure I don't want to rely on tapping power from the camera so best to have the option of self-powering.

Any ideas / experiences would be most welcome!

Kind regards,

Eren

The other week, I had one of the AC's tell me that my UCR411 hops weren't powering up on one of the cameras. I checked it out and it ended up being a blown fuse inside the camera battery plate.. Just another camera issue they try to blame on sound. But I agree with Mark, no reason not to suck juice from camera. I would rather power from camera then have to swap 9v's at lunch.

I use a V-mount in my bag. It's a long story I have posted elsewhere on this site, but I thought I could get an all-day battery in a good size unit. Turned out posted specs were wrong and I settled on 6Ah v-mounts that have a DC out port and a D-tap. I don't use a plate in my bag. I can run Nomad and wireless easily half a day with the single battery, though mileage depends on how many wireless mics you have powered up. If it's a shorter day (maybe 8 hours) without a lot of wireless, I go the day on a single battery. 

As for cameras, I always bring a backup power solution for hops. I have come across way too many blown fuses, or some other reason the camera is not sending out DC power. 

On my QRX100Q and RX900S receivers, I bring the same batteries that Jack linked above. The down side is that they don't have a click and go charger like a Sony prosumer camera battery. The plus side is that they are really small and relatively cheap. They will hold onto the RX with velcro. I've been looking for something a little cleaner and easier, but nothing has stood out yet. 

Although i use a IDX v-lok plate / BEC mount combo with my Lectro SRB's with custom cables (so that I am not tapping power from the hirose or on board d-taps) if this had been available at the time I would have purchased a Hawkwoods VL-RM6S . Url = http://www.hawkwoods.com/products/details/details.php?code=vl-rm6s&mainMenuItemToSlide=1&asi=vl-100&asi2=pc-3

post-3408-0-46588900-1364568737_thumb.jp

Hey everybody,

First off - happy Easter! While the rest of the country here in Australia celebrates a long weekend, we're getting ready for a 7am call tomorrow. Fab-o! Anyway.

Speaking with my cameraman tonight, he mentioned that he's come across some sound guys who use V-lock batteries in their bag, as well as some kind of plate mounted to the side of the battery on camera for the camera hop. I've never heard of either of these and was wondering if anybody here has?

I use NP1 batteries in my bag; lectro SRB with the battsled on the camera. I figure I don't want to rely on tapping power from the camera so best to have the option of self-powering.

Any ideas / experiences would be most welcome!

Kind regards,

Eren

Were you referring to one of these with an additional plate attached to the bracket for the hop?

http://www.hawkwoods.com/products/details/details.php?code=vl-rmb&mainMenuItemToSlide=1&asi=pc-3&asi2=vl-70

""....as well as some kind of plate mounted to the side of the battery on camera for the camera hop. I've never heard of either of these and was wondering if anybody here has?""

Here's something on the subject of attaching stuff to camera although shipping to Auz might be expensive:

http://www.bblist.co.uk/item.php?item=34900

Thanks everybody for all of your input!  

Let's split this into two streams: 

1) the audio bag V-lock solution

2) the camera hop v-lock solution

Re. 1), does anybody here employ this method to power your audio bag?  I use NP1's, which I generally change at lunch, and have invested a good few $$ into setting up, so I'm not too keen on jumping ship as per my cameraman's suggestion.  But it's worth investigating all the same.

Re. 2), while the links provided are very informative, I'm still a little muddy about the actual operation of it all, unfortunately.  Can anybody enlighten me as to how it all comes together?  Silly question, but for this guy, where does the receiver actually go?!

http://www.hawkwoods.com/products/details/details.php?code=vl-rm6w&mainMenuItemToSlide=1&asi=vl-100&asi2=pc-3

Is it fixed onto the battery via velcro, or is does it slot onto the side via a bracket that I can't see?

I decided to choose the SRb with the battery sled in case I come across cameras from which I can't tap power, so I wanted to ensure a route to fire the unit up in any given scenario, but that being said I would rather power the unit from camera, hence my niggling questions!

Many thanks and regards everybody,

Eren

Thanks everybody for all of your input!

Let's split this into two streams:

1) the audio bag V-lock solution

2) the camera hop v-lock solution

Re. 1), does anybody here employ this method to power your audio bag? I use NP1's, which I generally change at lunch, and have invested a good few $$ into setting up, so I'm not too keen on jumping ship as per my cameraman's suggestion. But it's worth investigating all the same.

Re. 2), while the links provided are very informative, I'm still a little muddy about the actual operation of it all, unfortunately. Can anybody enlighten me as to how it all comes together? Silly question, but for this guy, where does the receiver actually go?!

http://www.hawkwoods.com/products/details/details.php?code=vl-rm6w&mainMenuItemToSlide=1&asi=vl-100&asi2=pc-3

Is it fixed onto the battery via velcro, or is does it slot onto the side via a bracket that I can't see?

I decided to choose the SRb with the battery sled in case I come across cameras from which I can't tap power, so I wanted to ensure a route to fire the unit up in any given scenario, but that being said I would rather power the unit from camera, hence my niggling questions!

Many thanks and regards everybody,

Eren

In the hawk woods product, the receiver slots into this device so you end up with:

(Camera body) | (hawk woods product with RX inside) | (battery that powers both)

The new Sony batteries for the F5 and F55 look interesting.  They are labelled as "Olivine" but apparently seem to be LiFePO4 chemistry, the first V-lock battery that I'm aware of that uses it.  The charger is ridiculously expensive, but I believe the batteries can be charged with regular lithium chargers, just that you can't quite reach full 100% charge using them.  The Sony specific charger allows for extremely rapid charging if needed.  There has been a lot of LiFePO4 attention recently, and this seemed like an interesting development.

3D_BP-FL75_KIT__25210_zoom.jpg

I use V Lock for everything. They are universal within the Camera Department and Vid Assist.  If, God forbid, you run out or lose your NP1/Charger, you may be SOL.  V-Lock are like DogPoo.... they're everywhere...... and a kindly loan of a battery or charger from the AsstCam can be a lifesaver. I have also lent V Lock to the Cam Dept (color me a Communist).  The Li NP1 is a robust battery but could be watthour challenged when you're toting the "BigBag" and a  higher capacity option may also save your butt.  My TechnoDoomThink brain visualized the lack of NP1 or V Lock batteries, so I got an Anton Bauer toV Lock adapter just in case there are only AB Gold Mount batteries nearby.  Color me a scaredy cat, but that's how I think.

Don't cheap out on batteries.... I've had IDX batteries last 5-9 years in our moderately light current draw usage.  When I see a 2005 tag on a battery, I think $40/year per battery..... pretty good value if ya ask me.  Lot less than my ECCO Boots  

I've been using v-mount to power my BDS for the last 12 months and couldn't be happier. My batteries are Global Media (link below) and have been rock solid. Forget the added weight and bulk of extra plates just power from the D-tap. I have 65w, 95w and 180w batteries depending on what my power needs are. The Global Media travel charger is the way to go. 

Global Media try out kit

Good luck!

Eren

This is a no-brainer.

I've been running my sound kit on V-Lock batteries since they became standard issue for ENG/EFP crews. And these days with the demand of my kit as it is, the old NP1's just wouldn't cut it. Plus as David says above, it makes perfect sense to run your sound kit on the same batts as most of the other battery using equipment on most sets. I've often borrowed a battery from the camera department to get me out of trouble, and visa versa...

Right now I'm running a 788T with a CL8 and an external 500Gb FW800 drive, 2 x Lectro SR RX units, a Zaxcom STA/TRX900 camera link, a Betso TCD1 time code display unit, a Zaxcom IFB100 and a Hirose to USB2 cable for emergency iPhone charging too! With all of this on I get about 4 hr's continuous with 8 x channels armed from a small 70w/hour V-Lock batt.

I prefer to have more smaller capacity batts than fewer large capacity versions - weight is a back killer and mine is complaining at every extra gram of weight these days!

I bought a cheapo V-Lock plate and screwed it into the side pocket of my Porta-Brace bag and have a 4-pin XLR out of it running into a custom made power distribution box. It has three circuits so I can turn on/off the mixer/radio mics/TC Display as I need.

Make the change, you'll love it!

The pic is of my batt distribution set up just before my cable guy sent it to me - it too is fantastic, he's in Melbourne and if you need his details lemme know and I'll hook you up.

Take care...

Andrew

post-2765-0-52149100-1365337606_thumb.jp

Vincent

For fear of hijacking this topic, I have a "cable guy" in another city here in Australia. He's brilliant at making cables and devices such as what you see above.

I made a rough sketch and told him what I wanted etc and he built it for me. Cost about AU$1k.

You can get him here: http://www.weterminate.com.au/

Take care...

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Although i use a IDX v-lok plate / BEC mount combo with my Lectro SRB's with custom cables (so that I am not tapping power from the hirose or on board d-taps) if this had been available at the time I would have purchased a Hawkwoods VL-RM6S . Url = http://www.hawkwoods.com/products/details/details.php?code=vl-rm6s&mainMenuItemToSlide=1&asi=vl-100&asi2=pc-3

Matt I just had a chat with Hawk Woods tech guys and they are in the process of making a low profile (to be neat on F5, F55) SR RX V-Slot unit with TA3 TA5 connectors with duel hirose to run TC Buddy etc.

Still in development but hopefully have my hands on it soon

• 2 years later...

I use a 150Wh V-Mount to power my bag/cart rig: 788T (with CL8/9 and CL Wifi - not sure if these crank up the power draw, as it should) + Lectro Venue.
2 batteries (without charging on set) can power up for a good 12 hour day. 

My other bag with 664, 4-5 Lectrosonics 211 and PSC RF SMA is powered by a 12V 7.2Ah SLA battery. 

1 battery would last 4.5 hours if it was used continuously-on mode.
Economical-mode (turning off and on) can easily give you 6 hours and more. Very similar to what a NP1 battery would give me.

Moved on from NP1 because my charger went faulty, and sourcing the battery + charger in my country is impossible. Nearest I can buy them is in a neighboring country.

Bought the V-Mount because as advised by a camera operator (easier to find in case things go wrong) and true enough nowadays even LED-light equipment uses it and in fact it saved me the other day (had to borrow one of their V-Mount).

Commenting in case other people ever search for these to choose their battery system.

If budget was no problem get V-mounts. Only thing about them is the standard issue charger is big and bulky.
There is a 'travel charger' that uses the standard laptop powering adapter to 2 d-tap connectors but I just can't put my faith in that kind of charger if I was on a travelling shoot. If brought along as a backup, then yes.

If you're only starting out and cost-conscious, the 12V SLA is a great bang for your buck and can easily be found (when sourcing for new batteries / charger).

I use a 150Wh V-Mount to power my bag/cart rig: 788T (with CL8/9 and CL Wifi - not sure if these crank up the power draw, as it should) + Lectro Venue.
2 batteries (without charging on set) can power up for a good 12 hour day. 

My other bag with 664, 4-5 Lectrosonics 211 and PSC RF SMA is powered by a 12V 7.2Ah SLA battery. 

1 battery would last 4.5 hours if it was used continuously-on mode.
Economical-mode (turning off and on) can easily give you 6 hours and more. Very similar to what a NP1 battery would give me.

Moved on from NP1 because my charger went faulty, and sourcing the battery + charger in my country is impossible. Nearest I can buy them is in a neighboring country.

Bought the V-Mount because as advised by a camera operator (easier to find in case things go wrong) and true enough nowadays even LED-light equipment uses it and in fact it saved me the other day (had to borrow one of their V-Mount).

Commenting in case other people ever search for these to choose their battery system.

If budget was no problem get V-mounts. Only thing about them is the standard issue charger is big and bulky.
There is a 'travel charger' that uses the standard laptop powering adapter to 2 d-tap connectors but I just can't put my faith in that kind of charger if I was on a travelling shoot. If brought along as a backup, then yes.

If you're only starting out and cost-conscious, the 12V SLA is a great bang for your buck and can easily be found (when sourcing for new batteries / charger).

Also the 12V SLA have this new chemistry available called LiFePo.
Seems to be quite a big improvement to the previous chemistry but I can't find one in my country yet so no feedback from me.
Would love to try it once it's here.