Thank god for TC, but why does Red keep inventing new timecode standards?

boodschap

I don't think the Red sync connection on the Lemo4 is usable by us. I'm pretty sure their proprietary "sync" connection is intended for use when connecting two Reds for a little 3D rig.

The Pro I/O module does have a genlock BNC on it, as well as 5-pin Lemo.

It's way usable, I use it all the time--I have two clients with 3 Epics between them who just won't pony up for the connector boxes.  It's a "mini-Lemo" 4 pin male as shown in the diags above, TC and sync input and stop/start GPIO.  Just last night I fixed my overpriced RED Lemo-to-3 BNC cable that uses that port, again, for job this week.  This cable is how we use a Lockit with the module-less Epic, and thus have double system sync sound w/o the extra modules.  The add-ons are preferable for sure, but I can't always count on them being on the cams I have to deal with.

philp

Does anyone know of someone selling a heavy duty version of that RED cable that has both TC and sync input on it?  

The RED manual has all the details of that connector.  It's been handy to have that manual on my location laptop because the process for getting all the sync crap on the RED working is not at all straightforward.  It often requires a little "playgroup" by the camera as we all try to remember what we did that worked last time...

philp

Phil, where are your red cables breaking? At the lemo?

Mine went intermittent @ the BNC.  The BNCs on the cable I bought from RED are a cheesey molded-on type w/o strain relief.  Those connectors and how they are made is why I want a replacement made by someone who knows what they are doing re cables that will be exposed to full cam dept fury on jobs.  Coiled would be good.

philp