Audio in Moving Car

adaml

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quiet dialog in a convertible.

Doesn't someone here use "unreasonable expectations" a lot? Talk to the director. Discuss what's "real" in terms of the story. People don't talk quietly in convertibles. To sell proper speed (faster than process trailers go), they'll want to add road noise and wind noise and car noise. Actors should "act" like they would if it was happening.

That said, lav the actors. It'll be the easiest solution. Although I effectively used a 50 with a softie from below (tight lenses) with great success in a convertible. If you can't get the mic close enough with proper wind protection, the again... Mic the actor.

I have used lav visor mics and plants too (actor climbs onto driver to make out while driving convertible). Techno on camera car. Couldn't use big plants. In that case, I think it ended up being looped. Just too much noise and "business".

Just a thought: there are spots in convertible cars that don't get as much wind as you might think. If you're able, I'd beg props to let you take a passenger-side ride along with your proposed mics of choice, looking for those spots that don't attract wind eddies.

Have been successful mounting Schoeps to armature wire and held by a shot bag, from both floor and console.

Most recently used two Schoeps from console, two cubs with hand made furries on visors and actors wired.  Had the vehicle no roof, might have put Rycote hair over the teardrops that I think would yield more wind protection than the softies also on hand.

Do let us know how it turns out.

I have done maybe 75-100 car shoots for the last 2 years.

I have tried numerous setups but the one that I choose 95% of the time is normal lav each person making sure the seatbelt is not close or over the MIC. The main reason for using this setup is we shoot people getting in the car , driving, getting out of the car then getting back in and driving. To make it easy on post I just use the Lavs.

Now my trick is I have a third mic usually DPA 4063 or mkh8040 in between the 2 people. The antenna is extended behind the headrest or on the back window. This gives me a longer range and constant non interrupted feed to director and producers who drive behind our production van.

This setup is has worked for me and while not ideal it works well if talent is not wearing noisy clothing.

Do you put the 3rd mic above or below? I'm guessing above to reduce the car's mechanical noise.

Just a thought: there are spots in convertible cars that don't get as much wind as you might think. If you're able, I'd beg props to let you take a passenger-side ride along with your proposed mics of choice, looking for those spots that don't attract wind eddies.

Have been successful mounting Schoeps to armature wire and held by a shot bag, from both floor and console.

Most recently used two Schoeps from console, two cubs with hand made furries on visors and actors wired.  Had the vehicle no roof, might have put Rycote hair over the teardrops that I think would yield more wind protection than the softies also on hand.

Do let us know how it turns out.

Thanks Jan, good advice.

Where does one get armature wire? Also when you say "put Rycote hair" Do you mean canibalizing an existing windjammer?

Thanks again,

Geoff

Quiet dialog in a convertible.

Doesn't someone here use "unreasonable expectations" a lot? Talk to the director. Discuss what's "real" in terms of the story. People don't talk quietly in convertibles. To sell proper speed (faster than process trailers go), they'll want to add road noise and wind noise and car noise. Actors should "act" like they would if it was happening.

That said, lav the actors. It'll be the easiest solution. Although I effectively used a 50 with a softie from below (tight lenses) with great success in a convertible. If you can't get the mic close enough with proper wind protection, the again... Mic the actor.

I have used lav visor mics and plants too (actor climbs onto driver to make out while driving convertible). Techno on camera car. Couldn't use big plants. In that case, I think it ended up being looped. Just too much noise and "business".

Thanks Robert. I intend to mic them, fortunately there won't be seat belts. Just looking for all my options. Geez I hate that "L" word..

Thanks Jan, good advice.

Where does one get armature wire? Also when you say "put Rycote hair" Do you mean canibalizing an existing windjammer?

Thanks again,

Geoff

Art store is where I found that which I've used. A google search of armature wire yields lots of ideas. You gotta get your hands on it to know whether it will work I think. Expect calipers in this week and will confirm diameter as soon as that happens.

The windjammer I used doesn't have a part number on it, but it's lined and fits fairly tightly around the teardrop and secures with a piece of Velcro. It's been so long since I purchased, they've probably changed the model in any event. Having looked around over at Rycote, my guess is a dealer or Rycote call might have to be made. Sorry. Wish I could have helped more.

I'm not super experienced, but I have done this before (not in a convertible) with two hidden countrymans on the actors and two Oktava 012s mounted on the center console.  For a convertible I would've tried the same with Baby Ball Gags/windjammers.  I removed all keys from the keychain, and made sure the AC was off.

Wish I had the gear to do it the way Wandering Ear did!  I just got creative with some shock mounts and gaff tape.

If it's a tight shot, sticking mics directly to the seat-belt may be a good option (as long as you politely make sure the actors won't tear the thing right off).

May be time to invest in a CUB.

Best bet is Trams/Sonotrims

Tape up the keys

Check the glove box, interior rattles, aircon off, windows up if DP allows

Lighting on rigs - generator well away and check gels and scrims for noise on take 1

Been there done that!!!

mike

Thanks Mike ...all good tips. Maybe I'm old school but I too like the sound of Sonotrims.