New from Zaxcom....

Jack Norflus

Can you use this to listen to "QC" audio from other TRX transmitters?

Given that the IFB 200 looks pretty much the same as this new TRX will the IFB functionality be the same between the two?

This amount of ZaxNet functionality on the camera link is still to be determined.  

At this point it can transmit TC and audio to an ERX receiver, it can receive TC and audio from the QRX, receive and change frequency on the camera link from a QRX. Other ZaxNet functionality my be added via software.

The IFB200 will have full ZaxNet functionality.

What is the power output on the 2.4ghz transmitter?

Question: if I was to use the cam link to send TC to a QRX100 from my 664, from the QRX feed the TC in on a camera, then take the TC out of the camera feed the QRX ( with IfB board option ) TC input in order to return the camera TC to my cam link and then feed my 664 TC in in order to constantly verify the TC value and frame rate info.

Is that possible? Please don't tell me to buy a nomad, I like my 664...

The power on the 2.4GHz transmitter in the prototype is in the area of 50mW - the production boards can potentially get that up to around 100mW - so it is still to be determined.

The QRX can output TC to a camera or receive TC from a camera but not both at the same time. If you had a Nomad and an ERX you can do what you are looking to do.

Jeff,

I have no intention of derailing the thread here, but want to speak to to my defense briefly:

I realize in full that the "blah blah blah" was a bit snarky. My post was partly fueled by frustration that during a 16 hour night exterior last night, I had one of my nearly bi-weekly nomad freezes. Now, it's just a b/u machine, so no biggie (Except for the fact that I was using it's output to feed someone for a separate earwig cue).

So yes, I was frustrated, but I stand by my feelings.

And I still wish that headphone pot were more secure.

To use the much detested archer/arrows analogy: if I were a general (or producer) sending even my best archer into battle... I would expect their arrows to fly straight.

You know how it is... We're judged to a small degree on our mixes (like it or not). What gets us the next gig is often just as much based on our likability on set, as well as our reliability and efficiency)

Best,

Wyatt

Back to your regularly scheduled thread (and time for me to get back to work):

PS: this Tx really is a welcome product! If I were still doing bag work, I would be all over it.

You totally can use two separate transmitters as hops.

Though there are several advantages about using a dedicated unit such as the new camera link or an TRX900AA with an STA adapter.

First is you can use the QRX in single mode which allows you the QRX to operate in true diversity which means the receivers work together resulting in about 4 dB increase sensitivity over dual mode and the receiver is better able to correct for reception errors. While the QRX in dual mode uses antenna switching diversity.

Also by using the camera link or TRX/STA you can feed the transmitter two balanced line level signals as opposed to feeding the two separate transmitters two unbalanced mic level signals.

The camera link or TRX/STA also allows you to power the unit from an external DC source vs using AA batteries or some sort of home brewed battery eliminator.

Plus by using two individual transmitters you loose the ability to receive return audio from the camera and you can't output the return TC from the camera - if you are in a situation where the camera is running record run TC.

Also if you are recording backup files on the internal SD card you will now have two cards each with one track vs one card with both tracks.

The advantage you didn't mention is sending in true stereo, and also minimizing phasing of 2 sources. I do a fair amount of stereo boom, and if you have 2 transmitters going, instead of just one, you loose the ability to send a stereo signal. A deal breaker for me.

I understand that, but it's not quite what I asked. For example I know many recordists who deliberately chose their SRa5p so they could use it as either a hop or talent wireless as the situation requires. It seems most Zax hop owners use the STA and keep the unit as a hop rather than using TRXs and having the ability to chop and change. I wondered why this is.

Here in the UK I find that wireless hops are still the exception rather than the rule for much TV programming. Production companies simply balk at paying for them. Certainly it's becoming a more common request for me, but cabled up is still the prevelant method.

I bought the TRX900/STA as a hop and on a few jobs repurposed it as a microphone on a job where the cameras only got G2 scratch tracks.

Oops, hit send.....

Anyway, I would like a unit like this because it shows you all info up top. With UM and LM Lectrosonics you can see the LEDs but with SM series I am constantly moving them to read the screen to check battery levels or even just to check audio levels. With the Zaxcom gear you can also visually confirm if it is recording or not, or manually turn recording off and on. I use wireless hops enough that I can dedicate a transmitter to it (the receiver is the same)... And like people said, you can still use Zaxcom gear the way we are today (repurposing a mic transmitter), but Zaxcom users have been asking for a unit like this, so this is great.

With the New Zaxcom camera link we have put together a product that I hope will become our new standard for sound bag to camera wireless audio link. We focused on size, weight, features, RF emissions and power consumption. The suggestions we get from you our customers have helped to make this product what it is today. We value your input and hope you will find the camera link exceeds your needs and expectations.

We wanted to eliminate all audio and RF problems that plague audio bags. The unit has an 114dB analog dynamic range when using the balanced line input. This is with no companding artifacts or loss of audio detail due to the compression used in FM transmission systems. The balanced input eliminates any ground loop noise generated when multiple devices are used in a sound bag with a common power source. Zaxcom wireless transmission is 100% digital modulation and as close to a hard wire as we can practically get it. While this product is best used with Zaxcom bag style mixers like Nomad and Maxx it will work very well with mixers from other manufactures. It will also work very well (RF wise) with wireless microphones from other manufactures.

The Link also has a sample rate converting AES input. When used the dynamic range of the link is 120dB. The AES input will always be the best way to connect to any device.

We took special care to make sure the UHF link transmitter had little or no “spray” that could affect other receivers in the sound bag. Two switchable filters make it easy to transmit and receive simultaneously in the same sound bag without interference.  The new link covers 2 frequency blocks so that any other blocks can be used for receivers in the sound bag.  The link does not require an external filter antenna as the internal switching filters preform the function. UHF power output is double that of our TRX900AA with the filter antenna so RF range will be improved by about 30%. The unit draws only 180ma at 12 volts. It runs almost cold and will work well in all environments.

Because only a single UHF transmitter is used for stereo audio and time code there are no intermodulation artifacts created making the selection of frequencies much easier.

As an added feature we included a full Zaxnet transceiver to allow for IFB monitoring and transmission as well as bi-directional time transmission. The Zaxnet transmitter is on 2.4Ghz and will never interfere with any UHF receiver in the sound bag.

A two channel backup recorder with time code is included. It records MARF files that can be converted to .BWF or MP3 format using Zaxconvert on a PC or MAC.

With the Zaxcom Camera link several other devices namely 2 FM modulation transmitters, IFB transmitter, timecode reader generator, time code distribution transmitter and 2 channel backup recorder, interconnecting cables and power requirements and RF spray are removed from the sound bag.

I personally am very proud of this device and hope it will find its way into your sound bag and will become one of your favorite pieces of gear.

We hope to see everyone at NAB. Zaxcom will display three new products at the show that will all be delivering within the next 60 days.

Best Wishes

Glenn Sanders

President Zaxcom Inc.

If you are using a Nomad with internal Zaxnet, is there any advantage to using this one instead for crew monitoring? I assume you could run this one as transmission and use the internal one as a camera return, right? ... Or use one as a private line to a boom op maybe. So many options!

Great job on the new product Glenn, this thing really does look like it was designed with lots of user input. I'm really looking forward to upgrading to one (but not to seeing what my TRX900AA setup goes for). 

A question: Will the features on this unit all be standard, or will one be able to piece meal the unit? Say configure a unit that's RF only, or one with RF, zaxnet, and no record option. etc. 

-Mike

If one was getting a Maxx, would these new products change what would be best as a camera hop?

It depends.

If you wanted ZaxNet IFB and TC distribution then Maxx with a camera link might be a better alternative than a Maxx with a transmiter.

Glad i kept i stubled onbthis thread too since i asked about maxx in another. Ok so why would it be better alternative?

By the way it congrats Zaxcom!!!

Glad i kept i stubled onbthis thread too since i asked about maxx in another. Ok so why would it be better alternative?

By the way it congrats Zaxcom!!!

Maxx is a mixer / recorder / with an option 2 channel camera link transmitter. But Maxx doesn't have a ZaxNet transceiver.

The new Camera Link is a 2 channel camera link with a ZaxNet transceiver.

So if you want ZaxNet ability from your bag the Maxx with Camera Link might be a better option than a Maxx with the optional transmitter.

Given that if you want to use ZaxNet to send audio to ERX receivers you can also use a camera mounted QRX with the option board to transmit audio so you can get a Maxx with the optional transmitter and that will work for you.

So the short answer is it depends. It depends on your work-flow, and how you plan to expand your setup in the future.

I hope this clarifies things a bit.

My nomad has a transmit and receive option in the zaxnet menu now. Does that not work? 

It does work - but it is not transmitting and receiving at the same time.

In "TX-RX" mode if you select to monitor a ZaxNet signal in your headphone preset Nomad will temporarily stop transmitting and go into receive mode until you leave that headphone preset.

Hey Glenn, just a special request to consider a slot-in format receiver. I'm buying a pair of WM and SRb units expressly for the slot-in feature (doing double duty as my waterwork special purpose talent wires).

+1

Shame Zaxcom didn't make it fit the slot as a dual camera receiver - I won't be considering / buying it for that reason.