New from Zaxcom....

Jack Norflus

Well, technically a trade in program can be a really smart move. It takes all those other units off the secondary market and funnels shoppers to buy new.

A healthy secondary, or used, market is a good thing for a maker of high quality items. It allows those just starting out to buy a decent piece of gear that they'll probably replace with another item from the same manufacturer. By actively supporting a used market the maker can make some money selling spares and service and keep the reputation of the brand high.

• 4 weeks later...

IFB200 seems like a good companion to the Maxx but that power toggle switch from 1965 looks like something that would be switched off just when you don't want it to. Why would Zaxcom not implement the soft button, press and hold power switch?

There are several reasons for the switch. First and formost is to make the unit as RF tight as possible.

I'm not sure about the physics of it but apparently using a membrane switch for power - and more so how the circuit board has to be designed to accomidate it makes the unit more suspectable to spewing stray RF.

I personally like a toggle switch vs a membrane switch - but that just may be me.

Recess it in the case then, as they did in 1966...

Just going by pictures.... it looks more recessed than the switch on the RX900S. I'm happy it has a switch. I often leave my TRX900AA/STA150 in the bag, and the TRX power switch is bypassed when using external power. 

• 4 months later...

I can't find any of the usual suspects that have the IFB 200 listed for sale, but every one has a listing for the Camera Link. Anybody have a link?

Also, I really like the idea of a Zaxnet transciever that is able to simultaneously transmit and receive Zaxnet commands, essentially acting as a Zaxnet/IFB range extender that can be powered internally.

I have an IFB200. It works pretty well. It does have remote control capability, but is not as convenient as control directly from a QRX, especially if your using multiple channels, which is less capable than remote control from something like a Nomad. If Maxx offered Zaxnet and remote roll capability via contact closure (given products on the market today), I GUARANTEE that I would buy it. There, that can only be taken as a positive post, yes?

The IFB 200 can send and receive Zaxnet commands - but not at the same time.

The IFB 200 has been available for quite some time now - you just need to contact your dealer

Yes, it would be nice to have something that could send and receive in parallel, acting like a Zaxnet signal relay.

I wonder why nobody is publicly listing prices on this item. Would it be taboo to call up my local dealer and post the MSRP on the forum to save everyone else on the forum a phone call?

I have an IFB200. It works pretty well. It does have remote control capability, but is not as convenient as control directly from a QRX, especially if your using multiple channels, which is less capable than remote control from something like a Nomad. If Maxx offered Zaxnet and remote roll capability via contact closure (given products on the market today), I GUARANTEE that I would buy it. There, that can only be taken as a positive post, yes?

I was hoping the IFB200 would improve on the IFB100 by leaps and bounds in the end user experience. It would be a great companion for a Nomad owner that, let's say, were interested in a smaller 633 bag set-up but still wanted Zaxnet and doesn't need a stereo hop w/ time code from the bag.

From what you are saying, though, it sounds like it is much more efficient and cheaper to get the IFB option installed on a QRX ($795) as an alternative to an IFB200.

That said, I really want a CL- anybody in the giving mood?!

From what you are saying, though, it sounds like it is much more efficient and cheaper to get the IFB option installed on a QRX ($795) as an alternative to an IFB200.

That said, I really want a CL- anybody in the giving mood?!

I'm keeping my IFB200 for now.  I'm going to use that in my ENG bag for ERX2TCD use and to allow backup recording of the mix buss.  For my QRX setup, I'm going to get an RF amp and antenna, to increase range, as the range is a bit short once you try to cover some distance or have to penetrate some walls.

FWIW I use an IFB100 in my bag and on my cart with a 788T. It works quite well, I use it for TC and scratch to cam and as a Comtek replacement. Once everything's setup, I only touch it to start recording on the transmitters, only rarely do I change levels in the middle of things, as that is a bit fiddly on that thing. I don't care what Zax put into their recorders, but I do like that they at least provide options to get Zaxnet without a dedicated recorder, too. Really, adding an IFBx00 to a bag or cart is not a big deal

• 6 years later...
On 6/24/2013 at 10:31 AM, Mark O'Russa said:

In the IFB Extended Menu of the QRX there is a menu called Zaxnet Output. This menu switches on or off the embedding of ZaxNet commands in the user bits of the timecode.

I made a QRX menu flowchart that makes it easier to navigate through the menus: http://www.zaxcom.com/forum/showthread.php?16978-QRX-connector-pinouts-and-cable-wiring-diagrams

Mark O.

July 2020, and still helpful. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

This thread reminds me of a few things. I miss Senator Mike for his ability to point out the obvious in ways no one else could. I hope he is ok.  It also reminds me of how good the trx900cl is. After 7 years there is no other stereo link that compares . Two channels of audio and time code transmission , backup recording, 16 kHz audio bandwidth (high fidelity In today’s world). Thanks to all of our customers who embraced this technology and have made it your link of choice 

On 9/28/2020 at 3:34 PM, glenn said:

This thread reminds me of a few things. I miss Senator Mike for his ability to point out the obvious in ways no one else could. I hope he is ok.  It also reminds me of how good the trx900cl is. After 7 years there is no other stereo link that compares . Two channels of audio and time code transmission , backup recording, 16 kHz audio bandwidth (high fidelity In today’s world). Thanks to all of our customers who embraced this technology and have made it your link of choice 

Any updates for a camera link release in the 941 block?  I'd heard it was in FCC approval purgatory about a year ago.

I would love to update my now defunct BLK 26 camera link, to something other than the overcrowded UHF band it is currently offered in.