So I've talked with several pros in the industry and they've all told me the same thing, film school is a waste, go learn from experience. So hey, that's what I've been doing. I am at a point thought where the experience I am getting isn't what I need so I'm looking to apprentice with one, or three, mixers so I can learn and get more hands-on experience with someone who knows what they're doing.

So, a little about me.
My name is Amanda. In only a little over a year I have worked over 25 productions. I love working in film and take pride in doing it well. Every job is different but I can quickly adapt to provide an excellent quality product every time no matter what job I am doing.

I am a hard worker, very passionate about working in the industry, and I learn quickly. I have a positive attitude and an inquisitive nature. I have 8 years experience between both Theatre and Film.

I have worked Sound, Art Department, Production Assistant, Grip and even a little camera work. My real passion is for Sound though. Everything I know I have learned with hands-on experience and several instruction manuals. The first time I saw and touched sound gear for film it was handed to me in 2 cases and I was told to have it up and running in 30 minutes. Needless to say after much fumbling with buttons and menus and re-working of plugs I got it and things went from there.

I have a basic understanding of sound for film but I want to learn more and I think working with a professional will help greatly. I'm not totally green so you wouldn't be taking on someone with no idea what they're doing or even which end of a boom pole the microphone goes on. My resume is attached.

Thank you for your time.

ALisano_Resume_3-15.doc

Welcome to the forum, Amanda.

You're in the right place to learn.  A positive attitude is number one in my book.  Also, someone who knows how to listen more than talk. 

I'm not one who says that film school is a waste, just like I don't say that a university degree is a waste.  The key with either is knowing what you will and won't get out of the experience, and being prepared to do just that.  I think most potential students haven't a clue what colleges in general will do for them, and therefore, are frequently disappointed by not being highly sought after, or even employable, right out of school. 

Be that as it may, opening your ears and your mind, and closing your mouth, is probably the quickest route to the basic knowledge and skills needed as a professional sound person.  Learn to listen, not just to someone helping you, but to the sounds you're recording, both those you want and those you don't.  Learn everything you can about acoustics and gain structuring, then feel free to expand that knowledge with questions here on the forum. 

So I've talked with several pros in the industry and they've all told me the same thing, film school is a waste, go learn from experience.

+1

I did go to college - though not for production and all my training and experience was done on the job making little money at a production house.

Welcome to the family Amanda!

I wouldn't call film school a waste, had it not been for my education, I wouldn't be here, at least not yet.

It is very expensive, but for me, it was well worth it, thanks to my years spent I have a great reputation among peers, learned very important life lessons and made fantastic friends where I shared wonderful experiences, and about to share more up in the mountains of Ojai this weekend.

Wishing you the best, us young folk need to stick together, and elders.

Reading everything here will help you a lot and picking up a book from jay rose will help you too. Beside that it s all experience, contacts and having a good attitude. following a sound mentor is crucial for gaining experience on the field. Pick up the phone and call your local established mixers they might take you under their wings. Cheers!

Hello Amanda.

I agree with all that Mr Blankenship posted. College and film school have their place for many but certainly not all. It is brave to put yourself out there and state what you want even if the chance of being an apprentice to a pro is low. LA is a big market and therefore it has opportunities for those who are willing to "break rocks in the hot sun". Networking and knowing your peers is a must. I wish you luck.

CrewC

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome Amanda!

Film school isn't a waste.  If anything, you will learn something new on every student film production.  You will make mistakes but you also have the ability to correct them and gain experience, all of which will lead to the most important lesson of all.  Learning "ON SET ETIQUETTE".

Sound is where I got my start in college (film school) due to the fact that no one wanted to be the boom operator.  For some reason, everyone hated that job.  But after doing 1 student production, everyone seemed to want to have me on since I was willing to do the job.

Film School is a place to make mistakes and learn from experience.  You're SOUND education will continue even after Film School.  Every Sound Mixer I have worked with on set has taught me something new.  The most important way to get on a person's radar is always maintaining professionalism  ;D .

Sound is where I got my start in college (film school) due to the fact that no one wanted to be the boom operator.  For some reason, everyone hated that job.  But after doing 1 student production, everyone seemed to want to have me on since I was willing to do the job.

Thanks. xD Glad to be here.

I have had the great fortune to start, for the most part, doing sound with a class of students. One of the classes at NYFA last year needed a sound person and I answered their call. None of them actually knew how to run everything, they were all "DIRECTORS", so they handed me two cases and said "good luck". After the first film everyone I worked with on that project asked me to work on theirs too so I ended up spending 3 months doing student projects and learning quite a bit.

I've also done no/micro-budget films and I think I have hit the limits on what I can learn from them. I'm just looking for help getting the rest of the etiquette and filling in the gaps in what I know.

I've been doing sound sporadically for about 6 years now. I started in High school running the board for theatre and I absolutly LOVE the work. I tried the college route, hated it (I'm still paying off that blunder) and I'm really trying to avoid school. I believe this isn't something you learn from a textbook. You have to go out there and do it and experience it to get it and to get the most from it. I don't want to be stuck in the same situtation of going to school and "learning" all the other stuff I have no interest in. Figure I'll give it more time, see what I can do, and film school will be a last resort.

" the most important lesson of all.  Learning "ON SET ETIQUETTE". "

while I agree that set etiquette is hugely important,  unfortunately, most lo-budget, and many student shoots only reinforce bad habits..

I have to agree with the Senator on this one, but those little films a great way to cut your teeth. Film school is not for everyone, but I feel an apprenticeship can be tough to come by. What we do is niche, and, assuming a young gun lives in a market with an abundance of work, some mixers just do not want to take on an apprentice.

Here, in Chicago, there are not a lot of apprentice oppertunities. Film school allowed me access to the latest location sound gear, classes taught by seasoned, working professionals, and I met the people I would be working with for the rest of my career. My first few years out of school were just me, my Sennheiser wireless and my trusty 442, and I had to figure out the business as I went. School was the foundation, and I built on it from there.

Being in LA, you do have a better chance of finding a good mixer who is looking for an apprentice, so go for it! You sound like you would make a great apprentice, and you are in the right town to be one!

Amanda, Hi,

You're also going to have to keep reminding people that you are here and available to work. Example if I had something big enough right now then maybe I would have invited you to shadow me for a couple of days. At the moment it seems I'm mostly on one man docs and reality and am not on the type of show where I am able to bring someone on, but  In a couple of months time who knows. However  the honest truth is that in a couple of months time if I do find myself on a show where I could have a trainee I am most likely to have forgotten that you are out there ready and willing. It's nothing personal, the movie business is such a transient line of work and people come and go all the time and so it is very easy to fall out of the loop. 

Martin brings up a great point. I'm guilty of forgetting to respond to people that message me about visiting set and the like. I've also been on the other side where my messages go unresponded to. It's nothing personal of course, because when busy it's easy to forget about one email out of the 15 you may get in a day when coordinating work.