Cases for Zaxcom ERX

JonG

Ok...here's a question. 

We are seriously considering an ERX case to add to our new bag line. What I'm seeing here is people wanting to spend very little for something that works ok. Now, if we make something, it won't be super cheap like the things linked here, but they will be made for the ERX. Are you guys going to be willing to spend some extra cash on something actually designed for the ERX, or are you willing to use the cheap stuff because it's cheap? OR..are you just using the cheap stuff because that's all that's available to you? 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok...here's a question.

We are seriously considering an ERX case to add to our new bag line. What I'm seeing here is people wanting to spend very little for something that works ok. Now, if we make something, it won't be super cheap like the things linked here, but they will be made for the ERX. Are you guys going to be willing to spend some extra cash on something actually designed for the ERX, or are you willing to use the cheap stuff because it's cheap? OR..are you just using the cheap stuff because that's all that's available to you?

I personally would have no problem at all paying a higher price for something made for ERXs. I just haven't found anything yet that works very well. For my purposes it would be for handing out ERXs in place of Comteks. The goal for me would be protection from drops and being left lying around as careless folks often do, but with a belt clip option and not overly bulky. I'd happily pay $25-35 a case for something like that. No idea if you can have a case made that affordably and still maintain a profit margin, but if it was really well done I would even go higher.

Not a simple answer to this one. In my case (whoops, pun), I'm using ERXs as camera hops and have found some cases for $4 that I've easily modified to work great for that.

However...!

If I were using ERXs in place of Comteks, my money would go to whatever served to protect the units from the incessant dropping and mishandling they would encounter under those circumstances. It would then be nice if those cases would facilitate mounting on cameras, but that wouldn't be the most important thing.

IMO, the key to a successful ERX case is protecting the unit while still allowing it full usefulness. If it did that well, it would be worth some bucks.

Couldn't imagine not using the leather cases on my R1a's. I payed around $750 for an ERX here in Australia, so I would happily pay a premium price to protect that unit from the uncaring ones. Wait... what sort of premium price are we talking about.

+1 on the ERX cases!

3 for me please! I have just sent one ERX2 back to get the case replaced after a scriptie dropped it and it landed on the battery compartment corner. Gaff tape works for a while ...but really it is crazy that they are not offered with a case considering the cost of the box and the attention other companies pay to real world usage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So many options. The seemingly discontinued bodyglove cases had a window for people that need to see Timecode. Not something everyone needs, but some people do and it's worth sacrificing some padding.

On cameras, I use the KTek cold shoe plate. I found a bunch of shoe (female?) to 1/4" 24 mounts and often cameras have something that works with.

I'd be a buyer for well designed ERX cases. More often than not, I give these to the boom op, utility, director, script sup, or anyone who I deem important to get best sound monitoring possible; or I use them to send scratch track / timecode to camera. So I would definitely like the best protection possible, while trying to maintain it at a relatively affordable price ($25 - 35 as Alex mentioned seems about right). As Johnpaul mentioned, being able to see through the screen for timecode and scene/take info would be useful for the script sup.

Anyone else who wants to hear gets a comtek.

"I'd be a buyer for well designed ERX cases"

So, look into the Body Glove EZ View cases, then BUY one.

Mentioned many times on this site (I know, Search is wonky, so what): Body Glove EZ View Universal Smartphone Case. I have several of these and they are just about perfect for the ERX. Available many places (amazon.com, etc.) varying prices from around $16.00 to $20.00.

post-1-0-41999800-1399389894_thumb.jpg

"I'd be a buyer for well designed ERX cases"

So, look into the Body Glove EZ View cases, then BUY one.

Mentioned many times on this site (I know, Search is wonky, so what): Body Glove EZ View Universal Smartphone Case. I have several of these and they are just about perfect for the ERX. Available many places (amazon.com, etc.) varying prices from around $16.00 to $20.00.

attachicon.gifBody Glove EZ View.jpg

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for sharing. I'm aware of these Body Glove cases, and have in fact searched thoroughly through the forum to find some topics regarding this, including this very same thread and the two below:

Through some of the suggestions, including yours, I did purchase one of these Body Glove cases last year, but like Johnpaul mentions, I haven't been able to find them anymore, and honestly, I think a better solution can be made (but it is what I currently use for my clients).

My comment was towards David Fisk's question regarding K-Tek designing case for ERX, which I'm saying I would be a buyer for.

I've been using these cases from Eddie Bauer.  The fit is a bit snug when you first try it, magnetic door might pop open, but once they stretch in a little after a day or two, they fit perfectly and have never had an ERX unit fall out of a case due to the door popping open.

Obviously this is just for IFB use, as the TC window is completely covered (I haven't really found anyone who uses the TC feature anyways since I mostly run TOD TC).

http://www.amazon.com/Eddie-Bauer-Universal-Wireless-Case/dp/B002BWRK1W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399393168&sr=8-1&keywords=eddie+bauer+case

71dbTG7nw7L._SL1500_.jpg

Not a simple answer to this one. In my case (whoops, pun), I'm using ERXs as camera hops and have found some cases for $4 that I've easily modified to work great for that.

However...!

If I were using ERXs in place of Comteks, my money would go to whatever served to protect the units from the incessant dropping and mishandling they would encounter under those circumstances. It would then be nice if those cases would facilitate mounting on cameras, but that wouldn't be the most important thing.

IMO, the key to a successful ERX case is protecting the unit while still allowing it full usefulness. If it did that well, it would be worth some bucks.

+1!

I am about to buy a few erx's and multipurpose cases are a high priority as soon as i purchase to help protect them and serve multiple uses - hopefully on cams if i can sliglty modify, and also producer/scripty, etc. protection plus a window and options for belt clips, cam mount, etc i would def pay good money for

Ken

It seems that Amazon lists the EZ body glove, but only through Google, not through Amazon's own search. Maybe it is wonky...

Still, I have not found it anywhere in Europe and buying it in the US is a bit of a hassle. Anyway, what's the problem with K-Tek designing a new and better one, Jeff?

I use a belkin ipod classic case. I tried to find it again but there seems to be an updated version on ebay. It's an ok case, I'm not a huge fan of the belt clip but it's very difficult to take it off a belt so it stays very secure. The clip is removable and has a nice little spot for cable strain relief when mounting to cameras. The front flap can also be removed, adds a little extra protection.