PSC NAB New Alexis Mixer

We will be showing a pre-production model of our upcoming Alexis mixer.   This new mixer features 6 inputs, a 4 mix bus output structure, internal NP-1 battery powering, internal power distribution, and a host of other features.   It does not conatin a recorder.  It has been designed to work in tandem with our new RF Multi SR Six Pack.   The mixer also features 4 full size XLR outputs, 4 mini XLR outputs, individual channel outputs and many more.   All full size and mini XLR inputs and outputs are switchable mic or line level.   The Alexis mixer also featues two 10 pin Hirose connectors for use with camera beta snake cables.   Each input channel can be assigned to any of the four mix buses as either pre-fader, off  or post-fader configurations.  In addition, each input's dedicated line out is also pre-fader or post-fader switchable.   Each input also offers a peak reading, multi-colored LED meter for ease of  level setting in the field, variable gain, variable high pass filter and a pre-fade listen switch.  This new Alexis mixer is designed to directly interface with our RF Multi SR Six Pack, thus allowing 6 channels of radio mic receivers to be integrated as a single package without any power or audio cables cluttering up your ENG bag.  A simple flick of a front panel mounted switch changes the mixer's input from the XLR to the radio mic.  All switches are lighted for night time use.  Switch lighting is dimable and can be switched off to conserve power. The Alexis mixer also features a seperate boom headphone feed with its own program selection and private line function.  Please stop by our NAB Booth # C3127 and take a look at our Alexis mixer.  This mixer will be shipping sometime this summer.

Best regards

Ron Meyer

PSC

post-473-0-40070900-1365175583_thumb.jpg

Alexis Mixer

post-473-0-33691300-1365175657_thumb.jpg

Alexis Mixer with SR Six Pack

post-473-0-92692900-1365175732_thumb.jpg

Outputs, Side of Mixer

post-473-0-88335300-1365175805_thumb.jpg

3/4 View

post-473-0-31273600-1365175868_thumb.jpg

Outputs Side Alexis Mixer and SR Six Pack

post-473-0-97560300-1365175921_thumb.jpg

Inputs Side Alexis Mixer and SR Six Pack

post-473-0-25625400-1365175979_thumb.jpg

Inputs, Mixer Only

post-473-0-49942100-1365176014_thumb.jpg

Outputs, Mixer Only

Hi Jeff,

This is mostly for users that operate out of a bag and directly to camera.   We have been building "beta snake" cables for our mixers and all the other brands for over 25 years.   Our beta snake cable bussiness has not dropped off at all since the mixers with recorders have come out.  We know this mixer wil not fullfill everyones needs, but it will be right for some folks.

Ron

I ve been a happy psc alphamix user for a couple of years but i doubt it can compete with nowadays all in one digital tools. Who wants to squeeze six lavs and a boom to two camera channels and who wants to go back to a seperate mixer + recorder in a bag? Certainly not me.

Can they just do a sr rack fit for nomad and one fit for 664?

My .02$

Gotta say psc s kart is pretty cool though

I must confess, the PSC 6-pack with a DIY breakout box to 6 x low profile XLRs into a 664 or straight XLRs into the back of a Nomad would be an amazing solution.

This mixer looks AWESOME, and I'm sure it's beautifully engineered. I just hope Ron still finds customers in the ENG world for this setup. I imagine with the trimming of news crews to not include a sound guy, this could be a winner in that circle.

Ron,

I truly admire the stuff you guys/gals come out and design stuff that's for our industry.

From the actual design, the RF Six Pack connects to the Alexis through the DC-37, or similar, connector?  This provides audio and power pass-through?

How are we able to determine the 4 mix bus levels?  All are outputting at nominal unity?  Any possible way of controlling these mix buses through a master fader knob?

See you at the booth.

a.

With all due respect to Zaxcom and Sound Devices, if I had a job that required me to send independent mixes that change dynamically to two cameras, this would be my mixer choice.  As much as I like Zaxcom in general, unfortunately I will never buy a mixer that does not have mechanical pan switches and a mechanical PFL feature.  As intuitive as the 664 routing menu / screen is, it is trumped by the simple interface that the Alexis offers with individual 1234 routing switches.  I like the heavy use of the illuminated NKK toggles - very nice.  Great job Ron.

With all due respect to Zaxcom and Sound Devices, if I had a job that required me to send independent mixes that change dynamically to two cameras, this would be my mixer choice. As much as I like Zaxcom in general, unfortunately I will never buy a mixer that does not have mechanical pan switches and a mechanical PFL feature. As intuitive as the 664 routing menu / screen is, it is trumped by the simple interface that the Alexis offers with individual 1234 routing switches. I like the heavy use of the illuminated NKK toggles - very nice. Great job Ron.

I think you have a point there tom. I just got confirmed 40 days of work on a project where they don t want to do double system for cost reasons and i have to go straight to camera. Having a dedicated analog tool to do so could be very efficient after all. I take back what i say about not being current enough. It s a nice and very practical piece of design. Let s see how much it will cost, how heavy it will be and if it will be less noisy than the alphamix. ( i remember that anytime my pot would go over 2oclock that would create an ample qty of white noise ).

The post production cost of double system forces us to go straight to camera too often for my taste.. Oh well..

Very well-thought out. The layout looks very clean and logical, and I have to say, the mechanical switches are extremely straightforward. I can see certain applications where this would be a killer product. In looking over all the input/output jacks, I started thinking, "oh, it looks like they forgot..." and then I'd find it! The power distribution out of the mixer was a big surprise.

I have to say I'm really impressed with this product. As Tom points out, it's nice to see an "old-school" approach to the way we work. I tend to get blinded by technology and sort of forget the simple and straight forward ways of these kinds of mixers. Working on ENG shoots, this will be more than sufficient, and coupled with a recorder on a cart, this is going to be awesome. I'm curious about price though, of course. 

Great work!