This may amuse you...

James Arnold

Me and some colleagues shot this short in a day for the princely sum of nothingwhatsoever. I think it's pretty funny. I'm fairly pleased with the sound, which was recorded under some very trying circumstances featuring a pneumatic drill, a street sweeping van and seemingly half the worlds traffic.

Take a gander!

https://vimeo.com/63076775

CAUTION : Not for the easily offended. Contains SWEARS.

Nice job, picture and sound. 

I might've considered a bit more ambiance in the mart, but that's a creative choice.  The mix, as it is, stays on the lean side in order to maintain more intimacy between the two main characters, and I don't disagree with that as a valid choice.  The chemistry between the actors worked and that's what makes a character piece like this.

Hmm what wireless are you using? Just curious. Sounds like Lectros though...maybe 200 would be my guess (but don't take my "expert" opinion on that; I mean I'm not sure if I've even heard 400 or not). And kinda sounds like COS-11s to me. 

Also you should tell the post audio guys to try using a declicker. Like Izotope or Waves' declickers. There was a bunch of clicking that could have been easily fixed. Also decracklers. 

Sawrab

Good fun.  Oddly, I enjoyed the balcony scene quite a bit.  The only thing that took me out were the long black transitions.

I listened on iMac speakers, but it looked pretty boomable to me, and no clothing noise.  But an absence of ambient noise makes me think otherwise.

Either way, clean and present dialog.  Shot well too.  Love the style.

Robert

Good fun.  Oddly, I enjoyed the balcony scene quite a bit.  The only thing that took me out were the long black transitions.

I listened on iMac speakers, but it looked pretty boomable to me, and no clothing noise.  But an absence of ambient noise makes me think otherwise.

Either way, clean and present dialog.  Shot well too.  Love the style.

Robert

Yeah it does look boomable. I was listening on headphones. Don't have speakers here actually.... 

Sawrab

That is one awesome little movie and you should be really proud of it. Great script, great acting, great camera and sound. I was laughing all the way through and the line near the beginning, "Sorry sir, is that C**t with a "C"? made me laugh so hard my wife asked if I was okay. It's something that could be expanded into a full length film if you sell it correctly (ref: Kevin Smith and Clerks). Kudos to all involved.

("Oop north" is probably the last place where people actually form collectives...)

Thank you folks! It's much appreciated. Our crew will be very gratified.

It's our director Ruperts second ever film - he's best known as an actor in UK soap 'Coronation Street'. Andonis our DOP also regularly treads the boards. They can both be seen cameoing as the gangsters in the car ; Andonis frankly terrifying in his 'Darth Anthony' get up. And of course Rupert also appears as The Robber.

We shot it in 12 hours one Sunday. In fact it was scheduled for 16 hours, which I'm sure Kerri our producer would delight in telling you I had a hissy fit over, but was so well organised that we wrapped four hours early!

Technically there's not much to relate - it was a very spit and sawdust shoot relying upon real locations and borrowed props. Shot on a 7D with the ubiquitous Zacuto style bits and pieces. No monitors, no directors IFB (Christopher Nolan would be proud) and synced with an old school clapper board. Very minimal lighting. I think our largest set up was two 300s and a very small battery powered LED ring light.

I'm pretty sure the decision to shoot black and white was only partially asthetic - it allows you to ignore such things as the changing colour temperature of ambient light and white balance which makes for speedy shooting. The only shame of it is that you can't see the pink nose on the rabbit mask!

Soundwise I recorded it on my Nomad, and yes you are correct in that it was boomed 90% of the time - an MKH50 : my weapon of choice. I did use lavs in three scenes (you'll have to guess which - it's not too hard!) which were Audio Ltd 2020's with Sanken Cos11.

Actually to be accurate, one Sanken, one Sony ECM88, as the other Sanken I had with me was playing up.

The audio is pretty much my production tracks, although our editor might have done a little sweetening during the cut. It was basically a bedroom edit, so no real option for using expensive plug-ins like Izotope AFAIK. The first scene of the film was beset with noise problems as a whole roadbuilding crew showed up, followed by the local grocery store delivery. Russ seems to have saved that with some judicious editing!

I am concerned that the sound is a little bass heavy due to how close I kept the 50. I was determined to get the nuances of the actors performances without the uncontrollable background sounds of a live location, but I might have overdone it a bit on occasion. I can't decide.

The great thing here is that it highlights the importance of a good script and good actors. And good FUN.

Thanks!

James

Soundwise I recorded it on my Nomad, and yes you are correct in that it was boomed 90% of the time - an MKH50 : my weapon of choice. I did use lavs in three scenes (you'll have to guess which - it's not too hard!) which were Audio Ltd 2020's with Sanken Cos11.

Actually to be accurate, one Sanken, one Sony ECM88, as the other Sanken I had with me was playing up.

The audio is pretty much my production tracks, although our editor might have done a little sweetening during the cut. It was basically a bedroom edit, so no real option for using expensive plug-ins like Izotope AFAIK. The first scene of the film was beset with noise problems as a whole roadbuilding crew showed up, followed by the local grocery store delivery. Russ seems to have saved that with some judicious editing!

Sounds great! And the wireless does sound better than 200s, or at least I think. 

Yes, it's a touch bass heavy with the 50, but actually, that adds to the intimacy of the leads that I mentioned earlier.

In other words, it works.

Besides, that's a super-easy thing to deal with in post, if needed.

What he said. 

Sawrab