Shotgun pairing with MKH 50

saadasound

I have a 416 already, which is great, but I wanted to get something to match the warmth of the 50 a little more.

Hmmm... If you're not finding your 416 warm enough, then have it checked out, or try a different booming technique with it.  It's a pretty warm mic.

I'm the only guy who likes the MKH60! But I don't use it at the same time I do the 50. I usually reach for the 60 (or even the seldom-used 70) outdoors, and the 50 or the 40 indoors. 

I often keep the 416 and sometimes the 816 on the truck as backups, but they haven't come out much in the last few years.

" I wanted to keep my options open. "

OMG...

too bad we never have discussed this...

once you buy one, your options remain open:  you can buy something else later, and even sell what you started with... heck in this case you could even sell your 50 and go Schoeps.

you have, and will continue to have lots of options...

as to which short shotgun you choose,

or which options you exercise,

that will be your personal, and frankly subjective choice.

call me jaded, but the various candidates are continually discussed here, and barring a major new product introduction, not mich has changed in the last 2 years since Steve has been around here regularly.....

BTW, "cuts well with..."

As I recently typed, and as a practical matter, very few folks will even be able to tell the difference

" I wanted to keep my options open. "

OMG...

too bad we never have discussed this...

once you buy one, your options remain open:  you can buy something else later, and even sell what you started with... heck in this case you could even sell your 50 and go Schoeps.

you have, and will continue to have lots of options...

as to which short shotgun you choose,

or which options you exercise,

that will be your personal, and frankly subjective choice.

call me jaded, but the various candidates are continually discussed here, and barring a major new product introduction, not mich has changed in the last 2 years since Steve has been around here regularly.....

BTW, "cuts well with..."

As I recently typed, and as a practical matter, very few folks will even be able to tell the difference

+1 Haha... Senator, you ARE jaded! =D

I'm thinking of revisiting the MKH 50 as an indoor mic. We often need an elbow in tight situations. Is the 8050 with elbow a good match to the MkH 50? Specs look similar.

I've tried both together as a test. The 8050 is a little more bass prone and the hp filter does not sound the same as the one in the MKH 50. OTOH with a little judicious HP adjustment on your mixer, you can get them close enough for government work or rock & roll.

Eric

As you have two Sennheiser Mics that are quite in the same direction (presence boost) - why not get something a bit different. I'd take a CMIT cause its more gentle for example for sharp female voices.

Its expensive -  but maybe you will use it more often than you think right now cause its so nice. 

BTW: A Neuman KMR81 is to my ears totally different to an MKH 50. Much softer highs, more gentle dynamics.   

Just for the fun of it, I would like to suggest the DPA 4017B. It's capable of handling very high SPLs, much more so than almost any mic I've heard. I don't know how well it cuts with the MKH50, to be honest, but it is pretty warm mic. At least what I consider to be warm. But I wouldn't call a 416 warm. The big advantage of the 4017 is that it cuts very well with the DPA lavs, especially the 4061, in my opinion. Arguably, matching mics within a scene is far more important than matching indoor/outdoor mics

• 7 months later...