Use a single 9V in your slate!

iMix

Hey all,

Just wanted to share what my sound utility showed me today, a brilliant way to save 24 AA batteries per week, and thats just for two slates.  I had him cut down the AA battery sled for my TS-3 slate in order to act as a wedge to hold a single rechargeable 9V in the battery compartment.  A charged 9V reads 8.4 and holds all day (13 hour day today).  Thought I would share this info in case its new to your ears, as it was new to mine...

Michael B. Koff, CAS

What kind of slate are you using?

He said TS-3 in the post. =)

Hey all,

Just wanted to share what my sound utility showed me today, a brilliant way to save 24 AA batteries per week, and thats just for two slates.  I had him cut down the AA battery sled for my TS-3 slate in order to act as a wedge to hold a single rechargeable 9V in the battery compartment.  A charged 9V reads 8.4 and holds all day (13 hour day today).  Thought I would share this info in case its new to your ears, as it was new to mine...

Michael B. Koff, CAS

Does this only work with rechargeable 9V's?

Been doing it for years.  Posted about it here before.

And I really hope you weren't using disposable AA batteries in your slates this whole time ;-)

BTW, I'd recommend swapping 9v when rejamming at lunch.  It can run out on a long day on 'high', as well as on a long day on 'low' if you have the back-light activated, as well as if you have one of those ACs who eagerly holds it open almost every moment of the day just waiting to stick it in front of camera.

6xAA = 9v

Runtime will be less than with iPower, I would imagine.  But why would you use disposable 9v instead of iPower or rechargeable AA?  It's crazy people are still throwing away so many batteries!!

I agree. I'm on all rechargeables now.

Silly question. Why don't slates run on 9v's then?

6xAA = 9v

Runtime will be less than with iPower, I would imagine. But why would you use disposable 9v instead of iPower or rechargeable AA? It's crazy people are still throwing away so many batteries!!

I agree. I'm on all rechargeables now.

Silly question. Why don't slates run on 9v's then?

Run time. With pretty crappy and old AA rechargeable batteries you can easily go two days on a Denecke slate. Sometimes more. I am almost interested in this 9volt idea for short days because I hate how the batteries get stuck in the battery sled. I once snapped one in half in a Pennsylvania winter. Thankfully Denecke sends spares, and I was in the habit of keeping one loaded with fresh batteries in the cart. Another reason to run lower capacity AA batteries is that they are physically smaller and are easier to get in and out of the sled. I keep those batteries for things like a slate, sync box etc that will run days on a set of batteries and save the high capacity ones for transmitters.

For people that didn't have their coffee yet, AA batteries are 1.5 volts. 6 x 1.5 = 9

Johnpaul,

Check with Denecke on your slate's SN.  If it's older, tt may not have the upgraded battery bay, which accommodates the slightly larger rechargeable batteries, as do their new sleds.  Or continue as you are with the Eneloops, or other smaller rechargeables.  I find them more reliable anyway.

Robert

Hi Guys,

Quick note about regular alkaline and lithium batteries and the environment. They are totally non-toxic.  Basically they are fertilizer and can be disposed of in regular landfills or buried in your tomato garden.  Rechagrable batteries are made of heavy metals, are very toxic and can only be disposed of legally through a certified recycler.  Most towns long ago stopped recycling regular batteries.  My town used to have a recycle box at the library and town hall but they gave it up. 

Billy

I have a lot of sleds. Some cut down.

Billy,

While you can dispose of Alkalines in the trash, and they are non-toxic, they are not basically fertilizer. Rechargeable batteries can be and are recycled. The energy and materials required to manufacture rechargeable batteries, and the waste they produce, is FAR less than the energy required to produce the equivalent number of alkaline batteries they replace, and the associated quantity of un-recyclable waste product. And lithium batteries are toxic, unless you are diligent about running them down until dead before you throw them away.

It's just silly to think disposable batteries are better. It's like the whole "I can't put CLFs in my house. There's a minute chance that I can be exposed to a minute amount of mercury on the minute chance I break one. So instead, I'll use 10 times the energy, and definitely expose myself and everyone else to increased pollution from the power plants supplying my home with power."

Jumping off soap box now.

Robert

This is getting a bit out of hand.  Was just sharing what I learned, not re-inventing how batteries are made.  Adriano-you don't have to destroy your sled...you can use a piece of wood or whatever you like...it just acts as a wedge to hold the 9V down at the end of the tray.

...It's like the whole "I can't put CLFs in my house. There's a minute chance that I can be exposed to a minute amount of mercury on the minute chance I break one.

In theory (according to law) if a compact fluorescent lamp (that's CFL) breaks in your house you're supposed to call in a haz-mat team to clean up the mercury spill. Now for those of us in a generation that played with liquid mercury (when we could get it) because it looked so cool, this might sound extreme but it might explain a lot of the bad decisions made in the last twenty years or so...

In theory (according to law) if a compact fluorescent lamp (that's CFL) breaks in your house you're supposed to call in a haz-mat team to clean up the mercury spill. Now for those of us in a generation that played with liquid mercury (when we could get it) because it looked so cool, this might sound extreme but it might explain a lot of the bad decisions made in the last twenty years or so...

Yes - it's a miracle we're all still alive.  Bikes without helmets, backs of station wagons without seat belts, not to mention the smoking, lead paint, and asbestos!!

I'm going off on a tangent!  Must be the Mad Cow's Disease.

...It's like the whole "I can't put CLFs in my house. There's a minute chance that I can be exposed to a minute amount of mercury on the minute chance I break one.

That's a myth actually. http://http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cfl.asp

I heard something on NPR once that even if you broke a lot of your CFLs, the amount of mercury released into the air would still be less than the is released out of the smokestacks of the coal-fire plant that would power the incandescent version of the bulb. That is, if you live in most parts of America, where most of our electricity is still from coal.

so... if anyone want to post a pic as to what this actually looks like that would be great !!! Battery in sled 

It's just a matter of popping a 9v battery into the battery compartment, observing polarity of course, and then using a trimmed down battery sled, block of wood, etc. to press against the battery a proper amount to maintain good contact.  The modified sled is just a shim, or ram, or whatever you'd like to call it, that presses the battery against the contacts, held in by the closed door.

so... if anyone want to post a pic as to what this actually looks like that would be great !!! Battery in sled

9v battery doesn't go in the sled. You just line up a 9v next to the sled, mark how long it is, then cut off the end of the sled. The sled now just holds the battery in place. As others have mentioned, you can use a bit of wood too.

Robert

9v battery doesn't go in the sled. You just line up a 9v next to the sled, mark how long it is, then cut off the end of the sled. The sled now just holds the battery in place. As others have mentioned, you can use a bit of wood too.

Robert

AHHH .... all is clear  !!!

Got it !!

Thanks Robert

Neal