SD 664 users--how do you use your X1-2 tracks/busses?

Philip Perkins

I was looking at the 664 docs today and checking out the aux (X) feeds.  I can see how you can add or subtract inputs from those busses, but I didn't see a way to control the level of each feed going to those busses, like an Aux send on a console.  Is there a way to do this?   I understand that the level being fed to the X busses is post fader (in chans 2-5), but I mean a way to have a separate mix with diff levels than what are being sent to the master L/R?  How are 664 drivers here using those busses?

thanks

philp

I'm not coming up in my head a way to do what you're asking without affecting the L/R master.  You have pre/post fade options of your inputs to the x1/x2, but no way of mixing those levels without affecting L/R master.  I could be missing something however.

I'm not coming up in my head a way to do what you're asking without affecting the L/R master.  You have pre/post fade options of your inputs to the x1/x2, but no way of mixing those levels without affecting L/R master.  I could be missing something however.

That's how it seems to me too--ie it seems like your only X track option separate from the channel level going to L/R is "on/off".   It would be very cool if there WAS a page somewhere that tweaked the Xtrack input levels.....then it would be like a real aux send.

philp

I use my X1 output for my Lectro IFB send and my X2 output for Comteck send. Right now the only way to control the X Levels is either with faders/gain if I have it set post/pre fader. I could also change the gain on the IFB/Com transmitter but I think that misses the point of what you want to do. I know the 442 has the master level output fader but I don't think 664 has this option. Philip, out of curiosity why do you want to be able to change the Output levels of the X tracks? Safety Tracks?

Actually you do have output level control on the 664 by using the select knob and rotating it to the desired buss, clicking that knob in and then rotating the level to where you want it.  You'll see the level adjustment values where the HP preset name and values are.  This works for Master L/R and both Aux's.

Actually you do have output level control on the 664 by using the select knob and rotating it to the desired buss, clicking that knob in and then rotating the level to where you want it.  You'll see the level adjustment values where the HP preset name and values are.  This works for Master L/R and both Aux's.

That's output level for the whole bus, which is cool.  I'm talking about level control for the tracks FEEDING the bus, per track or channel, the way you can set up an aux mix on a mixer.  My interest in this is to be able to do just that, a different mix, with different level relationships between the channels than what is on the L/R bus, some channels in the main mix not there and others not in the main mix present, which is how I use the auxes on my mixers.  It would be cool if SD could add a page that did this.  If this isn't possible maybe they could do it within the AES busses, if they have the DSP available.

philp

Philip, out of curiosity why do you want to be able to change the Output levels of the X tracks? Safety Tracks?

I can only think of two scenarios that would require this feature (based on my recent work) Firstly, when feeding two cameras that are cross shooting a scene and you want two different mixes (based on talent on screen). However I would argue you need a second recordist not a separate mix feature (which you won't be monitoring all the time)

Secondly, an in-ear feed for a member of talent when working on a musical production BUT in this scenario I'd be using a mixing desk rather than a location mixer.

However, if such a feature existed I'm sure we'd all find a use for it at some point!