Pro Tools 11

Tom Visser

PT11 no longer supports CPT.  if you have it now with 10 and upgrade to 11, you are back to stereo and no AAF/OMF functions.  

I just talked to my Sweetwater rep and they have a dedicated AVID guy who works with them.  Word on the street is, if you have 10 and the CPT (as I do), then they will offer you an upgrade to 11HD for the standard upgrade price (still to be determined).

That said, my convolution reverb (Altiverb), all my Vienna Strings Library, and other plugins that I need for film stuff won't be useful for quite some time.  It seems like AVID is pushing this one out the door without any regard to their customer's needs AGAIN.   Is this the fateful release party that will cripple AVID's stronghold on the post market? 

I guess that AVID is aware that many people won't be able to use their favorite RTAS plugins.  As such AVID is allowing both 10 and 11 to be able to run on the same system until such time as they are able to get all developers on board to support porting to AAX.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so,

I have eleven rack plugin.  I use it every day.

I just looked up to see if the AAX was available yet

it is, and it will cost me $600 to have it.

IF THATS NOT SOME BS I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS

Do you only have the Eleven LE authorisation? If you had/have a Eleven Full authorisation, the update to AAX will work.

so,

I have eleven rack plugin.  I use it every day.

I just looked up to see if the AAX was available yet

it is, and it will cost me $600 to have it.

IF THATS NOT SOME BS I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS

Then don't upgrade to 11 until they release an LE version.

Pretty simple.

they aren't going to release one is what I'm told.  I don't have the full version.  I have the LE version.

So, to buy a brand new licence for an AAX version of Eleven plugin (that will work across the board - AAX DSP, AAX Native, TDM HD Accel, RTAS and Audiosuite) is $499.

Where'd you get $600 as an upgrade price from?

Avid.  It's close to 600 with tax

So what your saying is I should pay 500 so I can use something I already bought.

Brilliant.

No, I'm not saying it's a solution, I just said you got the number wrong.

I think it's crap -  at the moment -  SmackLE, VocalignLE users are in the same bind. Maybe they'll code an AAX LE version, maybe they'll let LE licences unlock AAX versions in the future. The software isn't available yet, I guess we just have to wait and see, and deal with it when all is certain.

In my situation, my 2008 Mac Pro isn't allowed to run PT11 at all, although I dare say it's more than capable. And I'd have to trade in my 003 from my home system and pay to move to HD.

AND I have the CPTK which is going to shaft me too. It's a mess, but I'll deal with it when I have to. For now, PT10 works great.

Avid.  It's close to 600 with tax

So what your saying is I should pay 500 so I can use something I already bought.

Brilliant.

Or you can just skip PT 11 and save your money for in half a year, when PT 12 comes out, as there will be yet another format for the plugins that you'll have to buy an upgrade for. Money saved!  ;)

Or you can just skip PT 11 and save your money for in half a year, when PT 12 comes out, as there will be yet another format for the plugins that you'll have to buy an upgrade for. Money saved! ;)

I don't know, I mean we lived with the RTAS format for a pretty long time. So now it's a new format. Sure, it's a hard cut, but if it's a technical advancement. Besides, everyone keeps saying that Avid's in dire straits, yet they come out with a completely new format. That doesn't sound like a company that expects to pull the plug anytime soon.

I don't much like the financial aspect either, but if my favourite radio mic manufacturer comes out with a brand new system, I'll be faced by the same question: buy new or live with what I've already got

• 1 month later...

Let me chime in here and say that while protools DOES have the majority market share, it ISN'T by that much.

It does in post.

And also everywhere else.

I actually went to an Avid product demo yesterday. PT11 had a number of great features, not least of which is COMPLETELY REVAMPED WORKSPACE. Proper indexing of files, including keeping indexes of drives that aren't attached. Also revamped metering, hot keys, and a bunch of stuff I'd never even considered.

The whining about the complete changeover to AAX - yes it sucks, but it is completely necessary and Avid has given more than fair warning about this change (including telling us at the release of 10 that they will be dropping support of RTAS and TDM).

And for anyone that wants to complain about Avid's policies, please name another DAW manufacturer that offers hardware a trade-in program. And let us not forget that no one is forcing you to upgrade. If your PT10 CPTK rig works now, keep using it.

Protools shares the market with many other daws in the music world.

Moving to a different plugin format is necessary, yes.  Killing the old format is not.

Name another company that recently started supporting everyone else's hardware, except their own.  Lets put it this way, name another DAW manufacturer that has hardware specific to the DAW.

Protools shares the market with many other daws in the music world.

Does it share the market? You mean programmers using Logic? 

Moving to a different plugin format is necessary, yes.  Killing the old format is not.

Considering that the old format was bloated 20-year-old code, it kind of was.

Do I wish that they had just gone AU rather than creating a new proprietary plugin format? Sure, why not.

name another DAW manufacturer that has hardware specific to the DAW.

I'm not sure what difference this makes, but I'll bite.

Fairlight, Pyramix, Sadie, Sonic Solutions, Soundscape, PARIS... They exist(ed). But really your question should be immediately followed by "how many native DAWs can track with plugins and zero latency?" Everything has tradeoffs.

The whining about the complete changeover to AAX - yes it sucks, but it is completely necessary and Avid has given more than fair warning about this change (including telling us at the release of 10 that they will be dropping support of RTAS and TDM).

There's been a lot of screaming and bloodshed about PT11 over on the Gearslutz Forum. The bottom line is that Digi had no choice but to change the entire system architecture in order to make the program 64-bit, and the old plug-ins simply would not work. At least... that's what I was told. 

I don't think the upgrade cost for the plug-ins is a vast fortune. It's not like buying them all over again. And one assumes you could do this over a period of time. Hell, I know of people still using Avids from 2006, and actually cutting TV shows and movies on them. So there's no gun being pointed at people's heads forcing them to upgrade this very instant. 

And for anyone that wants to complain about Avid's policies, please name another DAW manufacturer that offers hardware a trade-in program. And let us not forget that no one is forcing you to upgrade. If your PT10 CPTK rig works now, keep using it.

Sadie.   (And I gotta say that PT10 is pretty fine for me, so I'm waiting to see what shakes out for PT11--no rush, people!  Make money with what you have!)

philp

FWIW Our studio

uses Reaper almost exclusively now. We have PT10 in case someone asks for it specifically, but that doesn't come up too often any more. Reaper just works so much faster and is so much more stable on our system than PT-- not to mention how much plugin support it has (vst, dx, JS, etc)...

AATranslate makes it easy to turn my .rpp sessions into PT sessions if I need to--- no problems working with others.

A friend with a post sound house in Times Square also made the switch recently and hasn't looked back!

I think what avid is doing is the grittiest, meanest and darkest side of capitalism. And it makes me sick. I hope adobe and final cut get their 5hit together to open up the market. And every other software maker of course.

This kind of comment annoys me, sorry. You do realize that "capitalism" is the driving force behind the innovation we all love, correct? Even your own comment negates itself: Adobe and Apple wouldn't get their "5hit together" and offer us a competing product with features we wanted unless they could make money at it. They're not in the business for charity. Do you charge for the work you do? Just curious.

Regarding PT11, I'm looking forward to upgrading my CPTK to 11HD as soon as it's released. Looks like a nice upgrade with new functionality that I can use today.

Chris