Pro Tools 11

Tom Visser

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most powerful digital audio workstation just got more powerful. With an all-new, ultra-efficient audio engine, 64-bit performance, and groundbreaking capabilities, Pro Tools 11 enables you to take on the most complex and demanding music and audio post productions with ease, so you can focus on sounding your best.

• Get exponentially more processing power than Pro Tools 10 using the same hardware
  • Create bigger, more complex sessions, without holding anything back
  • Experience ultra-low latency record monitoring without sacrificing plug-in performance
  • Play and edit a wide range of HD video formats right in the Pro Tools timeline

Turbocharge sessions with the all-new Avid Audio Engine

Get multiple times the processing power of Pro Tools 10 to work with way more virtual instruments and effects plug-ins than ever before. And with the new 64-bit architecture, you gain the performance you need to handle the most sophisticated sessions—with more memory headroom to go even bigger.

Deliver mixes with lightning-fast offline bounce

Forget the wait—speed up your final mix delivery with new faster-than-real-time bounce capabilities.

Have confidence in your mix with new metering options (Pro Tools HD 11 only)

New built-in metering standards provide a variety of scale and ballistics options, so you can be assured that you’re creating the best mix possible.

Work directly with HD video

Play MXF HD, Avid DNxHD, and other HD video formats directly in the Pro Tools timeline, without transcoding, using the built-in Avid Video Engine—the same as in Media Composer.

No more OMF files between Media Composer and Pro Tools?

I'm really liking 10 so I'll probably stick with it for a while, I'm not sure if there is enough incentive to upgrade.  Although, I do have a student version which mentioned free upgrades for I believe 4 years.  I don't know if that means updates or free upgrades to new versions.  I'll have to look into it.

Why not? It doesn't say anything about transferring audio from MC to PT, does it?

If the video project importing to audio project that's so cool.

You don't need to open again the Media Composer to sync the files and export as OMF and import the OMF to PT.

Just one file from MC to PT (not separate OMF and MOV). That's reduce the time up to 60%...

Sorry, I don't get it. Doesn't it only say that you can open certain types of movie now in PT? Where does it mention opening a Media Composer project in PT? Something I'm missing I'm sure

At any rate, offline bounce is a huge time saver already, so I'll definetely upgrade - once the 11.01 is out

In the studio we have PT10 and it works well.  If I'm reading the information correctly, it doesn't look like we'll be interested in migrating to PT11 for two large reasons: 

1) PT11 no longer supports RTAS plugins.  Since we have a large selection of plugins and I don't relish the mission of upgrading them all, then making sure they're all stable, etc., that looks like a non-starter.

2) Of all the things they need to improve, they AGAIN neglected the most critical one:  File Management!  5.25" floppy discs had better file management than Pro Tools does and there's no sign that the diminishing management at Avid understands this glaring need.

A couple of years back, we migrated from SADiE to Pro Tools for the better track depth and plugin availability.  PT9 and 10 has been stellar in those areas (well over a hundred and some tracks and hundreds of plugins on a native machine, along with hi-def video playing).  However, with PT11 our plugins won't work without upgrading and Avid obviously doesn't care about our file management needs, so it looks like we'll either stay on 10 or there may be an Nuendo in our studio's future.

In the studio we have PT10 and it works well.  If I'm reading the information correctly, it doesn't look like we'll be interested in migrating to PT11 for two large reasons: 

1) PT11 no longer supports RTAS plugins.  Since we have a large selection of plugins and I don't relish the mission of upgrading them all, then making sure they're all stable, etc., that looks like a non-starter.

2) Of all the things they need to improve, they AGAIN neglected the most critical one:  File Management!  5.25" floppy discs had better file management than Pro Tools does and there's no sign that the diminishing management at Avid understands this glaring need.

A couple of years back, we migrated from SADiE to Pro Tools for the better track depth and plugin availability.  PT9 and 10 has been stellar in those areas (well over a hundred and some tracks and hundreds of plugins on a native machine, along with hi-def video playing).  However, with PT11 our plugins won't work without upgrading and Avid obviously doesn't care about our file management needs, so it looks like we'll either stay on 10 or there may be an Nuendo in our studio's future.

I spent a lot of time at the avid booth and came away planning on switching daws.

Want to use all the RTAS plugins you bought?

YOU CANT

RTAS is pretty much a PT only plugin format.  Forever manufacturers have been making  this format ONLY to support protools.  Taking it away and forcing a new format is a giant kick in the ass to everybody

Did you spend the 2000 or whatever dollars on Complete production toolkit?

PT11 no longer supports CPT.  if you have it now with 10 and upgrade to 11, you are back to stereo and no AAF/OMF functions.  

The avid rep was cocky enough to tell me that if manufacturers didn't get on board with AAX, they probably wouldn't survive.  

Me response was - "I think you have it backwards.  Ill choose my WAVES and DUENDE plugins well before I choose protools.  Protools is a daw.  It doesn't make anything sound good, it just plays back tracks.  Lots of other programs do that."

I will not be buying PT11 and will be switching to another daw.  Something I recommend others do as well.  3 steps forward, 5 steps back...

RTAS is pretty much a PT only plugin format. Forever manufacturers have been making this format ONLY to support protools. Taking it away and forcing a new format is a giant kick in the ass to everybody

Did you spend the 2000 or whatever dollars on Complete production toolkit?

PT11 no longer supports CPT. if you have it now with 10 and upgrade to 11, you are back to stereo and no AAF/OMF functions. ..

That really all sounds terrible! But maybe the manufacturers of those RTAS plugs might offer a free cross-grade to the new aax format?

So then what to do if you want omf/aaf? Is there some other upgrade option, or do you have to vuy HD?

I think that's it then for PT and me. And after I've waited so long for an offline bounce!