Pro Tools 11

Tom Visser

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except pretty much everything I have done, the director, then the producer and Associate Producers decide where what is done.

The sound designer/editors have little to no say.

And they will pick a facility. And at that point, what the facility uses, is the format that will be used.

And where I am, that's pro-tools.

OK, on the films I do they ask for my input and usually follow it.  I've found facilities to be very accomodating of my requests re format and what I bring them--just lucky I guess!

philp

Eeuw. Waves. Worst sounding plugins there are.

I happily got rid if all the waves plugins in my Dialog/Music mix template.

Good luck switching to anther DAW if you want to be compatible with anybody in major part facllties in the US.

As usual on most things Post, I agree with Mr. Henchman. I guess for those of us making a living at it, paying $900 after 1.5 years doesn't seem so bad after buying some Schoeps...

RTAS had to go. It is sad, but we've all known this for the last year and a half. The 64 bit processing just had to happen. They said it when 10 came out in a very non-Avid way actually. 

And working in Logic or Nuendo in surround is just crazy. Yeah, Avid is a strange company, but is seems that the audio side is actually listening to customers as 9 and 10 opened things up more than any other release. Jesus, clip gain! Can't drag a stereo clip onto two mono tracks, man I do that 90 times a day when mixing a TV show. On Logic you have to buss and re-record.

Waves sucks. Good riddance. Man, people complain about avid in the same post as loving waves? The whole WUP thing, remember? I've been phasing out my waves usage over the last 5 years (stuck with 7) and am ready to leave it on the roadside. I too use the Duende and I'm not sure if SSL is going to make it. The Duende system has been shall we say, cantankerous since its inception. I've been reaching to the Sonnox stuff more and more. I'm still getting some clipping at odd places with the Duende that has me worried.

If you guys are worried about money just use Ardour or Reaper. After messing with Jack for Ardour I gave up. Reaper looks pretty cool though. But hey, I get asked if I use Pro Tools all the time. I've never been asked if I use any other program from people that hire me.

For me know, back to work on my PT 10 CPTK machine with RME hardware that has been an awesome workhorse mixing over 30 television episodes alone last year. Didn't miss a deadline or have any mixes rejected by a network. Much of it was edited and organized on a plane using my laptop.

It's true that you should know Pro Tools. But things are happening, and this little move might just make things move even faster. Some companies will Reap the benefits of this (ah did you see that! The pun?)

Forget about Reaper catching on.

That's like people who have been waiting to be able to live in the middel of nowhere, and get to develop a career in post, because the Internet makes it unimportant where you live. Because its so easy to transfer sessions back and forth.

Btw, fantastic Eq plugins are DMG Audio Equick, Equality and they just released Equilibrium, which Im just about to get for the coming season.

Equick absolutely rocks as a replacement for Q10 notching.

I also use a variety of UAD plugins now. And the soundquality of my dIalog has improved since dropping all waves plugins.

32 bit RTAS COULD have worked with the new 64 bit platform.  It's not a lot of work but it CAN happen without too much effort.

The only reason it doesn't exist in 11 is because avid didn't want it to exist in 11.  Sure, it may be an old format, and it may be clunky, but it still worked and people still own a lot of those plug-ins.  you can move on to the new AND keep the old if you wanted to, which would have been much preferred. Especially as quite a few manufacturers have not jumped on the AAX bandwagon yet. (and many wont)

32 bit RTAS COULD have worked with the new 64 bit platform.  It's not a lot of work but it CAN happen without too much effort.

The only reason it doesn't exist in 11 is because avid didn't want it to exist in 11.  Sure, it may be an old format, and it may be clunky, but it still worked and people still own a lot of those plug-ins.  you can move on to the new AND keep the old if you wanted to, which would have been much preferred. Especially as quite a few manufacturers have not jumped on the AAX bandwagon yet. (and many wont)

So you're an experienced software designer as well?

Some I know some great musicians. Doesn't make me a great musician.

Why would they continue using something you admit is clunky?

because even though it's clunky, you can still use it, especially when it is still your only option when it comes to using products you have grown to love and enjoy working with.

You can mock me all you want, but the fact is that making 32 bit plugins work in a 64 bit environment can be done without a ton of effort.

Most other DAWs I can think of that have gone to 64 bit can do it...

because even though it's clunky, you can still use it, especially when it is still your only option when it comes to using products you have grown to love and enjoy working with.

You can mock me all you want, but the fact is that making 32 bit plugins work in a 64 bit environment can be done without a ton of effort.

For some, clunky isn't acceptable. Some strive for better, not clunky.

And nobody is forcing anyone to upgrade to 11.

Although the CPTK is being discontinued, if you had it, you can upgrade to PT 11 HD and run it on any system, without their hardware.

Also, you can run 10 and 11 on the same system, so if you really need some old plugins you can open in 10 and print the effect to disc.

They were good enough for how many years?  good enough where avid forced RTAS to be the only format used in PT, good enough to still be used when you need it.

They were good enough in their old software.

Now they are moving forward. And leaving the bad behind.

Deal with it.

Is it possible, though, that initiating a 32-bit plugin in a 64-bit ProTools slows down the performance of PT, more than Avid would want?

Ccalandro just wants to complain.

Most developers I've seen havent been charging for AAX updates.

Of course waves charges for everything.

Until the people who write the checks change platforms, I'm sticking with the standard.

Well, I'm going to make my little PT rig v11 as soon as I can--for what I use it for the new stuff, esp metering, is very interesting, and fortunately I didn't ever get around to buying CPTK (though I meant to!) and don't have RTAS plugs except WAVES and they've been kind of fired around here for some time on all my DAWs.   With Apple moving forward so fast with OS changes it may be that Avid caught wind of something coming re new macs and is getting out ahead of it.  I was a little surprised that PT11 followed PT10 so fast, but folks, be glad they are trying, really working on the app still after all this time.   They didn't really have to do this upgrade--as is constantly pointed out they kind of own most of all studio audio biz, music and post anyhow.  Some other DAW makers are very slow and casual about improvements--if I got to choose I'd take paying for new features over not paying and waiting endlessly for things that annoy me every day to be fixed.

philp