DPA - Newish thread - 4060s, 4071, wiring?

RPSharman

I made the move to DPA lavs a couple of years ago for the significant increase in fidelity over the sanken cos11's I had been using. The 4060 omni's were my mic of choice but they ship with microdot adaptors which are large and needed to be rewired with lectro compatible connectors. I found the wiring scheme recommended by lectro and DPA made for a really hot signal but some experimentation with different resistor values in the connector padded it down to a happy medium. Remember that Lectro sm's arent as hot as sma's and different than UM's too. The 4061's are about 10db lower by design and are good for screamers. The supplied hi freq boost cap is handy for ties and thick clothing. They also work great in cars. In the music world, these mics are highly regarded for piano and strings. IMO, they are worth the extra money ($500ish), but it hurts more when they are busted by silly actors..

" the 4071 for mounting on the chest "  &  " some head miking so i purchased some 4060 mics "

different responses for different uses (gee, that's probably why they offer choices)...

thus "it depends" (watch for my  <new-cap>, coming soon...)

personally, I have several of each...

• 2 months later...

The time has come...

Actor busted a COS-11 at the head, so I have $369 toward a new DPA.

Final verdicts? 4061 or 4072 - which resistor value for Lectro SM?

The kind folks at LSC have offered to let me audition them, but "testing" is never really representative of real working experience.

I'm inclined to use 4071, given that I have COS-11s and B6s for other applications. The middle of the chest will be the likely location for this mic. Or perhaps a tie knot?

Thanks,

Robert

Robert

I use the 4071 when hiding the Mic and the 4061 when the Mic will be in the open/hairline etc.

You'll love them.

I've ordered the 4071. Excited to include one in the kit. Hoping to not love it so much that I'll need to spend another $2.5k on 5 more.

I did a blind lav shoot-out at Pro-Sound a few months back. I'm not sure if it was the 71 or 61 they had rigged up, and I'm not arguing all the things we know about volume levels, controlled environments, positioning etc, however after about three to four seconds of speech on each lav (dialog spoken by another person, not me) I blind-picked the DPA above all others without hesitation and was not surprised to find out it was the DPA I had picked.

That's a long way of saying I think you'll love it Robert. Prepare thy checkbook.

Just FYI, I use 4061 and 4060 exclusively. They too work great on the chest.

But!

The Swedish language is full of harsh consonants and other noises, so the 4071 tends to be a bit too harsh to my ears.

They sound less like lavs to me..

I mean the 4060 and 4061 sound less like lavs to me

I auditioned a COS-11 and 4061 and 4071 side by side in a fast and unscientific test. I liked the 4061 too, but I think because it was closer to the COS-11, which I'm used to.

I'm going to try out the 4071 for a while, and see what happens.

Robert

Robert I ended up buying 2 DPA 4071's and fell in love with them! Big shout out to Dan Joseph from Gotham for all the great advice and help!

I was on a commercial gig and broke them out for the first time a while ago...I was blown away! I've used COS-11's, Trams, etc, but the natural sound of a DPA was far more pleasing to my ears :-)

You won't regret your purchase! Well your wallet will ;-) I ended buying 2 more since. Make sure you get plenty of plastic concealers, those are gold and work extremely well

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

One of my DPA 4060 stopped working properly - microphone works - but there signal to noise ratio has changed and now there's dominant noise apparent in the sound , and i get crackling when i touch the cable near a microdot connector. So i think the connector is broken. Now, i'm out of warranty, so i thought that i could rewire the mic to the lemo 6 pin connector for my Micron Explorer system, or even to a minijack to test with a sennheiser g3 first (I don't have a spare lemo lying around). Is it easy to do? I assume that if the mic is good, they will cut off the microdot at the factory anyway. So i thought I could try to rewire it myself. I have the pinout for the lemo, but will it be okay if i rewire it for G3?

Thanks for all the thoughts!

* WARNING! There's a loud thump in recording starting from 0:18. Please turn down your speakers!*

p.s. I recorded the sound i get from the microphone - attached thru a DPA microdot->XLR connector.

DPA_4060_broken.mp3

• 3 weeks later...

I am wondering about the sensitivity that most are using in general with dpa's but 4061 most importantly. I found 4061 wt low sensitivity paired with 400a to be low. (Makes sense) i am wondering if standard or medium is would be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk