Internally coiled vdb?

AustinHunter

I am currently using a 16' externally cabled vdb boompole and it works great, I'm just sick of the added time and effort it takes managing the external cable. My question is, has anyone had any experience working with a similar pole but internally coiled? I don't know if I should go ahead and make the modification or not because every vdb I have used was external. If so how was the handling noise and did you experience a lot of cable jumble from turning the pole? I eventually want to switch to a loon 16' internal coil but I don't have the $ right now. Maybe I should just hold off until I do and have 2 diff poles. Thanks

I have an internally cabled VDB I use for doc work. I have no real frame of reference when it comes to internally coiled poles as it's the only one I've used but it seems fine to me noise wise, within reason obviously. You do have to be a little gentler when swinging the pole if it's fully extended than if it was an external cable as it will slap against the inside of the pole. The pole doesn't seem to collapse fully regardless of what I do with cable though. Only by about an inch so not a huge issue.

The collars on the other hand are a whole other issue. Don't get me started on those damn things.

Thanks guys. Badger I have a similar problem with the collapsing, only about an inch or so. I know that they are a French company and the parts aren't quite as readily avaliable as some of the other companies, so I'm wondering which sound house I should take it to for the service. I guess ill just call around

Thanks guys. Badger I have a similar problem with the collapsing, only about an inch or so. I know that they are a French company and the parts aren't quite as readily avaliable as some of the other companies, so I'm wondering which sound house I should take it to for the service. I guess ill just call around

I had very good luck getting VDB parts from Pro Sound in NYC.

Call and speak to Jason at Pro Sound. 212 586-1033 

I've used a 12' VDB internally cabled for years, and the only problem I've had is the cable where it exits at the top of the pole can get worn. No problems with noise but I've probably tuned my handling to what the pole is capable of without internal slap.I like the fact that the collars can be set to allow pulling out/in without touching them but with sufficient friction to stop the mic in full windshield from twisting, this is a very time saving and useful feature for me, as for example walking through multiple doorways I can extend and collapse the boom at speed on the fly as it were.

I have had an 12 ft internally coiled VDB for years, and love it. It is light, and the finish allows for minimal handling noise. I do however wish I had an older model with the old style locks. The new style locks are cumbersome. I have taken to wearing fingerless gloves to help with that though. All in all, VDB makes a great internally coiled boom pole.

I would caution against putting pole down with XLR connected as the base is XLR threaded into a plastic base and over time this threading can/will wear away and will no longer hold the connection which will slip into the pole leading to severe cable noise. This base connection can be ordered a spare part (€22) from VdB in France.

Other than that very happy with this pole (14', old style collars) the extra weight of the internal cable is a payoff from being able to go from 6' to 12' in a couple of seconds.

Regards

Trev

I used a 9 foot VdB a lot. The newer style pole, it is easy to swap the coiled cable from 3 to 5 pins when needed, but, the opening for the cable in the threaded tip is aluminium and very, very sharp. The opening also is very snug, so it is very easy to cut through the cable if you're not careful when swapping.

I replaced this boom for a Loon Penta, but on occasions I grab the vdB. It collapses to a small easy to pack pole, with it's 6 sections... and it always amazes me how light it is..

Don't get me started about the collars though...

My K-Tek internal cabled Boom pole is one of the best bits of kit I have ever bought. It far exceeded my expectations in performance and ease of use and reliability. I use it for one person work, and I really could not go back to winding a cable back around the outside of a pole and retain my sanity. Don't think about it, go buy one. I've had to re solder the end twice in countless days work (years) and it is a bit tricky, but very possible. I also have a longer non cabled K-Tec pole, but I usually end up putting a radio boom on the end before I will wind the cable around the outside. Mine has a XLR output on the side. You won't go back.

Hi,

I own two vdb and I have switched to internal cable last year.

As everyone said this is quiet, and great to expend/collapse boom rapidly.

However in some application I had to remove the internal cable:

Once I had to run behind the talent with fully extended boom. In that case there is nothing you can do with the internal cable. It is slapping inside the boom.

And when the boom is vertical (yes it happens sometimes) the internal cable is to noisy too.

But it only takes about 30s to remove or install the internal cable once you are familiar with the manipulation.

I recently purchased an internal coiled cable for my vdb 13' pole (old-style collars). Fully extended, there is quite a potential for nasty cable slapping noise, if the pole is not very carefully handled. Hopefully, this won't be a problem during practical booming. But overall, I am enjoying the convenience of the internal cable, so I feel pretty good about my purchase.

Now, having said that, there is another issue regarding that cable that I'd like to add to the mix (so to speak). Upon receiving it, I was surprised to learn that vdb doesn't provide a 90-degree XLR connector at the mic end of their coiled cables. Somehow, I was just expecting it to have one. The straight XLR connector seems to be nice when using a blimp, but not necessarily when plugged directly into the back of a mic as it increases the height profile considerably. Pro Sound, where I purchased it from, has offered to switch out the connector if I'd like. I'm still considering the whole thing.

Anyone have any comments regarding the relative merrits of straight vs 90-degree connectors at the mic-end of a boompole?

" comments regarding the relative merrits of straight vs 90-degree connectors at the mic-end of a boompole? "

pretty obvious, IMHO,  added length, or added radius (inside a blimp)

Hey, studiomprd, please elaborate on "added length, or added radius (inside a blimp)." I guess it's not that obvious to me, IMCS ("in my confused state")