List of References to Recording Dialogue in Cars

Marc Wielage

Somebody over on Gearslutz just asked this question, so I thought I'd put up a list of a half-dozen discussions over the last few years on this subject...

Some discussions on different techniques for micing dialogue in cars over on the JWSound Group:

I think it would be nice to have a Frequently Asked Questions section so that when people ask "which microphone is best for this room?" or "what frequency will work in City X," we could just refer to them with a link. Or better yet, make sure they understand that they should check the FAQ section first rather than post a question that's been answered many times.

Really good ideas, digest/reference listings consolidating all the posts on a subject, producing FAQ lists, etc. The problem is, it is very difficult and time consuming. I have been looking into wiki-style software with methods of automated and semi-automated routines for extracting data based on keywords and so forth. There is no easy way to do this (as I'm sure Marc will agree even after doing his post).

There is no easy way to do this (as I'm sure Marc will agree even after doing his post).

True dat! 

For the moment, I wonder if there's just a way to make "sticky" posts in this section so that they don't get pushed down as newer messages get posted. I dunno if that's a feature accessible in this forum software or not. 

I seem to recall that David Waelder had a very good compendium of often-discussed topics as well. When you think about it, the sum total of knowledge here over the last 6-7 years would comprise a pretty good book. 

• 4 weeks later...

I understand the difficulty as Jeff described, but I too think that even having an FAQ sub forum where there is only compiled info, with possibly the inability for young people not willing to read the rules to post in it. I start getting a burning rage inside of me whenever I see questions like "whats the best boom mic?" and "how do I lav people without getting clothing rustle?". I dont know if its a battle worth fighting, but it seems like the younger people get the more self entitled they are and feel like they dont have to do any of their own research. I for one was a member for many many months constantly reading before I ever posted anything, and when I did it was usually something you couldnt read out of a manual, or only chiming in with my own experience, and that was of course after Id been doing this for a few years. In any case, I'd love to limit what newcomers can do in the forum, and perhaps making them have to read through an FAQ before they are allowed to post anything would be one of those things. Again, Im sure thats pretty tough on Jeff's part, so I dont know. Just rambling...

I seem to recall that David Waelder had a very good compendium of often-discussed topics as well.    

Ive got David's compendium copied and saved, and I post it on occasion when the generic lav question comes up (the ones Jon mentions).

When this topic has come up in the past, I've gotten the feeling that some people may think that these compendium ideas constitute a "giving away of secrets"???

Just a useless musing.

Ha. JonG, I understand your frustration though I don't share the rage part. I think the way you came into this community is shared with many others who did it pretty much the same way. I know little about how web sights or forums are run so I don't know if it would even be doable or desirable to have different layers of membership. More and more I feel that real names are a good idea as well as some sort of introduction to the group. Who knows? The group works well enough as is, but I'm all for improvements if JW has the time or desire. In the mean time, I feel your pain.

CrewC

I had to record a cast member narrating all the episodes on a show while we filmed a scene from it at the same time. We were on location in Louisiana and the scene was pretty noisy. The vehicle the narrating cast member was in was ill suited for the job of isolation, and had some bad reflections from the windows. I told em so, but they didnt listen.... of course they had to do it all over again.... and fly the cast member out to Los Angeles for it.... If only production would listen to their technicians....

Dear JonG:

I'm with Crew on this, rage is a little bit strong regarding newbies who post simple and fundamental questions that have been posted many, many times before. I do share your feelings about the benefit of some sort of digest, reference list or wiki, something which could be searched easily by new members. For the last several months I have been investigating ways in which some of this could be accomplished and haven't yet come up with any real viable solution. It is something that would be valuable for all of us, not just a means to alleviate your rage. I really take it to heart statements like the one Marc made: "When you think about it, the sum total of knowledge here over the last 6-7 years would comprise a pretty good book." --- I would like the site to serve our community in this way if I can find a way to do it. You have to remember that this is a DISCUSSION group at it's very core and who knew that we would have so many discussions that are worthy of an organized and searchable archive. 

It is something that would be valuable for all of us, not just a means to alleviate your rage. I really take it to heart statements like the one Marc made: "When you think about it, the sum total of knowledge here over the last 6-7 years would comprise a pretty good book."

I would revise that to say a very good book.   ^_^