Zaxcom question

pvanstry

With the new Camera link system coming out, i am thinking of making the jump to a QRX and ERX setup for feeding cameras in the future. The ability to do Timecode, IFB and Wireless Hop from the same TX and all integrated is hard to resist.

BUT, 3.5mm connectors for Timecode are seriously making me nervous.

Is it possible to order the ERX and QRX ( Qifb TC 3.5mm connector ) with a locking screw on 3.5mm connector like Sennheiser uses for their G2 and G3 system?

We are talking about Timecode here, not simple headphone IFB.  To trust the worst possible connector in audio for one of the most crucial and least forgiving thing in our job, is making me shiver.

ANy chances here?

The screw on connector accepts a norml 3.5mm connector for normal earbud use on an ERX, so that when used as an IFB, it would function normally.

Thank you

PAscal

Yeah, that was something that always bothered me on the QRX end. I asked my local dealer/tech about modding the QRX but they said it was not possible, I think due to lack of space in the QRX. I ended up using a bit of gaffer tape to hold it in place.

I'd rather have someone accidentally pull out that cable, then to accidentally pull the cable; which either tears the cable apart or pulls the entire system with it.

I'm not sure of another way to do it other than what JDirkze said, but I'd rather have it the way it's built. Although, I've never actually used my QRX100 in this way. Mine stays in my bag.

The question that I keep asking to myself; why again?

It's been talked about before, same for the switches ( recessed switches have been there for decades now!).

And that memory card that could be ejected too easily; been finally corrected at the time on the TRX900, now it's back..!

Why ? Why again !?

Pascal, I have not had an issue with mine either.<br /><br />With my Nomad and the ERX's the set up is badass. Used it the last few days with a C300 and a 5d. I ran guide track to both cameras and timecode to the C300. With a two camera interview I could send a sync bleep to both of them. Bad ass!<br /><br />I am now considering selling my Lectro D4 set up and going with Zaxcom.

Pascal, I agree with you the 3.5mm plug is a little suspect.  I use my ERXs on camera constantly, and I have have one headphone jack fail recently.  Otherwise, using right angle connectors it hasn't been a problem.  I took a look at my ERX to see if I could remove the trs jack and install a 00 series lemo in it's place.  It may be possible, but I decided not to do it.

Studiomprd: I have asked questions about my Zaxcom products twice.
Once in this forum and once on the Zaxcom support page. My question to the Zaxcom support went un-answered and the one from this forum was answered by the head of Zaxcom within an hour or so.

I have seen your unremarkable comments on a few of the threads in this forum and figured you would be aware that the heads of Zaxcom read this board and even comment on most things Zaxcom related. 

Using this forum is IMHO the most efficient way to "Contact the manufacture" (In this case) I am also a big fan of 'Open Letters' on public forums or social media to get a message across.

Anyway, I guess what i'm trying to say is; Drop the whole trolling thing. Its really annoying and in this case: Completely redundant.

Maybe I'm missing something but what is the big deal here? If the camera can't keep sync long enough for the cable to be plugged back in, in case it was accidentally removed, then I think you have bigger issues. 

Usually, my ERX is velcro'd to the camera and all cables are nicely bongo tied. Unless the Camera Op is a complete idiot  or has butter fingers then I don't see the probability of a cable being unplugged as very likely. 

Pascal,

Just make the jump. You'll be happy you did.