NAB 2013 New exciting gears from Sounddevices

Tuhiva

The Pix 260 is a game changer. Would love to have that on my sound cart and at the price point it seems to make perfect sense. Rushes would be immediate. At least for one camera but I wonder if that would get video assist's arms n in th air in union land.

Oh you betcha for sure.

Eric

The Pix 260 is a game changer. Would love to have that on my sound cart and at the price point it seems to make perfect sense. Rushes would be immediate. At least for one camera but I wonder if that would get video assist's arms n in th air in union land.

When you say "game changer" I think you need to define what game you are in. If you have gotten the job as the production sound mixer but you are willing and able to do the work of a video assist operator, DIT, assistant editor and projectionist, then go for it. Remember, however, that someone in the Camera dept. may be thinking on the same lines --- get a PIX-260, get production to hire a sound p.a. to wire everybody up, then deliver sync dailies with up to 32 tracks of audio. Sweet! Well, actually, not so sweet. If it is a union job, you will of course run into all sorts of jurisdiction issues (that are now being fought between the Locals), and there are real professional job description and responsibility issues to be considered. Just because a device CAN do all sorts of neat things doesn't mean the whole "game" should change.

From what I've seen, hooking the Pix up to do track widths beyond 8 chan is kind of a pain, and beyond that kind of a kludge--so many different formats/connectors.  If someone decides to base a cart setup on it I'd love to hear how they do it--mixer interface, monitor mixing, playback, media handoff, logging and reports, powering etc.

philp

Would any of you guys buy a mixer or audio recorder from a brand called videodevices or picturedevices? Seems weird to me...wonder if sounddevices start to make more money with the video business than they do with audio, they might have to change their name...

Would any of you guys buy a mixer or audio recorder from a brand called videodevices or picturedevices? Seems weird to me...wonder if sounddevices start to make more money with the video business than they do with audio, they might have to change their name...

I think the name of the company is irrelevant (and the Sound Devices name is well established and well respected, rightfully so). Would you buy a wireless microphone set from a company named after the conference room and church lecterns they equipped? That's where Lectrosonics got their name. The products, from any company, will stand on their own merits. 

At a minimum the cable between the PIX260i and the 01v96i would need to be CAT6 to support the gigabit throughput. Currently Shure offers a rack mount receiver that supports Dante, so you could connect all components with two cables or use a wired or wireless router to network all the gear. You could also send your audio to the DIT if running a PIX260i on the same network. Dante will be offered in almost every major piece of rack mount gear in 2 years or less.

In the attached photo the 01v96i is feeding the pix260i all 16 channels

I know of at least 5 union TV shows in Los Angeles that are recording this way right now.

This is a fascinating setup. I wouldn't have even thought of it but I can see why it would have its advantages.

Why is it so hard for Sound Devices to come out with a version of the 302 with an SD recorder with USB? Fostex has one, Tascam has one , Audio unlimited has one and it seems large number of people on this Forum , myself included want it?

Why is it so hard for you to just ask Sound Devices, nicely, if they have any plans for a device like you describe, essentially a little brother to the 552 based on the 302 mixer. Just because you and a few others want it doesn't mean that they are planning on making it.

" (that are now being fought between the Locals) "

fighting amongst and between the locals is an advantage for the employers!

and this is another reason why the IATSE sound locals should merge with the single, national Camera local.

Mike, the national camera local has been a disaster for the New York camera guys (old local 640).  The NY local was much tougher.  Now they're wimps on a national scale.  Only the producers won in that merger.

The merger was done unilaterally by the International to benefit the producers. The I.A. has ceased to be a true labor union in the classic sense, maybe it never was a labor union. Everything being done these days is being done to help management. If the International could have its way, we would all be in one big nationwide union working under a Area Standards type bundle of confusing and concessionary contracts for the producer to pick and choose from. Basically, what little power we may now have as a Local would vanish completely (as Billy points out the disaster of the Camera "Guild" merger). I believe this WILL happen, in some form, but it will not put us in a better position. If you think sound and video crews are marginalized now, just wait until we are all one big national union.

The big problem is that the International gets rich as long as it is union members on the job. The specific contract, wage scale and working conditions, is of little concern --- the I.A. gets its money in all cases.

When you say "game changer" I think you need to define what game you are in. If you have gotten the job as the production sound mixer but you are willing and able to do the work of a video assist operator, DIT, assistant editor and projectionist, then go for it. Remember, however, that someone in the Camera dept. may be thinking on the same lines --- get a PIX-260, get production to hire a sound p.a. to wire everybody up, then deliver sync dailies with up to 32 tracks of audio. Sweet! Well, actually, not so sweet. If it is a union job, you will of course run into all sorts of jurisdiction issues (that are now being fought between the Locals), and there are real professional job description and responsibility issues to be considered. Just because a device CAN do all sorts of neat things doesn't mean the whole "game" should change.

Exactly what I am speaking about. It's a game changer on both fronts but I think sound should take a hold of that technology.

Often times there is an HD feed on set and often times (time permitting) there is a hard line feed given to the audio mixer. The technology that is being offered is convenient for us as sound mixers. We don't necessarily have to record the video but all I'm saying is that it does make the ability to have an incredible backup or front end recorder. Since we are also the masters of code (TC) it seems only fitting that this sort of technology will benefit us.

Here in Toronto we have 873 (technicians union including sound) and 667 which is the camera local. I've always considered that a liability to the sound department as we generally work for camera. What better way to get better increases in wage and respect than with a machine such as the PIX 260. Maybe be rightfully set with camera when dealing with contracts.

At 6000 dollars its as expensive as a 788 or Nomad respectively and allows us the ultimate front end to a cart. The mixing or tracking functionality will never leave us and THEY need us to do such a specialized job (sound that is). I don't think anyone should kid themselves that this will soon be integrated into the camera dept in a BIG way at some point. We may be wise to pounce all over the technology.

I'm not trying to roil the waters but my initial post was that it IS a game changer. The PIX 240 was already a very cool implement but limited in our world. The PIX 260 is just that much cooler and at the price point it's hard to deny the power that could either give us or take away. I was somewhat opening up that can of worms or playing devils avocado whatever may be. :)

Paul

They *could* change the name, but the Sound Devices name is well established and well respected, even amongst camera people. At this point I think it's too late, because the Pix has been shipping for a while, and people have taken to it. Sure, there will be detractors, but probably less than the old guard camera people that laughed at Red thinking they were just a sunglasses company, while Red was in the process of turning the camera industry upside down. 

It might be the worlds I work in, but I am yet to hear one (camera) person say something bad about the pix. They all seem to love them. 

I think the name Sound Devices is brilliant as it doesn't just mean Sound (as in audio) devices, but also sound (as in sound advice or something similar) devices. That's how I always interpreted that name, anyway. So for me at works for video equipment, too.

New audio gears:

XL 2X: Male/female XLR cable to TA3F..... ::)

That's not exciting at all

Why is it so hard for Sound Devices to come out with a version of the 302 with an SD recorder with USB? Fostex has one, Tascam has one , Audio unlimited has one and it seems large number of people on this Forum , myself included want it?

While I would love a 302 that can record, perhaps Sound Devices current decision not to make one is based on price point. Even before they increased their prices, the 302 was their only mixer priced under $2000. A recorder would almost assuredly go to or beyond that point. So, if you do that, anyone wanting a simple 3 channel mixer for less than $2000 would be taking their business somewhere else. Also, I really doubt they would make and sell two versions of the 302. Look as the discontinuation of the 442 after the release of the 552.

" Why is it so hard for Sound Devices to come out with a version of the 302 with an SD recorder with USB? "

no one says it is difficult, and by listing the alternatives, you may have explained why SD has chosen not to compete in that arena, at this time...

" Why is it so hard for you to just ask Sound Devices, nicely, "

Thanks Jeff...

" The big problem is that the International gets rich...the I.A. gets its money in all cases. "

thanks again, Jeff...

YEP, that is the problem...

and a good question, too:

" what little power we may now have as a Local "

what little power we may now have as a Local ?