TRX900LA Build Quality?

Alex Mitchell

" my concerns about... "

sorry, but there have been so many discussions about the equipment alternatives, and as you may recall both brands have many loyal fans, so what are you really expecting ..??

I was expecting comments on the build quality of the TRX series, and a comparison between the ERXv.1 and the TRX900LA/LT--both of which have been provided. Do you have anything to contribute to that discussion or were you just planning on being a pedant?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*shrugs*

Much like Mr Greffard, I'm of the opinion that the relatively high price of the ERX (and bearing in mind it is purposed to be an IFB as well as a sync device) suggests that a belt clip of some description should not be an 'optional extra'.

The Zaxcom Never(Belt)Clip?

I will address build quality on the LAs only as that is the title of this thread. 

Those magnets for the door pop out constantly. I've given up and just gaff tape it shut. The ERXs are even flimsier for comparison. If we are comparing the build quality of the Zax LA and Lectro SMQ, there is none. 

They have been several times. I've tried scoring them and glueing them myself, which has worked better than the stock. The last time I got them back I think it made it a day before popping out. I've made forum postings about it.

My Nomad is going back again as well, since this is a reliability thread.

Not sure what this is happening- the magnets or the housing may be defective. You should contact Zaxcom directly and arrange for it to be repaired/replaced.

I don't own any TRX900LA but I have a bunch of other Zax gear. All I can say is their build quality is inferior to Lectro and SD products. My Fusion has been back to Zax 5 times in 2 years. The very first time I used it after buying it brand new, the record button gets stuck! I sent it in for battery backed clock issue after 2 days of use. Both my RX900S battery door don't latch properly when there is no battery in them. The connection between the my TRX900 and STA100 is fragile. Had to sent it in due to the pins being damaged. My Mix-12 came with poor quality Bournes faders that get dirty and faders became rough. Plus you can't clean them properly like the P&G faders it was suppose to come with. The record button gets stuck as well. I have sent my Mix-12 in for repairs and it still get stuck. Gosh I have been sick of sending gear back to Zax!!

You buy Zax products for their innovation and great features, but definitely NOT for build quality.

I've had ZERO issues with my stereoline, trx900 or rx900's over the past 6ish years. One small issue with an Erx1, screen cracked, but I think that was due to camera man squeezing it with his forarm while a ta3 connector was pushed up against the screen... Won't let that happen again. Replaced under warranty. Nomad sent in due to freezes on boot up. Board replaced under warranty. Smooth sailing on the nomad ever since. Not a single freeze. These pieces of gear are the core of my kit. Can't imagine working without them. over all, all things considered, very pleased.

Let's see.. my first Zax kit, a used stereoline setup worked great. Yes the battery doors were stupid, they still worked though. Large capacitor in the power cable was also annoying.

My brand new QRX had to go in almost immediately for a bad RF board, replaced under warranty, and then two more times because it refused to take firmware updates for a long time. Eventually I think it was determined that it was a software only issue.

Had trouble initially with all the "extra" features but it's always worked reliably as a radio. No hits, rarely a drop out. Great audio quality.

My stuff is working fantastic now. The Nomad issues I had were covered under warranty.

No issues with my ERX's they having been working as promised. And I have four of them. I'm actually a really huge fan of them.

My Fusion I've always loved. In the four years I've had it, I only sent it in twice. It's still kicking butt.

The SD stuff I owned I never once sent it in. I also rarely called them. Lectro stuff I have sent in but it was for firmware upgrades and I had block changes done on a couple wireless.

I've been pretty happy with my gear over the years. Despite how I sound on here sometimes ;)

I don't own any TRX900LA but I have a bunch of other Zax gear. All I can say is their build quality is inferior to Lectro and SD products. My Fusion has been back to Zax 5 times in 2 years. The very first time I used it after buying it brand new, the record button gets stuck! I sent it in for battery backed clock issue after 2 days of use. Both my RX900S battery door don't latch properly when there is no battery in them. The connection between the my TRX900 and STA100 is fragile. Had to sent it in due to the pins being damaged. My Mix-12 came with poor quality Bournes faders that get dirty and faders became rough. Plus you can't clean them properly like the P&G faders it was suppose to come with. The record button gets stuck as well. I have sent my Mix-12 in for repairs and it still get stuck. Gosh I have been sick of sending gear back to Zax!!

You buy Zax products for their innovation and great features, but definitely NOT for build quality.

I retro fitted my mix12 with P&G faders as they were originally, a world of difference and it now operates like a pro panel should. I had a few words to Zax over this issue and they were quite understanding and helped me out a bit but they still currently sell the mix12 with the bourne faders which I think is a huge mistake, better to raise the price a bit and put P&G's back in my opinion.

C.

Ha Sammy, just realised it's you! - you know all about my mix12 drama, did you mod yours in the end too?

I own a Fusion 12, a bunch of 900LT transmitters, QRX receivers, 900S receivers, ERXTCD version 1, 900AA, and IFB100.

I have had no issues in the years I've owned Zaxcom gear with either reliability or durability.

The show I'm mixing right now has two 788's and a ton of Lectro. Both 788's have freaked out and reset about half the parameters and we've had Lectro transmitters and receivers fail.

None of this gear is perfect or indestructible. If you are having build quality issues you are beating the crap out of your gear needlessly.

All of these companies do an outstanding job with customer support when there is an issue. They all continuously improve, build new products, and innovate. Sometimes those innovations have hiccups, sometimes they don't.

If you have an issue or problem slamming them doesn't solve it. None of them can test all possible scenarios of abuse, misuse, or general use prior to releasing a product. So, for better or worse, some units may encounter problems.

All of these companies have to rely on third party vendors for parts and their quality control. Zaxcom, Lectro, Sound Devices, PSC, Etc are frequently at the mercy of outside forces upon the design of their gear.

If you can build a better, perfect recorder, wireless unit, or anything absolutely perfectly and without any issues ever go for it. I'll place my order now.

Production Sound Mixing for Television, Film, and Commercials.

www.matthewfreed.com