664 LCD screen outdoors

Derek H

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LEDs near the fader pots are adjustable (separate from LCD in the menu), however the LCD still poses a significant problem outdoors. Have used iPod/iPad antiglate covers (wet application) which have helped, however I find the LCD not bright enough. Hoping for a better solution / SD improvement.

I am halfway thru filming a series thru the pacific and have found the screen,by far the biggest design flaw.....When you are bag based it is near impossible to read the screen in full sunlight.

Apart from that its a brilliant piece of kit....but I really wish that screen was readable

ant

So I just used a 664 outdoors today for the first time, overcast day..

Not exactly sunlight readable is it? My eyes hurt at the end of the day from squinting.

I really missed my 552s LEDs!

How are you guys dealing with this?

At the risk of stating the obvious, the screen (or at least the meters) appears noticeably brighter if the "track names in meters" are turned OFF. I don't particularly like it, but that's what I revert to when outdoors.

Tom

People laughed at them.

HAHAHAHA!

*wipes eyes*

My Nomad hasn't yet seen bright sunlight yet this year and I am afeared...

...but the Zaxcom mod really did help. In all honesty though I'm pretty sure that the 664 was brighter to start with, probably as a result of the Nomad issues. I'm sure we will all struggle at some stage. Me and others were certainly very squeaky about it, but there was an awful lot of improvement possible by comparison (in my opinion).

At least we didn't all end up getting craft knives and cutting off the screen covers... : /

All the LCD screens have problem direct in sun. That happend and in laptops etc..

When I can't see the screen I turn my body in different direction.

Life is simple.

This is true.

However, I would gently point out that many people made comments like this and were rather dismissive of the problems Nomad users initially reported. In fact - as we rightly suspected - the LCD screen was not performing to the best of its abilities.

I have no idea if the 664 screen has been pushed to its limitations, but if users are unhappy then asking if SD can improve things seems reasonable.

LCD is not LCD is not LCD...

The only thing that would be required is brighter (or more) LED's for the back light of the LCD screen. Should be fairly easy, apart from heat generation.

Make sure you don't wear polarized sunglasses since an LCD also has a polarization filter :)

Getting rid of the (optional) screen protector also improves visibility of the 664 LCD.

LCDs are tricky. Since we introduced our screen brightness change on Nomad we have had no complaints in this area. We have made the Maxx brighter yet and eliminated the screen cover that can cause glare. I hope none of our Nomads are wearing hoodies anymore.

Glenn

The only thing that would be required is brighter (or more) LED's for the back light of the LCD screen. Should be fairly easy, apart from heat generation.

I may not be getting what you mean, but as I read I doubt it's true. LCDs and LEDs are completely different technologies and one is not made up if the other. I should mention though, that I'm not a screen expert.

Turning away from the sun is a fun idea, unless it's 12o'clock. Besides, while booming I can't just turn away. Once I've found a spot to boom, not be in the shot and still be able to see the subject as well as establish eye contact with the dp, there's no more turning away