4-pin XLR wiring - 14-volt, 16-volt?

Izen Ears

I think that the pins are set for various voltage ranges.  The 1 and 4 pin configuration are 12v on the PSC stuff.  You'll probably find that 12v is really 13.4v anyway.  There is an internal pot in their gear, typically, so you can maximize the 12v output to 13.4v or so.  It's usually the factory default, so I'd be surprised if you aren't getting that kind of voltage.

You can call them (California time) - the owner and techs are almost always their sitting at their work stations, and will be happy to help.  Great company, and my neighbors here in Valencia, so I get to bring my stuff in directly.

Robert

Dan,

This a fairly easy procedure. All you need to do is change the "hot" pin on the powermax side to the appropriate desired voltage. PSC comes with the following factory default pin assignment.

Output Power: Pin 1 = Ground

Pin 2 = +6Vdc @ up to 5 amps

Pin 3 = +18Vdc @ up to 5 amps

Pin 4 = +12Vdc @ at up to 12 amps

Also like Robert pointed out there is an voltage regulator pot inside for voltage tweeks. And yes call up PSC if you have any questions, I'm sure they will be lots of help.

With the internal adjustment, you can turn the 18v pin into a a 15v pin. But I would take it to a shop to do that. Fostex machines say they want 12v, but they really want 15v.

Then from the power max, you connect hot to pin 3, neg to pin 1. When you get to the PD6 side, that hot lead needs to go to Pin 4, while keeping the neg/ground on Pin 1.

Josh

I've got a PSC powermax, and I heard that my PD6 likes 14 volts, not 12...

Dan Izen

I don't know of a reason the PD-6 would not give full specs with 12V coming in. The PD-6 draws a relative large amount of current, so, in the same power cable that might be adequate for other devices (ENG mixers for example) there could be enough voltage drop in the cable to cause problems if the cable is not a large enough gauge or too long.

Glen Trew

This whole concept has confused me for a while as well. If a machine is designed to use a range of volts, let's say, from 12-18V, then what is the advantage, or disadvantage of using either end of that range? Is there a detrimental effect from using just enough voltage to get it to turn on? I understand that too much can cook the circuits, etc, but isn't enough voltage, er, enough?

Tom

This whole concept has confused me for a while as well. If a machine is designed to use a range of volts, let's say, from 12-18V, then what is the advantage, or disadvantage of using either end of that range?

Tom

I'm not sure if this answers any part of your question or not but one thing to consider is whether you are talking about powering some piece of equipment off a battery supply, which will go down, or off a regulated power source (like a AC powered regulated DC power supply). The exception of course, although I don't know how many people are using items like the Juicer, is a battery supply that is feeding the load through a regulated DC to DC device. The point I am making is that if a given piece of gear will operate from 12 volts to 18 volts and you are using a supply that will diminish over time, it makes sense to start out at the high end so you have more time before the supply gets close to the bottom of the range. The other factor, and this is often only reveled through personal experience and is not reflected in the operational spec, is the tolerance for operation below thew stated voltage. Some gear, even if rated at "12 to 18 volts" will misbehave or even fail at a 10th of a volt below. In the same fashion, some equipment is very intolerant when you approach the upper limit.

-  Jeff Wexler

Hey thanks y'all for the tips, I will rewire a cable for the PD6 to give it 14 volts, weird that it wants 15 volts though...  I might call PSC and ask about tweaking the output too.

That is a great question about why the PD6 "wants" 15 volts but can operate on 12 - 18.  What's the benefit to feeding it a constant 15?  Wacky stuff...  Can't wait to get the Deva...

Dan Izen

Dan,

This a fairly easy procedure. All you need to do is change the "hot" pin on the powermax side to the appropriate desired voltage. PSC comes with the following factory default pin assignment.

Output Power: Pin 1 = Ground

Pin 2 = +6Vdc @ up to 5 amps

Pin 3 = +18Vdc @ up to 5 amps

Pin 4 = +12Vdc @ at up to 12 amps

Also like Robert pointed out there is an voltage regulator pot inside for voltage tweeks. And yes call up PSC if you have any questions, I'm sure they will be lots of help.

With the internal adjustment, you can turn the 18v pin into a a 15v pin. But I would take it to a shop to do that. Fostex machines say they want 12v, but they really want 15v.

Then from the power max, you connect hot to pin 3, neg to pin 1. When you get to the PD6 side, that hot lead needs to go to Pin 4, while keeping the neg/ground on Pin 1.

Josh