John Coffey no longer at Trew Audio

John Coffey

I've had a nice run of luck, but all good things come to an end. Please let me know if anyone hears about a cushy office job for a broken down old former shop owner.

When I originally sold Coffey Sound to Wexler Video several years ago, they kept me on to run the store. So I'm very grateful to Chris Thompson and Bob Wexler for teaching me more about business than I ever dreamed possible.

I wish only the best for Trew Audio and their fine staff. I especially want to thank Glen Trew for allowing me to hang around awhile longer after he purchased Coffey Sound from Wexler Video. He's a great guy and I learned a lot from him too.

I value all the friendships I have made within our small world community. Thanks for your support over the years and I hope the ride continues. In the meantime, I'll see you in the unemployment line,

John Coffey

john@gracedistribution.com

Sorry to hear that John,all good things come to an end.I remember the first time I heard the name John Coffey was back in 2004 when I was studying film in Chile and my Production sound teacher asked me to translate in to spanish "an open letter from your sound department." It really opened my eyes (ears) as to how to work together in a film crew and go beyond the role of a Sound Mixer and to work for the project but at the same time demanding the upmost respect for the craft. Thank you for that.

I hope to not see you in the unemployment line

Cheers

M

John -

It's been a long time since we've had a face-to-face, but in light of your recent announcement,  I just want to thank you very much for something I now feel the need to bring up, as there's a LOT of people on this group that probably have no idea...

You were the one - the early adopter, the evangelist (and I'm not reaching here) - in tandem with Zaxcom - in the evolution and adoption of the Deva hard disk recorder.......  I want to personally thank you for your tireless pioneering efforts in the early years of hard-disk recording, which have culminated in the way we ALL work now. 

I am certain you spent a lot of barely compensated time and effort in those very early years.....  as it took a good while for things to catch on in the face of a fully methods-conservative, tape-based industry.....  and all the kinks and misconceptions and communication and troubleshooting, new features conjured up, etc etc...  You did a lot of the work that eventually led to the proliferation and outright overhaul of production sound recording as it is today.  

I remember when I first met you - either the last AES held in L.A. or maybe it was another AES convention, long-ago, in San Fran. 

To be honest, I think I practically / very luckily stumbled into your booth or location.  I wasn't looking for a Deva - I had NO idea what one was !    You took the time to go over a lot of things with me about  and I have to say I was "sold" from minute one.....

especially when you picked it up and shook the hell out of it while you were recording - oh, yeah, that new "pre-record" feature was rather mind-blowing too. 

That was one radical new toy you were fronting, and though it took me over a year to come up with the money to get one, it was your demo and firm belief in this new future that was the driving force in my acquisition (of course, coupled with a special hatred for DAT that most of us shared!)  --  kinda life changing by the way....

Good luck on your new ventures - you'd be a great rep for any product line smart enough to take you onboard -

and I hope I can buy you a few rounds at that next / future show where I'm lucky enough to bump into you again....

MF

John !   I hope NOT to see you in the unemployment line - for the sake of both of us.  What a long, strange trip it's been, and you've definitely been a trailblazer along the way.  You've banked years and years of people toasting your health, and offering to buy you rounds at any bar in the 13 western states  -  please allow me to cover your tab anywhere here in Hollywood (or maybe the Chinese province of your choosing?)  With great respect and affection  -  it will _always_ be Coffey Sound on Cahuenga.  Thank you for your contributions and support of our community  --

Damn that's sad news to me John. I really admire you and the business you grew to be known far and wide as Coffey Sound. You have been great to me and my family and for that I will always be grateful. You have a top notch reputation in our community. Not all can say that and be telling the truth. I will miss you around the shop when I come to town but will always remember how it all started. I know you aren't ready for golf and cards full time so I fully expect to see you around town doing something interesting. Heres to you pal, Cheers. 

CrewC

I still call it Coffey Sound.

+1,all the time 

Sorry to hear that John,all good things come to an end.I remember the first time I heard the name John Coffey was back in 2004 when I was studying film in Chile and my Production sound teacher asked me to translate in to spanish "an open letter from your sound department." It really opened my eyes (ears) as to how to work together in a film crew and go beyond the role of a Sound Mixer and to work for the project but at the same time demanding the upmost respect for the craft. Thank you for that.

I hope to not see you in the unemployment line

Cheers

M

I did the same into Chinese 

It's really really a shame.Appreciate that all the help and patient you've been given to me as "one of your toughest customers",for all these years. I hope I will see you more often at Gracedistribution !

All the best 

Cloud 

When Trew Audio negotiated to acquire Coffey Sound, I insisted that John's willing participation be a condition of the purchase. To John's credit, he didn't have to join Trew Audio, but did so to insure the legacy of the company he had built, and to provide increased stability for his staff during the transition by helping with the success of Trew Audio's Hollywood branch. On April 30 of this year, the 18-month agreement will have run its course with the goals of John and myself achieved. But there was an additional benefit that surprised both John and I: We had a blast working together.

Prior to joining Trew Audio, John and I had been friendly but fierce competitors, which dominated our relationship. During the acquisition process, and the 18 months that have followed of working with and hanging out with John, I have grown to value and appreciate him as a friend, and gained respect for him for what he had accomplished through an incredible amount of hard work.

The entire process that actually began over two years ago has been friendly and with enthusiasm throughout; two qualities that will be unaware of the April 30 finish line.

Glen Trew

When Trew Audio negotiated to acquire Coffey Sound, I insisted that John's willing participation be a condition of the purchase. To John's credit, he didn't have to join Trew Audio, but did so to insure the legacy of the company he had built, and to provide increased stability for his staff during the transition by helping with the success of Trew Audio's Hollywood branch. On April 30 of this year, the 18-month agreement will have run its course with the goals of John and myself achieved. But there was an additional benefit that surprised both John and I: We had a blast working together.

Prior to joining Trew Audio, John and I had been friendly but fierce competitors, which dominated our relationship. During the acquisition process, and the 18 months that have followed of working with and hanging out with John, I have grown to value and appreciate him as a friend, and gained respect for him for what he had accomplished through an incredible amount of hard work.

The entire process that actually began over two years ago has been friendly and with enthusiasm throughout; two qualities that will be unaware of the April 30 finish line.

Glen Trew

It is fitting this is happening in the Spring, a time of renewal and birth.

CrewC

In adding to the heaps of hard earned, and well deserved accolades for our Friend John Coffey, I also note that while our host here, Jeff Wexler was the pioneer beta-tester of non-linear digital recording on movies, John Coffey and his shop were the key links to getting our new technology actually adopted.

So now it is time to bestow a lifetime achievement award to his shelf as we all thank John, and Coffey Sound, for all their past support and advocacy, and wish the very best to John, and his family, knowing we will continue hearing, and benefiting  from them in then future.

While it may seem strange to not be driving the 3.2 miles to the same store today, it's also an opportunity. I think of this as a really long tv series that just got cancelled. I enjoyed it immensely and now it's time to find another great job.

Glen and I had a blast and will remain friends. In fact, hanging out with him was the best part of the job. I was actually hoping they would have created a new position just for me, called VP of Customer Schmoozing, but that never happened. My only regret is that they tried to actually make me work, and I suck at that.

Thanks to everyone for the Facebook & JW posts, phone calls, texts and e-mails.  It's been overwhelming and makes me feel like I'm reading my eulogies in advance. However, it did prove that I'm on my way to achieving my only real goal I ever had....to be six degrees of separation from everyone in our sound business. :)

I'm fine and keeping very busy.  Well I've got to go now, Dr. Phil is about to start.

John Coffey CAS

john@gracedistribution.com

I will always think of it as Coffey Sound as well. 

It was fun running into you at NAB, and I hope that some day I will get a chance for you to teach me a few things about playing poker! More importantly, I hope the best for you and your future, you are one of the best of the best. 

To John

I wish you the best in your new journey, you've done so much in your career as a wonderful business owner with a fantastic staff at Coffey, I'm sure your new adventure will be even more rewarding.

I want to thank you for your hard work at Coffey sound, my second home, and for taking the time to talk to me and answer my questions much like your staff does.

Wishing you the best and Thank you,

Edmond Smith (that black kid that always has headphones around his neck.)