NYC Union Advice!

DimitriKouri

Hello all, I've been a long time observer of JWsound, this is my first post. 

I'm a NonUnion freelance mixer based in NYC thats been working here for a couple years on mostly independent and commercial work. Lately I've been mixing and boom operating a webseries thats now starting to gain some serious traction and great press. From what I understand, the creatives have been given an  offer and the show might get picked up and unionized.

Honestly, I don't know enough about the unions to know how I should handle this situation. How should I best prepare myself for potentially making that transition? I believe I have enough working days and call sheets...are there any other prerequisites that I need to have solidified before its too late?  Any advice from union mixers (especially in NYC) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

DK

• 10 months later...

If the show is not in production (between seasons) and gets organized, you might consider the possibility that the production company will just go ahead and hire a union mixer instead.  

Check out Local 52s website.  There is a list of info there about applying.  Obviously you are vying for a different outcome, but it would be good to know what standard applicants are up against.  

That said, I have never heard that there are any requirements other than the check you have to write if the show gets flipped and 52 offers you the option to join.

@Arnold F.

First off, his name is Senator. Second, although he can be a PITA here occasionally, he is a very experienced professional regardless of his inaccurate imdb listing. Thirdly, he has chosen a life of academia (like myself, and for better or worse) which limits his ability to continue to accrue credits. Fourth, I can attest to his CAS credentials.

Finally, both he and I have the courage to post under our own names, which makes us accountable when we stay stupid things. Somehow, you are afraid to say who you really are, but think you are eligible to criticize us?

Arnold -

IMDB is full of inaccuracies and gross exaggerations ...  not everyone looks at it, or even cares about it, as a "bible"...

FWIW, looking into YOU on this group, your last 5 postings seem to be targeted at the Senator exclusively.  

Do you have anything constructive to contribute here?

Business going good?

What's happening?

MF

@Arnold F.

First off, his name is Senator. Second, although he can be a PITA here occasionally, he is a very experienced professional regardless of his inaccurate imdb listing. Thirdly, he has chosen a life of academia (like myself, and for better or worse) which limits his ability to continue to accrue credits. Fourth, I can attest to his CAS credentials.

Finally, both he and I have the courage to post under our own names, which makes us accountable when we stay stupid things. Somehow, you are afraid to say who you really are, but think you are eligible to criticize us?

Thanks David.. +1

Rock and Roll...

Whit