Zaxcom Camera Link

Jack Norflus

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wyatt - I believe the with the Lectros after the first scan any new RF will be added that scan. Regardless I did the test your way with an initial scan and the link powered down. Took a photo. Powered down the lectros. Powered up the link and re-scanned the lectros.

My results are basically the same as the initial test.

So once again - link on 21 and Lectros on 25 and 26:

Whoops. You're absolutely right, Jack. My brain must've been working backwards that day. What I meant was that the Lecro's will not remove anything from the rf scan on subsequent passes... Which has no bearing on your tests either way.

My apologies.

Best.

I wouldn't want unnecessary recording if I wasn't using it...

I'm going to guess making all units have the card slot activated means easy firmware updates. Having recording active by default means less models to keep sorted out. Will the Camera Link send firmware updates to an ERX or a QRX or RX900S? 

With my TRX900/STA150 setup I usually have it on looping record that starts when the Nomad goes into record. It's very rare that I will need that, but it's nice to have. On some jobs I will just let it record whenever the bag is powered up in case my Nomad wasn't recording and something unexpected happens. Again, if it's looping the TRX will overwrite the oldest files ad space is used up, so I always have a recording of the last 24 hours or so that my kit was turned on. Then there are the 302 jobs where it is a very useful feature. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just received mine yesterday. It is a big improvement aesthetically as well as functionally. And it finally solves most of the RF spray problem, happy day. I can't say that all your cables will plug and play. BDS cable for STA100 yes, but I have a problem with the remote audio cable (left and right) TA3 to TA5 input for STA100. I'm coming out of the TA3 stereo bus on a 552 and can only get to -25 or so on ch1 of the new camera link with the trim cranked all the way up. If I swap out the CL for the old trx900/sta100 I get unity @ normal -20db. So there maybe similar issues with anyone trying a similar setup, or I just have bad luck with new equipment. I'm going to swap the TA3 cable for an XLR y cable later today to see if I can get matching input levels in this thing.

post-2603-0-09693200-1375973062_thumb.jp

post-2603-0-82686400-1375973081_thumb.jp

my sonosax M32 output a nice signal that i can get -20 dB on my CL. But i did feel that even the tone level are the same on the CL and STA/TRX, the CL's general sound recording level is slightly lower.

i have to say i miss that LED light on top of the TRX which can tell me the unit is in recording or not. On CL it's too hard to read that 900LA type screen when operating in a bag.

And since zaxcom didn't put an internal batt in the CL,it does NOT hold the TC after power off which is very very very odd decision. anyway you have to use a external lockit or zax-IFB feed its TC all the time if you use timecode.

and one more thing, as an zax IFB unit, the CL does not have the ability to remote control GAIN on any zax-TX units yet ( so far v1.25)

the IFB on CL is good, better range than the one in the QIFB,higher mW output. 

gets heat like other zax TX.RX.