Rycote XLR Mount MKII - or others?

RPSharman

Hello

I have seen pics of some poles with plug-on transmitters at the mic end of the pole.

Considering trying this out.

http://www.rycote.com/products/accessoriesspares/xlr_holder_mk_ii/

Who is doing this? What are you using? What are your results? Too heavy?

Thanks.

These things suck. They rely on friction between the rycote and the top of the boom pole to not spin, and like the fibre disc in a grip head, contribute to lower overall friction, making your mic spin loose more often. The previous version, which locked into the bottom of the rycote (hex shaped 'cup') was better.

Ambient make a better version, IMO.

Thanks, Richard.

That looks like the one, or similar anyway. It seems they have lots of great bits.

Can you PM me with pricing info? Happy to buy it from you. Congrats on the new job, by the way.

My favorite spots were Juan's Flying Burrito (if you go to the Garden District one you can get amazing barber treatment at Aiden Gill's) - and a place called Mimi's in The Merigny for drinks and little plates of food and great atmosphere.

Robert

Robert, for my boom operator I've often used this little purple XLR tip from Ambient.

It is easy to use with a short xlr cable and to me it works well.

I guess it is way less expensive than the Quat blue version but it is good for the purpose.

I've a couple of that, cabled for the two mics I use them with.

http://www.ambient.de/en/products/ambient-recording/boompoles/accessories/qat-ecokabel.html

Robert, for my boom operator I've often used this little purple XLR tip from Ambient.

I guess it is way less expensive than the Quat blue version but it is good for the purpose.

http://www.ambient.de/en/products/ambient-recording/boompoles/accessories/qat-ecokabel.html

+1 these are much better. With the Rycote thing you have to tighten the screw thing extremely tight, otherwise that thing manages to introduces noise into the system. To be avoided

Ambient was giving those purple things away at NAB. I picked one up. It's simple, light and does the job.

I didn't feel you were pitching a sale, and it's unlikely anyone else here did either. All the dealers here provide expert knowledge of their inventory, and you are now one of those experts.

Your post was a valuable contribution, and I enjoy dividing my purchases among the "usual suspects", which I would like to include your new employer.

I'm going to look at the various bits. I like the jumper idea too, so I might try both for each of their individual functions.

Robert

In this part of the world A plug on transmitter at the mic end of the pole is common. There is no doubt it does add extra weight and changes the balance of the mic. The convenience of having no cable attached to you is worth it. That said if I am going to be on a long pole with full wind protection on all day I prefer to have the TX in a pouch.

I have never used either the Ambient or the Rycote version. The problem I see with the ambient solutions is that if you are using a rycote basket with conbox you now have an extra header lead in the equation.

Mixers I swung for over here have used a piece of aluminium bent in an L shape, that the transmitter gets velcroed/bungee strapped to. Sorry I don't have any pictures. I am sure there is someone on here that uses a similar system. 

The problem I see with the ambient solutions is that if you are using a rycote basket with conbox you now have an extra header lead in the equation.

You don't have to use the whole XLR holder. Just use the blue metal thing. Unscrew the top from the XLR coming out of the connbox, slip the blue thing on and screw the xlr top back on. Then put the other side on the boom thread under the basket so to speak. It works very well with plug-ons.

You don't have to use the whole XLR holder. Just use the blue metal thing. Unscrew the top from the XLR coming out of the connbox, slip the blue thing on and screw the xlr top back on. Then put the other side on the boom thread under the basket so to speak. It works very well with plug-ons.

Pretty sure you can buy it without said header cable as an option.

Another vote for KTek's KT-A adapter. I'm befuddled as to why putting the plug-on transmitter 4" away from the microphone would be preferable to putting it on the opposite end of the pole. In fact, I'd like to hear an explanation on why putting it on the front works well -- though I don't dispute some people are doing it.

Like Nate said, I guess it is more to don't deal with the cable. Here in Italy too it is commmon to use the plug-on just at the and of the pole. Weight wasn't a big problem to me as well, the only thing I regret is that (lectrosonics transmitter f.e.) the led indicators on the plug-on face the xlr connector (the mic), so if you use the way i described, you're not able to see that lights and find out quickly if your batteries are to be replaced, if the level gos into the limiter....

I'm not aware of the "noise" issue that vale mentioned, but I'll look into that. 

just to be honest, it was not me... :)

Thanks Constantin. Quite obvious solution when pointed out.

Another vote for KTek's KT-A adapter. I'm befuddled as to why putting the plug-on transmitter 4" away from the microphone would be preferable to putting it on the opposite end of the pole. In fact, I'd like to hear an explanation on why putting it on the front works well -- though I don't dispute some people are doing it.

I use panamic poles (externally cabled poles are more common here), so the transmitter at the mic end eliminates any need for longer cables. Makes for quick deployment. If I used an internally cabled pole having the TX at the base would make more sense.

If I had the transmitter at the base of the pole it wouldn't fit in my boom holder either.

I guess it is somewhat a matter of what you are accustomed to and what is the norm in your neck of the woods.

Like Nate said, I guess it is more to don't deal with the cable. Here in Italy too it is commmon to use the plug-on just at the and of the pole. Weight wasn't a big problem to me as well, the only thing I regret is that (lectrosonics transmitter f.e.) the led indicators on the plug-on face the xlr connector (the mic), so if you use the way i described, you're not able to see that lights and find out quickly if your batteries are to be replaced, if the level gos into the limiter....

just to be honest, it was not me... :)

Did I understand this right, you are putting the tx on the mic itself? That can't be good.

I was one who mentioned noise, but when using the Rycote solution. I had to tighten it extremely to avoid really horrible noise, which sounded like the capsules had come loose

Over here a lot of people use these: http://www.ambient.de/en/products/ambient-recording/boompoles/accessories/qwb.html

with Audio Ltd transmitters and a vdb 'phantom bomb' on the top of poles.

Personally I haven't had any trouble with the Rycote XLR holders, although I'm using them with old sennheiser quick release things which need to be screwed on pretty tight (using a coin)

No, i intended to say that the plug on face with its leds in the direction of the mic.

Sorry, my english is not too god...

Did I understand this right, you are putting the tx on the mic itself? That can't be good.

I was one who mentioned noise, but when using the Rycote solution. I had to tighten it extremely to avoid really horrible noise, which sounded like the capsules had come loose