Wireless equipment upgrade...

Sergey

I want to upgrade my wireless equipment,

I have sennheiser G3 EW 100 Wireless transmitter and receiver,

And I have a lot of problems with it, especially RF problems, I have RF interference even if I'm standing just 12 feet (3-4 Meter) from the transmitter.

I use the equipment mainly in documentaries and short films.
My distance from the transmitter during the shooting usually not exceed 30 feet(9-10 Meter).

The main thing I want to solve by upgrading, is  the RF problems.
I thought about few wireless systems:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/594464-REG/Lectrosonics_UCR100LMA_24_100_Series_Wireless.html

Does this system will provide me what I need? 

Or should I buy more advanced system, such as:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/496769-REG/Lectrosonics_UCR411AUM400A_25_400_Series_Wireless.html

What do you think?

TNX  ;D

Hi Sergey,

your G3 set should be just fine for that kind of a distance. If you're happy with the sound of it don't rush into buying something else, G3s are great a value for what they cost. Have you tried changing the frequency? The G3 receiver has a frequency scan with which you can find free frequencies. What frequency group is your set in and where are you located? On the receiver's display there is a bar titled "RF" that shows you how good your reception is.

What they said. The G3s work pretty well, I've found, most of the time. For the money. So something in your setup may be causing problems. Also, perhaps there's undue pressure on the transmitters & their antennas. This can cause dropouts, too. And if the antenna crosses the lavalier's wire. All things that reduce the signal strength. 

Of course the G3s have their limitations. Once, I was given seven sets of G3s for a reality show. Ridiculous. A total nightmare. Typical silly production that could afford REDs but not decent wireless. No way Sennheisers could follow subjects around if they run around that often. Also remember that available frequencies change throughout the day and you have to change frequencies as it goes. Very difficult to do with seven sets! 

The Lectros will do it. I found the 100 series unpleasant, though. It had neither a cool way to find frequencies nor impressive enough audio quality (for the price when new). If you look around the web for opinions, many found that they preferred the G3s over them.
After that I didn't like the LM100/UCR201 series (sounded funny to me and seemed like it was always companding). However, I have dug the UM200C/UCR201 and apparently you can use the LM100 with 400 for a (hybrid?) digital system of high fidelity. Whatever you do, you should get them used. There are many selling 200 sets right now for that price of that new 100 series set, and others. Hell, I'm even selling a set. But only for the $$$. Wish I wouldn't have to, but it's the price I pay for upgrading the recorder. 

Also I've heard around the forum that Europe is quite difficult with its frequencies at this time. Anything related to that?

And I have a lot of problems with it, especially RF problems, I have RF interference even if I'm standing just 12 feet (3-4 Meter) from the transmitter.

Yes I have experienced this as well. Be as close as possible. G3s are probably not good enough for the challenges of unscripted production. After the reality show, I know I prefer them for narrative/scripted work. If you and the production can deal with their limitations, then they're a great value I'd say. 

Edited by srab1138

<p>If/when you do upgrade, even the cheaper Lectrosonics LMa/401 combo would be a HUGE upgrade. When I first upgraded from my Sennheiser G2, I tried a <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/495293-REG/Lectrosonics_UCR401LMA_24_400_Series_Wireless.html">LM/401 set</a> and the difference just in range was fantastic.&nbsp;</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>Maybe it was being in a city, but even with scanning etc the G2 seemed subject to drop out due to intermittent interference. We would tune it, do walk tests etc and at some point they might suffer a complete drop out. The Sennheisers are great for the price, but there is a reason the Lectrosonics cost a lot more. You really do get what you pay for. Just a question of what you need for the jobs you do.&nbsp;</p>

The main thing I want to solve by upgrading, is  the RF problems.
I thought about few wireless systems:

Have you though about the Zaxcom systems.

All transmitters have built in recorders - so if all goes to RF hell you still have a solid audio recording with matching TC.

And as a cost saving option they have the ZFR system. Which doesn't transmit but you can put on talent and record for several hours with no RF issues.

Sawrab,

I have to say that I usually disagree with almost everything you say, it's almost like you're just repeating what you've read elsewhere.

Sergey,

I started out with G2 & G3 units, and the stress over worrying about losing signal every time an actor just turned their back was enormous. Therefore, it was the very first thing I upgraded in my kit (Lectro 411a), and after moving to Lectros, the stress went away. When you can afford it, make the jump to full pro wireless like Lectro or Zaxcom (and I buy used as well).

In the meantime, keep some 18"in XLR cables on you, and run your G3 up onto your shoulders, or up a C-stand with even longer cable. Both tricks I learned here, and both have worked well for me.

It ain't easy being green, brother.

Sawrab,

I have to say that I usually disagree with almost everything you say, it's almost like you're just repeating what you've read elsewhere.

You're right. That's exactly what I'm doing . It's all referenced from somewhere on the web. 

I have used the G2s and G3s a lot though and what I said about pressure on the transmitter does matter. I can't remember where it was but there was some kind of signal test done checking different effects on the ability of the transmitter. Like pressure on the antenna and the lavalier wire crossing the antenna. If the antenna touches the skin of the subject. Things like that. It does affect it.  Bringing the receivers to your shoulder would definitely be a good idea. Improve line of sight, bring it away from the hash of the other receivers and even the recorder. The G3s also use the cables as diversity. Lengthening would help that end too, I guess? I'd do it with the Lectros too. Have you been using your sets in the same banks for each respective block? Not sure if it's in there anymore, but the G2 manual did say to keep sets in their blocks on the same bank so they don't interfere with each other. 

What I said about frequencies changing throughout the day are true for both the Lectros and the G3s. They do change throughout the day. This applies obviously if you're in one location, but I have experienced a change in the RF of a location even five minutes after I already set everything up. Wireless sucks like that. I think this may be the most important thing to remember. Just keep checking. Lectros are powerful enough that they usually blast through RF but that doesn't mean they don't drop out occasionally if you don't change frequencies to more open ones when you can. And the G2s/G3s are even more vulnerable. 

It's not that I want him to use G2/G3s but I have a majorly low-budget background and I've always had to make all this crap work somehow. I'm just telling him how he could make his current setup better. Would it be better if he used Lectrosonics? Hell yes! Can we all upgrade to 411s? Not just right now. But I wish.... 

EDIT: It'd be nice if Ty Ford could chime in for this thread. I'm kind of referencing posts he made on forums.creativecow.net I think in any case. I believe he uses the G3s a lot. I remember something about moving laterally with the G3s, like left or right, would improve the signal sometimes. 

EDIT: Note I changed the website I referenced to Creative Cow instead of Dvxuser for Ty Ford. Just a mistake. I may have looked up a lot of stuff but I never did catalog them afterwards. 

Edited by srab1138

Hi, and welcome...

" I have a lot of problems with it, especially RF problems, "

before you do much of anything, you really need to spend some time reading the Lectrosonics wireless guide (or other manufacturers)...

you also need to make contact with one (or more) of our usual suspects , and get a dialog going with them as their knowledge and experience will be friendly, helpful, and they are not working on commission.

and of course if you do some searching and reading on jwsoundgroup.net, you will find lots of helpful discussions relating to your situatuion

the Sennheiser wireless, like yours, have been working well for many users for years, and thus their popularity....

better arrows, er wireless is not what is most needed in your situation...

I've heard around the forum that Europe is quite difficult with its frequencies at this time

Not much than in NY or LA I think...

I have RF interference even if I'm standing just 12 feet (3-4 Meter) from the transmitter.

Which country are  you from ? It seems you are on a TV channel. 

Loads of good advice. If the Sennheiser does not work over that short range, as well as frequency scans it would be good to substitute your G3 system with another G3 system, set up the same to establish if your system is faulty. Sennheiser QC is pretty good but I did have a new G3 IEM receiver that constantly under performed. Turned out that the antenna was not internally connected: when it eventually fell out, there was no sign that it had ever been soldered to the board. A similar fault would certainly explain poor range. I should add that I have 12 G3 IEM receivers in use all the time, my boom op feeds are G2 / G3 and on this job I am sending a mix to three Alexas on G2 / G3 links so that the director has sync iPad rushes just after wrap. All of this gear has a great range to € ratio. Here in Budapest - good for 60 to 80 metres. 

Tim

Which country are  you from ? It seems you are on a TV channel. 

I'm from Israel and I work in a television studio, In the studio we installed G3 system and it works pretty good.

But our outdoor equipment In pretty bad shape :/

and yes the outdoor wireless system Is not in israels legal frequency range.

Where can I get a list of valid frequencies?

tnx 

I'm from Israel and I work in a television studio, In the studio we installed G3 system and it works pretty good.

But our outdoor equipment In pretty bad shape :/

and yes the outdoor wireless system Is not in israels legal frequency range.

Where can I get a list of valid frequencies?

tnx 

Wait. Are you in Europe or Israel? If it's not in the legal frequency range, then it's got to be a problem.... 

Israel is not here yet, but hopefully someone can get it on here? It would be the place for it to go. 

EDIT: 

This seems like a cool feature from Sennheiser. I don't completely understand how to read it though. Israel is in there, by the way. 

http://www.sennheiserireland.com/ie/home_en.nsf/root/professional_wireless-microphone-systems_frequency-check

Doing a look-up does coincide with the below post by Oleg. 

After doing a google search, it seems that Oleg Kaizerman would know. I think I've heard about him on here as well. Not sure if it's the same one of whom I recall seeing posts about Schoeps being overpriced (not something you can entirely disagree with). 

Here's a quote from...2007 (from dvinfo.net): 

"everything between 500-720 usually works with small exceptions here and there 

if you buying multi channels you will not have problem to find clear channels

dont come with UK units - it sucks as the 32-33 TV occupied by cellphone companies 

By the way if you buy SENS OR SONY invest in better capsules , the one which ome with the tx suck big time"

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/87017-wireless-frequencies-use-israel.html

Of course it is from 2007. Maybe something's changed since then. Better to ask him directly. Anybody know his sn on here? 

Edited by srab1138

I'm from Israel 

I was recording in Israel a few months ago. The culture ministry gives has a document with the TV channel.

During 3 weeks, I had never any frequency trouble in your country ! One of the easiest country as regards to radio frequencies.

Which frequencies are using ? Where are you more precisely ?