Nomad additional 8 rotary fader option

glenn

Any news on Nomad additional 8 rotary fader option please?

How's it coming along?

Any photos to whet the appetite?

Any provisional release date to look forward to?

Any nice surprises about very reasonable price?

Is the firmware ready to accommodate it?

Dimensions of the unit?

That sort of thing.......

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any news on Nomad additional 8 rotary fader option please?

How's it coming along?

Any photos to whet the appetite?

Any provisional release date to look forward to?

Any nice surprises about very reasonable price?

Is the firmware ready to accommodate it?

Dimensions of the unit?

That sort of thing.......

Bump! I was wondering the same? :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a bag custom made and it would be very handy to have even a rough idea of the dimensions of the rotary fader option so it might be accommodated without having to do large modifications later. I realize that it would be my risk but even some clues would help.

I imagine it's possibly similar to the SD CL8 but any clues if anyone knows would be very useful?

thanks.

Thanks Glen that's very useful, though I see even the tiniest bit of information before the fact has spawned a riot..... oops! :)

These are valid concerns though. Like James, I think that having the faders below the Nomad is better so that my big hand don't block the screen. But I guess we will have to wait and see.

" what's the reason for it not being able to be mounted below the Nomad? "

once again reminding us that:

you can please all of the people some of the time, and you can please some of the people all of the time...

but you can never please all of the people on jwsoundgroup.net , any of the time.

" what's the reason for it not being able to be mounted below the Nomad? "

once again reminding us that:

you can please all of the people some of the time, and you can please some of the people all of the time...

but you can never please all of the people on jwsoundgroup.net , any of the time.

Shut up, Mike. I'm not unhappy or displeased (I don't even own a Nomad), I was merely asking a question of the manufacturer. Most, if not all other mixesr/recorders that have an add-on like this allow attaching from the top or bottom surface. There must be a reason as to why it can only be the top for Nomad. Maybe it's RF. Maybe it's the mounting system and the way the screws work with the panel. I don't know, so I'm asking. Isn't that your damn hat?

Quoting soundslikejustin: "Shut up, Mike. I'm not unhappy or displeased (I don't even own a Nomad)"

Why are you so concerned, for others (since you don't own a Nomad) to start re-designing something which isn't even available yet on a recorder you don't use, etc., etc. Are you just trying to "help" Zaxcom design this stuff?

It would be like me wanting to know why Sound Devices put the meters and display on the right side when I think it would be better for me on the SD 664 I don't own and don't use.

Quoting soundslikejustin: "Shut up, Mike. I'm not unhappy or displeased (I don't even own a Nomad)"

Why are you so concerned, for others (since you don't own a Nomad) to start re-designing something which isn't even available yet on a recorder you don't use, etc., etc. Are you just trying to "help" Zaxcom design this stuff?

I'm not concerned, I'm not angry, I'm not...anything. I'm just asking because I'm curious.

At some point I will be upgrading the equipment in my bag. Nomad is a contender at this point, as are other options.

I'm being singled out because I'm asking the direct question that at least three others above me are thinking. I'm cool with that, but there's nothing nefarious going on here. I just like to know everything I can.

Here's an example: I sent one of my QRX's to be serviced, and got a bill which included a replacement of a main board. Service notes were 'it went bad'. I immediately asked for a slightly more technical response because a ) I like to know these things and also b ) it was working fine when I sent it. But I digress.

There's no agenda here, I'm just curious. Seems like others are too.

Edit to add: also, I'm not trying to 'redesign a unit that isn't available yet', but if it can be improved/made more flexible BEFORE it's produced en mass wouldn't that be a good thing? Zaxcom are great at listening to customer needs and wants and incorporating them into product design. Compare Nomad now to Nomad when it was announced....

Many own petrol bags that happen to have a "space" above the "bump" that would be well utilized for an "add-on" panel. "Above" the recorder would "cut-in" to space most often allocated to wireless receivers. Also, as others have mentioned, reaching for the rotary faders if placed "above" the recorder can/could obscure the display screen. We have all been there and done that by now, feedback is to ensure those working in the shop don't forget the minutia of issues that can occur in the field.

I'm almost certain that I want the fader panel above the Nomad, not below, as I find it important to minimize the weight leverage when wearing a bag for long hours. The more you push the weight (of the Nomad) away from the body (for example with the fader panel) the more leverage there is. I have my CL8 above my 788T so I have a precedent for that and have never noticed it being a problem, although of course it's a different machine.

Guess where I was today !!! Guess what I saw - it literally arrived yesterday and is not propogated with boards and/or components yet, so dont expect them to be shipping tomorrow, BUT.... they are not far away.

post-346-0-50259500-1382482404_thumb.jpg

Kindest regards to all,

Simon B