Nomad additional 8 rotary fader option

glenn

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack, I seem to remember Glenn telling us at NAB that if we bought one he'd make it fully enclosed so that it could be top, bottom, or remotely mounted elsewhere ;)

I'll be placing my order this week, Glenn!

It is fully enclosed - though if you do mount it elsewhere you need to make sure you have a good ground between Nomad and the FP8

Howy is also working out a few bugs with them acting as input trims.

Got the good news today that I should receive my fp8 early next week.

Jack - Do you know if the trim function bugs will be worked out by then, or will I have to wait a little longer?

If the first units are being shipped in a matter of days, why is there still no mention of the product on zaxcom.com or any commercial websites, or even a clear product name ?

Are the first buyers expected to act as beta testers ?

Please feel free to correct me if you can find any official reference to the product.

If the first units are being shipped in a matter of days, why is there still no mention of the product on zaxcom.com or any commercial websites, or even a clear product name ?

Please feel free to correct me if you can find any official reference to the product.

http://zaxcom.com/products/nomad-fp8/?utm_source=Zaxcom+Newsletter&utm_campaign=cae265ef63-Nomad_FP8_Fader_Panel_Available_Now_6_27_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ac10268843-cae265ef63-77779713

I got an email from Zaxcom today specifically about the FP8.

The simple answer:

Chassis ground and circuit ground. 

There are grounds and there are grounds.  Any resistance in a ground wire between two devices can create a ground potential offset, which can be problematic in electronics in general, and even more so with digital circuitry.  The small wires inside a multi-conductor connecting cable have some resistance, as do connector contacts themselves. 

I read through the manual this morning, and I am disappointed by some restrictions:

bVFqPHZ.png

So as a user I have no choice on where my trim knob goes, and cannot control the trims of Analog in 1 and Digital in 1, I have to choose one or the other AND it has to be on the first knob

ALSO:

9ev3cDi.png

Fixed ZaxNet unit codes, this is likely less of an issue, but I am surprised by the fixed function.

I am curious why these choices were made, certainly as this fader panel was always pitched as "any knob can control any fader/input trim/zaxnet trim" was it for the sake of simpler menus or is there an honest hardware restriction that is preventing these options?