Nomad additional 8 rotary fader option

glenn

Knobs on Zaxcom devices have always been like that (in reference to Zaxnet, at least). Interestingly, the first fader on the FP8 is numbered 11 internally, meaning they are counting the 6 hardware faders on the Nomad, and 4 Virtual faders...which I was assuming this box would have the ability to replace.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read through the manual this morning, and I am disappointed by some restrictions:

bVFqPHZ.png

So as a user I have no choice on where my trim knob goes, and cannot control the trims of Analog in 1 and Digital in 1, I have to choose one or the other AND it has to be on the first knob

ALSO:

9ev3cDi.png

Fixed ZaxNet unit codes, this is likely less of an issue, but I am surprised by the fixed function.

I am curious why these choices were made, certainly as this fader panel was always pitched as "any knob can control any fader/input trim/zaxnet trim" was it for the sake of simpler menus or is there an honest hardware restriction that is preventing these options?

Good points made and useful to know, thanks for the  effort in posting this.

It might be the result of the coding getting complex for ultimate flexibility, say like 3D chess, and it's not that it can't be done, but that Howy simply has not had the time to implement full flexibility, as yet?

Anyone happen to know (Jack perhaps?) if ultimately FP8 could (in theory) have the "any knob can control any fader/input trim/zaxnet trim" flexibility and if it's intended to be implemented?

Anyone happen to know (Jack perhaps?) if ultimately FP8 could (in theory) have the "any knob can control any fader/input trim/zaxnet trim" flexibility and if it's intended to be implemented?

Yes it is possible.

Sorry I cant give specific comments on upcoming not yet implemented software features.

Just got my FP8 and was pleased to discover I can hot swap between the FP8 and the Mix8 without resetting my fader assignments, or cycling the power. My upcoming job has me on and off the cart a lot, with a large cast, and this will help speed the transition.

attachicon.gif2014-07-03 15.48.17.jpg

Nice to see it all coming together. If i may ask: Where is your battery located in your bag?

Kelsey, what do you have between the QRX's as dividers? Is that a Zaxpaq that you've taken apart.

This is the Zaxcom rx mount without the base plate. Same thing Rado is using to mount his qrx to his nomad.

For me it makes it easy to take a receiver out and put it into my maxx bag, and also keeps a bit of ventilation.

Just got my FP8 and was pleased to discover I can hot swap between the FP8 and the Mix8 without resetting my fader assignments, or cycling the power. My upcoming job has me on and off the cart a lot, with a large cast, and this will help speed the transition.

attachicon.gif2014-07-03 15.48.17.jpg

I spoke to Howy at nab about fader assignments presets. In will not be surprised if he is working on it next.

• 1 month later...

This is the Zaxcom rx mount without the base plate. Same thing Rado is using to mount his qrx to his nomad.

For me it makes it easy to take a receiver out and put it into my maxx bag, and also keeps a bit of ventilation.

Where are you buying your qrx mounts? Searching but nothing is coming up, thanks.

Where are you buying your qrx mounts? Searching but nothing is coming up, thanks.

They are a weirdly secret product. They have thumb screws to attach to a camera like a BEC box (mounts on that same bracket that pro ENG cameras all used to have). 

I bought one a few years ago and the dealers didn't know what I was talking about. I saw them at the Zaxcom booth at an AES conference. It wasn't till the QRX was announced that I realized the holes in the box were for the LEDs for the upcoming line of QRX receivers, and were made to accommodate the QIFB antenna. Sneaky. If your dealer doesn't know what you are talking about, call Zaxcom and get the part number (i forget it offhand). 

Call Zaxcom, and press 1 for Sales.

You can order the full camera-mount version, or just the cage part.  They also have a three-pack assembly and a four-pack version.

I just received several of the cages.  They're really light weight, which was one of my concerns for using them in a bag.  I'm installing these slide-in cages in both the cart and a bag. 

Kudos to Rado for helping to blaze the trail with these.

Mine came without the felt that cushions the receiver and holds it in snugly, so I used the soft portion of some self adhesive Velcro and made my own slide-in cushioning.

I recommend that Zaxcom list these mounts -- and any other under-publicized  options -- on their web site.  Even small devices that help the end user better deploy gear is an important "value added" that should be promoted.

Mine came without the felt that cushions the receiver and holds it in snugly, so I used the soft portion of some self adhesive Velcro and made my own slide-in cushioning.

I removed the felt padding. I sometimes mount the receiver to a KTek cold-shoe plate (for something like a C300), so I had hook&loop on the receiver. I had a little frustrating incident where my added hard side stuck to the felt padding in the Zaxcom holder. hook&loop doesn't like separating laterally. My added velcro strips to the top and bottom of the RX900s & QRX effectively replaced the felt padding anyway. 

I can't remember the last time I actually got to mount the box on a camera, but I keep the RX parked in it for transport in the "hop kit" bag.