Nomad additional 8 rotary fader option

glenn

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shipping next week that's great. is it available to be seen somewhere? It is not on zaxcom.com. Is anyone beta testing that can post a handful of images? and perhaps explain its features and what it will do to expand usability of the nomad?

I actually would like to hear a long form used car salesman pitch.

JB still doesn't know the weight, and current draw; John, might these be deal-breakers ? if so, what are your limits..?

Rather than calling them "deal breakers" I'll just say that weight, size, and current draw are "deciding factors."

Instead of determining, and declaring, my limits, I'd much rather know the specifics of the device to decide if it fits my needs.

I actually would like to hear a long form used car salesman pitch.

The FP8 has 8 hardware faders that can be assigned to fade any one of the 10 analog inputs or any of the 8 digital inputs. You can also assign it to be a ZaxNet transmitter gain control knob. And any fader can be assigned any function in any combination. Howy is also working out a few bugs with them acting as input trims.

There are 8 PFL keys - one over each fader - the PFL automatically follows what is assigned to that fader. So by pressing the PFL key you will listen to what you assigned to that fader.

The panel has a dedicated record and stop key. Which will allow Nomad to start and stop recording with a quick push while you are on any screen. So there is no need to back out of a menu or sub menu screen to record - or stop recording.

There is also a function key - that key is currently assigned to act as a shortcut to the mirror menu. But there are other plans for that key in the future.

There is also a pan key that will act very similar to the way the current auto pan works - but with a dedicated key.

The FP8 is connected to Nomad via the serial port.

post-1067-0-57300200-1402206100_thumb.jp

Good call on the rec/stop buttons, one of my fave aspects of CL6.  Does this thing add analog inputs to the Nomad?  Or is it for contol of digital inputs the machine already has?  I understand it can control lots of other things too which is cool.  Re the trim thing-do you mean that the 8 knobs can also function as analog input trims for the existing analog inputs?

philp

Was it ever explained why the FP8 could not be mounted on the bottom as opposed to the top?

Not that it is a "deal-breaker". Just curiosity is all.

By the image I guess he produced without bottom surface, so the top surface of the Nomad serves the FP8 as a bottom surface. So it can be mounted only on top.

Does this thing add analog inputs to the Nomad?  Or is it for contol of digital inputs the machine already has? 

The fader panel is essentially a control surface for Nomad with some extras. All the faders can be set to control any of the 18 inputs of Nomad - analog or digital.

Was it ever explained why the FP8 could not be mounted on the bottom as opposed to the top?

Not that it is a "deal-breaker". Just curiosity is all.

The FP8 was designed to be mounted to the top of Nomad - though you can potentially do a DIY bottom mount.

There are two things that need to be done. First there no metal on the bottom of the FP8 so you would need to fashion something to close the unit. Secondly you would need to make sure you have a good physical ground between Nomad and the FP8.

Given that Glenn has mentioned if there is enough interest he would design a kit that would allow you to mount the FP8 on the bottom of Nomad - or even elsewhere in the bag. I personally like it mounted on the top.

FWIW, I went back and forth a few times with 664/CL6 and ended up with it more or less permanently on top.  The "bottom kit" is a good idea because some folks might want to use the two boxes side by side on a cart or table, or in separate pouches of a bag (I think someone mentioend doing this w/ CL6)

p