12 physical mic/line inputs on the NEXT DEVA

saxman

Hoping Glenn would chime in here

Interested other opinions and ideas relating to a wish list for the next DEVA

Would 12 or even 10 (full size xlr) actual physical mic lines on a future Deva be something most would be interested?

Not that it would be used all the time but when its needed it could really simplify things.

Also ZAXNET to be added I would assume is a no brainer

what other options would you have on your wish list?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love a bigger cart based Deva. 16 in xlr's , bigger touch screen, more options to port out the files, zaxnet, bluetooth to send files to the DIT, fins like a 57 Chevy, lake pipes......

CrewC 

The fins and lake pipes might be a bit much ...  ::)

Nice ideas

First i would like to see this new deva remains the same size.With in and out DANTE connector plus up to 32-64 tracks. Remote control from application. A re-designed control surface, smaller size than mix-12 but even more faders,say it has digital motor this time like Yamaha 01v96 we can easily change from groups. Yes built in zaxnet and also built in Zaxcom wireless mic Management page( change freq,extended setting,EQ,wake up/sleep off.etc). Automatic replace drop off from the ZAX TX.

I'm often thinking that : if the Zax TX can output its gain number and TC through audio stream to the QRX100( that's why qrx display gain number but nomad can't and TX can output its TC to QIFB ). So is that possible : for evey single TX, they output a kind of unique signal for every single FRAME via audio stream, this unique signal contains timecode metadata, and also TX's ID and NAME to make each signal different from each other and BEING UNIQUE. QRX will receive this unique signal at the first place, and tells deva or nomad which second/frame there are file missing( where drop off happened), then we push a button on our recorder tells them File Restore when TX back in range. The IFB will tells TX to playback from the missing unique signal point maybe 5seconds earlier or 3 seconds after so replace the drop off area from TX's playback.

Sent from my dream :-)

I like analog A2D XLR's because I do a lot of music recording and non Zax radio mics, but a Dante board would be great. Think of a 2 rack size Deva and all it could hold. Sometimes bigger is better. It would be counter intuitive to all the small we are getting these days.

CrewC

Or, you know, you're using heaps of analogue out wireless...think Les Mis. Zaxcom cannot afford to cater to Zaxcom wireless users only.

Zaxcom, nor any other company, can afford to cater to every single end-user in the market with an endless wish list.

I want 24 analog mic pres, 24 AES inputs, Zaxnet, built in camera hops transmitter, hard drive, CF cards, every type of computer connection, physical knobs for every input, add on expansions, multiple headphone outputs, a switchable touch screen or knob selector, and 6 sets of independent outputs. I want all of this in a box that is billet proof, light weight, able to be used in a bag or on a cart, and completely fault-free and indestructible. I also want it priced cheaper than everything else on the market that way when I answer those bullshit Craigslist ads for $100/day all-in I can afford to do it.

I also want all of the usual suspects to carry them in stock at all times and never have a back order so when I want it for that gig the next day I can stop in 5 minutes before closing and buy one...or rent it...whatever tickles my fancy.

Production Sound Mixing for Television, Film, and Commercials.

www.matthewfreed.com

Zaxcom, nor any other company, can afford to cater to every single end-user in the market with an endless wish list.

I want 24 analog mic pres, 24 AES inputs, Zaxnet, built in camera hops transmitter, hard drive, CF cards, every type of computer connection, physical knobs for every input, add on expansions, multiple headphone outputs, a switchable touch screen or knob selector, and 6 sets of independent outputs. I want all of this in a box that is billet proof, light weight, able to be used in a bag or on a cart, and completely fault-free and indestructible. I also want it priced cheaper than everything else on the market that way when I answer those bullshit Craigslist ads for $100/day all-in I can afford to do it.

I also want all of the usual suspects to carry them in stock at all times and never have a back order so when I want it for that gig the next day I can stop in 5 minutes before closing and buy one...or rent it...whatever tickles my fancy.

Production Sound Mixing for Television, Film, and Commercials.

www.matthewfreed.com

Obviously this thread is starting to go in a direction or develop a tone that was not intended.

a simple... realistic wish list was all

just ideas for glenn to see and decide whatever he wanted to decide

just realistic feedback

I'm all for realistic ideas and I didn't intend to take a tone that was snide. I just find it funny when people want absolutely everything crammed in to a box on their cart or strapped to their chest. There are trade offs when it comes to designing and building gear. Nothing wrong with a wish list but people's ideas of realistic are sometimes not real.

I will settle for world peace.  I also want my bagel served to me still hot from the oven every morning. Not cold after sitting in the bin for 2-5 hours and then toasted for a minute as if that were the same thing. Ugg.

Thanks for the thoughts. I can not discuss, confirm or deny any Deva product developments here due to competitive concerns. I of course always welcome private Emails with suggestions.

Glenn

I don't see evidence in any of these posts where people want absolutely everything in a box on their cart. If I am developing a new Deva I would like to know what my end users would like to see implemented.

I am also in the near future in the market possibly for a deva.

Here is I guess what prompted this thread:

Due to the responce on the JW sound group we have decided to make an optional fader attachment that will add 8 more rotary faders to the Nomad. The panel should allow for both fader control as well as Zaxnet control of wireless transmitter gain. We will announce price and delivery at a later time.

Thanks to all for your feedback.

Glenn Sanders

President Zaxcom Inc.

I like keeping it real too ::)

I'm all for realistic ideas and I didn't intend to take a tone that was snide. I just find it funny when people want absolutely everything crammed in to a box on their cart or strapped to their chest. There are trade offs when it comes to designing and building gear. Nothing wrong with a wish list but people's ideas of realistic are sometimes not real.

Says the guy who put up an overly sarcastic response to a post that said, in words quite calmly, why only having 2 analog inputs, and a bunch of AES wouldn't suit most people.

Anyway, no harm, no foul.

Here's what I'd want, assuming this is cart-centric (now that Nomad and Maxx have a lot of bag-centric bases covered)

16 analogue inputs (maybe 4-8 mic pres), the rest on Multipin (like Pix260)

8-16 AES inputs, with 2 AES42 inputs - This could be an option, as could the amount of Analog ins (like expansion cards, perhaps)

16-32 Dante input capable.

Scalable track recording up to 32 tracks.

Linkable TC, transport control, filenames and/or metadata if more tracks are needed.

Zaxnet output (I think I'd prefer to interface with an IFB200 or Camera Link than have it built into the box, but either way would work)

Cloud's "AutoFill" dropout overwrite idea is great.

Larger screen, wider unit.

6 output busses plus Comm, Tape, IFB and Headphone 2 (ala Nomad)

8 faders across the front (not in the 'L' shape they are now...), all software controlled routing, which brings me to:

Updated control surface with trim, pan, fade, hot key routing to outputs, transport control, external keyboard.

Stability of firmware, aligned preamps from the factory, an updated GUI.

Kind of like an O1V split into an I/O box and a control surface, with the Zax secret sauce applied liberally.

If you want a lot of inputs on XLRs, you are going to need a big recorder for all those sockets and a lot of XLRs will be a lot of weight. Cloud Wang mentions Dante. I also see this as a method of connectivity in the future. See my posting  If Zax and other recorder manufacturers follow Sound Devices (with the Pix 260) using Dante, it should not be long until Lectro (who are already Dante partners) and other forward thinking radio mic manufacturers such as Wisy, Sennheiser and Audio Ltd come up with receiver racks with Dante outputs. Then a single Cat5 would be a very attractive alternative to hectares of XLR sockets.

Tim

I would looove a new Deva. I'm kind of holding off buying a new recorder to wait for it. But if the Cantar X3 gets here first, it'll be a tough contest.

I would even settle for an updated Deva 16, which includes NeverClip and ZaxNet. Dante as an upgrade would be great, but I don't need it. I really don't want something like 32 tracks on my cart recorder. A JoeCo or a Pixie might be better suited for that. The Deva should focus on built quality, features and reliabilty, but not focus on high track count.

And don't think smaller, think bigger, especially for a new Mix controller.

I would personally not want to see too much change in a new deva, as I think it is pretty solid as-is, and it would have to compete in a new pricing arena.

I would love a few more analog inputs, but nothing in the neighborhood of 32. More like 10-12 total. I would be fine if these additional inputs were on TA3 or D-sub.

I would really like it to retain an internal HD. It just makes me feel more secure than CF alone.

An additional data port would also be welcome... Fw, USB, or TB. It's sometimes nice to be able to do a real time backup copy of an entire show or episode for production.

The only other suggestion I can think of right now is getting the outputs onto XLR. The hirose works, but its just another specialty cable we need.

No!!Its a big mistake to reheat them. Just have them cold with plenty butter! Works perfectly for toast also! Enjoy.

Neil

I would looove a new Deva. I'm kind of holding off buying a new recorder to wait for it. But if the Cantar X3 gets here first, it'll be a tough contest.

I would even settle for an updated Deva 16, which includes NeverClip and ZaxNet. Dante as an upgrade would be great, but I don't need it. I really don't want something like 32 tracks on my cart recorder. A JoeCo or a Pixie might be better suited for that. The Deva should focus on built quality, features and reliabilty, but not focus on high track count.

And don't think smaller, think bigger, especially for a new Mix controller.

I would personally not want to see too much change in a new deva, as I think it is pretty solid as-is, and it would have to compete in a new pricing arena.

I would love a few more analog inputs, but nothing in the neighborhood of 32. More like 10-12 total. I would be fine if these additional inputs were on TA3 or D-sub.

I would really like it to retain an internal HD. It just makes me feel more secure than CF alone.

An additional data port would also be welcome... Fw, USB, or TB. It's sometimes nice to be able to do a real time backup copy of an entire show or episode for production.

The only other suggestion I can think of right now is getting the outputs onto XLR. The hirose works, but its just another specialty cable we need.

I'm with Wyatt and Constantin,

I wouldn't want much to change about the deva

D sub for analog in and out (like 12 mic/line in 's would be fine)

possibly dante connectivity.

Hard drive maintained (SSD)

Thunderbolt (another data port of some sort)

Never Clip

Zaxnet

Neal Garon

Proper boiled bagels in my bit of town (not the super market impostors). Fresh is good, but if you slice before freezing they work when toasted too (the boiling/freezing process keeps them moist). Favourite filling (for cycle rides): peanut butter and halva. Dan.