12 physical mic/line inputs on the NEXT DEVA

saxman

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want it all and I want it now!

I'm all for this kind of beer drinking vamping about a new product. What harm is there in that? Every once in a while a good idea may pop up. Neal asked about the next gen Deva and what we might all want in one. No harm in that. Have some fun. Think outside the box. Zaxcom has given us a lot of great tools large and small so I don't see any of this as criticism of them. It's just spitballing around a subject that we all have in common.    

I still want fins and lake pipes.... or at least a nod to some industrial design in the next generation big Deva.

CrewC

I like the idea of scalability. Lugging around a 16 channel recorder seems silly when the gig only calls for four channels. However, having a base unit that can do 8 channels but can be expanded via external faders and inputs would be great. Perhaps the expansion could be ordered in a few options: 8 XLR inputs, 8 channels of AES, 8 channels of some other industry standard input, etc. The add-on unit would have physical knobs, perhaps a screen for info related to those channels, and be connected via a data cable or sensor (kind of like how an STA connects to a 900AA).

Personally, I prefer CF cards or other small, removable media. I do like a few computer interfaces like FireWire, USB, or can and string.

Hot swappable external batteries/power would be great! I do like how I can have an NP1 powering a 788t but when I need to swap it out the unit automatically switches to the attached battery. That way I don't have to power down just to change batteries.

Physical input gain knob(s) rather than software. Perhaps akin to the Nomad where a multi-use knob controls gain when that channel is selected. However, I do also like individual physical gain knobs but they take up space and of course add weight.

I would like to finally have that airplane filter I keep hearing so much about from the camera department.

Production Sound Mixing for Television, Film, and Commercials.

www.matthewfreed.com

" Just have them cold with plenty butter! "

but then the butter doesn't melt.  :(

" I still want fins and lake pipes.... "

dual headlights

" airplane filter I keep hearing so much about from the camera department. "

impervious to camera fan noises (via: built in noise canceling)

More analog inputs please!! 16 would be ideal, 16 AES surely would compliment. Could care less how they accomplish this, either TA3 or D-sub. Can't imagine anything new from Zaxcom being without Neverclip, so that's a no brainer. Internal removeable hard drives keeping current with the current line. It's a cart based mixer weight is not a concern, I would never have a plan to use it that way. Knobs, meh!

What would be cool is a dual CF card burner, with ability to burn separate file types. For instance, poly multitrack wav files AND a mono Mix only, simultaneously. As well as an external archive hard drive. All burning together. This would be a great time saver, and I could lose my 744t that burns the Mix only card. I don't like waiting for a separate card to burn that Backup/Dailies CF card at the end of the day.

More analog inputs please!! 16 would be ideal, 16 AES surely would compliment. Can't imagine anything new from Zaxcom being without Neverclip, so that's a no brainer. Internal removeable hard drives keeping current with the current line. Could care less how they accomplish this, either TA3 or D-sub. It's a cart based mixer weight is not a concern, I would never have a plan to use it that way. Knobs, meh!

What would be cool is a dual CF card burner, with ability to burn separate file types. For instance, poly multitrack wav files AND a mono Mix only, simultaneously. As well as an external archive hard drive. All burning together. This would be a great time saver, and I could lose my 744t that burns the Mix only card. I don't like waiting for a separate card to burn that Backup/Dailies CF card at the end of the day.

All of those seem very reasonable to me. I also like the idea of an external display option.

CrewC

I also would love to see more analog in's...for me 12 would be ideal. Might as well include the "never clip" feature and I like the idea of more port options for exporting files to allow simultaneos archive capture to a separate drive  while utilizing the CF format . An external display option to I-Pad or tablet would be cool...my eyes aren't what they used to be.

Last year I already had someone want me to wear a fusion 12 with 11 wires and a boom. Covering 30 people I declined

Yikes! This would be hard with two mixers!

I'm trying to envision how much space 12 full-size XLR connectors would take up on a panel. That would dictate part of the size of the machine, and the tendency lately has been to make recorders smaller, not bigger. 

I think a cart-based mixer/recorder could stay the same size as the existing Deva provided there's some kind of fool-proof breakout box that could expand it. I bet this could be done with USB or a similar kind of connector to provide a panel connection on the back of the cart for the additional inputs. Heck, you could probably go 16 channels or more this way -- maybe with part of the preamp circuitry in the panel, which would sit on the back of the cart. Unplug from that, and you still have six inputs in the bag.

The key to me is to make the Deva completely solid state, very low power, absolutely rock solid, and with the ability to record high track numbers on three kinds of media simultaneously. I would bet 16 tracks of 192kHz/24-bit should be more than enough for anybody. (And then there'll be that one guy who says, "can't I have 24 tracks?")

In speaking with another sound mixer his feeling was that the processor should be as fast as possible.

so...

- A very fast processor

- Additional mic line inputs as well was high on his list

- Additional data ports (i.e. usb 3.0 or Thunderbolt)

Neal Garon

First and formost, I'd like to see the new gen Deva have WAY more processing power & memory than initially needed, so it'll accommodate any & all future firmware function upgrades, WITHOUT having to pick & choose which ones to use. The current gen Deva's processors can't handle many functions being turned on at once, as it bogs down the machine and/or the machine acts funny. I hope they replace the FW-400 with the latest USB and/or Thunderbolt. - Jamie Scarpuzza

I love my Zaxcom Deva's,they are absolutely fantastic but i have had two shows (Green Zone and Les Mis) where i had to link them together to provide 26 tracks (two mix tracks and 24 ISO's),so for me,my natural instinct is to hope for a 32 track cart based Deva that can go on the shoulder to grab a shot here and there if need be.

The Deva for me has been a game changer and i think it will continue to be with its next incarnation.

I love my Zaxcom Deva's,they are absolutely fantastic but i have had two shows (Green Zone and Les Mis) where i had to link them together to provide 26 tracks (two mix tracks and 24 ISO's),so for me,my natural instinct is to hope for a 32 track cart based Deva that can go on the shoulder to grab a shot here and there if need be.

The Deva for me has been a game changer and i think it will continue to be with its next incarnation.

With Zaxcom motorized XLR ejectors? :)

How did you manage monitoring with two Devas, two sets of cans?

Left ear - Right ear, that's insanity...  but I guess it is something you managed to do quite successfully. A few times in the past I have done with, for special situations, where there is one signal in left ear and a different signal in right ear --- I could never get used to it and found it very disconcerting. So many, many years of monitoring in mono, I'm sure I have ever been able to re-wire my brain to do anything different.

Jeff,

I often monitor different signals in each ear (boom 1 in the left and boom 2 in the right for instance),

so that is quite normal for me,but listening to one machine in the left and the other in the right and trying to

solo tracks on each was not something i want to do again..............