Saw this one today

$475 with boomie?  Jeez.  Here's the ad.

Location Los Angeles, CA, US

Position

Sound Mixer

Title

Bitter Grave

Production Company

Fire Sign Films

Job Description

Vacancy: Non-Union Sound Mixer for Crime Thriller
Duration: Est. 3 weeks

Feature film seeks an experienced Sound Mixer for a project to start May 3rd. On-location shoots are in LA, Sun Valley, and Agua Dulce. We're not filming on a soundstage so clean on-location recording experience is a must.

Applicants who come with their own gear and a Boom Operator will be considered first.

This 2-Camera (Red Epic) shoot requires the following equipment at a minimum:
-Smart slate
-Lockit boxes (one for each camera)
-4 wireless mics (plus one backup)
-4 Comtechs minimum (8 ideally)
-Boom
-Selection of microphones
-6-8 CH. mixer

17 Shoot days: May 3 - May 24

Compensation for this SAG Modified Low Budget film is $475/day, all in.

Please send resume & 2 post-production references

Thank you!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I saw this posting too on Staff me up. The sad thing is that this site used to be realitystaff.com and the postings were normally fairly well paying reality show gigs. Now it's been taken over by Staff me up, the level of service has gone down. When it was realitystaff  there was the ability to customise cover letters etc for free, but now those features are part of a paid for add on premium service. Also I'm finding that now that there are an increasing number of crappy 'Subway Tuna' gigs appearing. It will probably end up becoming yet another CL or Mandy

Truth --> They will get the sound they deserve. They might also accidentally catch a few bits that actually sound good.

Sadly, some fool will take this job hoping to add a line to their credit sheet and they will lose their shirt, have terrible sound, run screaming from the credits, or all of the above.

" Yes I saw this posting too "

are people looking in the wrong places for real jobs...

" Sadly, some fool will take this job hoping to add a line to their credit sheet "

well,  it is a feature film...

and it is being shot on two RED cameras,

and best of all, it is achance to work with Fire Sign Films...

-must be a big time outfit, as they need 8 of those tech-thingy's..

" clean on-location recording experience is a must. "

which depends on location selection, among other things...

Right... This might as well say "We know we didn't prepare properly, but you are still going to get blamed when our bridge location is too noisy."

That was the first thing I thought: the Subway Tuna Syndrome... "we're shooting right by a freeway, and also at the beach, and also by an airport... is that a problem?" 

people have tried that. I think there is a thread about it. The idea is to make a noise canceling track, kind of how some cell phones do it. You use the same mic as the boom. The second mic is pointed generally in the same direction as the boom mic but positioned to not catch any dialog. The idea is that any environmental sounds could later be removed, sort of. It sounds like shotguns are too directional for this to work right. I meant to try it out sometime (not while on set) and see what happens.

people have tried that. I think there is a thread about it. The idea is to make a noise canceling track, kind of how some cell phones do it. You use the same mic as the boom. The second mic is pointed generally in the same direction as the boom mic but positioned to not catch any dialog. The idea is that any environmental sounds could later be removed, sort of. It sounds like shotguns are too directional for this to work right. I meant to try it out sometime (not while on set) and see what happens.

I swear to you on a stack of Howard Tremaine's "Audio Cyclopedias" , you will get 3 dB more street noise.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro 

I was going to say something about different wavelengths, including critically short ones at frequencies that would interfere with dialog, resulting in essentially random cancellation and amplification throughout the band...

But Larry said it better.

Say No - Feel Better

Today I refuse a feature film (and it's my first feature film) request. Why?

Here the new "fashion" from producers. You are paid with % (for example 5% max) from the sells of film at cinemas. And if the film find the road for cinemas.

So what that means. For example. Your final rate is 1.000 euro (labor/gear). The film find a distributor and going to cinemas. You are paid the final cost (1.000 euro)? No. Your paid it's 50 euro. The film need to sell more to cover the cost of 1.000 euro. Your paid it's coming from the profits but they can't overload the 1.000 euros.

That mean: They need to close the cycle of Festivals. After to find a distributor for cinema. It's 2 or 3 years to receive a 50 euro. You have done a film in 2013 and your 50 euro it's at 2015 or 2016.

Now all the sound mixers here we are in the fire for that. We start to run to stop this madness.

Be aware and keep your eyes OPEN.

Vasileios, that deal also puts you at the mercy of the film's accountants and official books. At least in Hollywood, that's been a black hole for most of the past century.

Also... 5% for a crew member? Reminds me of the plot to The Producers.

Hi Jay,

I reject the job. For sure. I'm not the co-producer and also the rate who ask it's nothing.

I don't know how the production sound mixers paid in Hollywood but that request to me it's crazy.